What's new

How often do you get a barbershop shave?

Ive never gotten one in my life. Not even once. I find the thought of someone else using a razor on my face quite unnerving.

Since these fine folks are professionals however, I assume the wet shave you get at a barbershop will be superior to what you get at home, albeit more expensive.

How often do you people get one? Do you notice a difference ih the quality of the shave and overall experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me it’s a luxury spend. The experience of a hot towel shave is lovely. It makes you feel special. And it’s great for a special,occasion as well. I have full trust in the specially trained staff doing the shaving. But, it’s temporary. The shave is usually very close and may cover me for two or maybe even three days. Still, the hair grows back. And I revert to shaving at home. So to me, it’s a treat spend but clearly not an essential one in any way. I base my experience on the London luxury stores where I am fortunate to have had the experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I lived in NYC I'd treat myself to a saturday morning trim and shave 3-4 times a month. Loved the steam towel treatment. My father and I had our own shave mugs and brush that our barber kept on shelf. I think my last shave there was around 1979

I've enjoyed barbershop shaves on and off for the past 30+ years, since age 17. When I was younger they were amazing experiences and surprisingly affordable. In the past decade or so the cost has gone up quite a bit and there's much more "variance" in the technique used by barbers. Admittedly, the quality of the shaves have gone downhill over the past couple of years as the older barbers retire but once in a while I'll still experience a shave that is amazing.

In my personal experience, I give myself a better shave than those that I've paid. I think the difference is that they all use disposable straights and because of it dont really focus on the technique (scraping my skin).
I think you would have to go to an old school barber, and most of those in my area are not that (west coast). If anyone is in the bay area and has a recommendation I would love to hear.

Never. Sort of. I'll explain. Each November, I grow a beard for No Shave November. I raise money during the month to support the fight against cancer. 100% of funds I raise I given to organizations who fund research, provide treatment, etc. My first year doing this was about 5 years ago. On the last day of November, I made an appointment at local barber shop to have a good shave to celebrate the end of the No Shave November month. Well, I'm in NC. Apparently, a barber has to use a shavette and can't use an actual straight. So, long story short, the only barber shop shave I've ever had wasn't a true and authentic one. He used heated lather from a machine, but did put in some other stuff before all that to help soften my beard. During the shave, he gave me a pretty gnarly nick on my chin that bled for some time. So, in essence, I've never had a true barber shave with a straight. And the one shave I did have didn't go very well.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I haven't gone to a barber for ANYTHING in at least 25 years. I cut my own hair better. I definitely shave my face better. And I don't have to pay anyone. There are very few barbers today who know how to shave a face properly. None have sharp razors and most places they are not allowed to use a proper razor, anyway. I understand that many guys simply are not that picky, but if I am paying for a shave, I expect it to be at least as good as the shave I give myself, and not done with a shavette, either. That ain't happening in the USA, apart from a very, very few totally old school barbershops. Even then, it is the spoilage and not the actual shave that is the real treat.

Great question!!

This is on my ‘to do’ list. Wish the barbers around here did straight razor shaves!

The other day when i was getting a haircut, my barber told me to come in for a shave sometime. I wasn’t going to, but out of curiosity i asked him what kind of razors he uses. I was expecting him to say double edge or a shavette, but turns out he uses electric razors.

I was more dissapointed at that moment than Lennon was with McCartney when they made The White Album.

took an indulgent barber shave while in Genoa last week!
At the historic Antica Barbiera Giacalone.
Ferderico, expert, master barber. Spoke no English but we still 'conversed' nicely.
He demonstrated his regular straight and strop.
Nevertheless, shaved with a shavette and DE blade, per regulations.
Proraso red shave cream and Omega boar brush; Proraso green aftershave.
Totally comfortable, clean and smooth.
Cost 15 euro.
Nice luxury experience!

antica barbieria genova barber shave 2019.jpg

took an indulgent barber shave while in Genoa last week!
At the historic Antica Barbiera Giacalone.
Ferderico, expert, master barber. Spoke no English but we still 'conversed' nicely.
He demonstrated his regular straight and strop.
Nevertheless, shaved with a shavette and DE blade, per regulations.
Proraso red shave cream and Omega boar brush; Proraso green aftershave.
Totally comfortable, clean and smooth.
Cost 15 euro.
Nice luxury experience!

View attachment 1032538

Regulations as in what most barbers prefer? Or regulations as in what is mandated by law in Italy?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
None have sharp razors and most places they are not allowed to use a proper razor, anyway. I understand that many guys simply are not that picky, but if I am paying for a shave, I expect it to be at least as good as the shave I give myself
I would say I generally agree with you. You need to get to a country that isn't a nanny state and find some old bugger using a true straight and then I'll bet you get a good shave, or time travel back to pre 1980 in the United States. When I was a kid, the barber would use a straight on the back of my neck during a hair cut.

Barbershop shave is a luxury spend fo me too. Usually when on vacation I’ll seek out a local shop and treat myself.

I never have been shaved by a barber on my face, maybe only the back of my neck using a shavette. Now days I even cut my own hair (it worked for Carey Grant).

It's my understanding that most barbers aren't particularly talented at shaving anymore. In Florida the regulations are fairly onerous, and barber shaving so infrequent, that it won't really resemble the type of experience you can get at home.

My dad is friends with a barber that I used to go to, he was the town barber when I was a young adult. Of course he's retired now. He actually used to give straight razor shaves, many decades ago before the regulations were different, and gifted my family with his old straight razors, many of which were made in Spain and look immaculate. I doubt they have seen all that much use, even though he received training in how to shave, back in the day. Curiously enough, he was not keen on alum blocks when my dad asked him about them.

Of course, back in the day there was a fair share of bad shaves from barbers. That's part of the reason that safety razors became a thing.

Last edited:
I've had two barber shaves to date. The first was when I was considering trying straight razors and it was a great experience. I had never had such a close and comfortable shave.

Then I started into straights. And as I gained some proficiency I realized that that "marvelous" shave hadn't actually been that great. The overall experience was pure luxury, but the shave itself was CCS approaching DFS.

I later had an opportunity for a Master Barber (whatever that is) shave. Not only was it a sub-par shave, I walked away with two nicks.

Bottom line, the experience is fun and luxurious, but the shave is likely just so-so. Nobody shaves you as well as you do assuming a minimum level of proficiency.

My first straight shave was in 1960 on my 18th birthday. The barber, Sal, used a straight. It was during the week and nobody else was in the shop. The prep and post-shave were the best part. I enjoyed it tremendously. Hot towel, rubbing a preshave oil on my skin, warm lather from the lather machine, and a two-pass shave. Afterward, it was with hazel rubbed onto my face and neck and a special aftershave balm. I have had a few after that but none as memorable as my first one.

Who the hell would pay for an electric shave?

Considering you can buy a new entry-level, plug-in Philips shaver for 17 bucks, or a Braun pocket shaver for a bit more... I would question their sanity.

I think that just shows you why few people go to a barber to get a shave. Now days there's so many options. Shaving has become democratized and commodified.

I’ve had about 3 head shaves for mixed results
They charged me about $50 Australian dollars abit pricey
I wouldn’t have another one I enjoy doing it myself and it’s far cheaper

Top Bottom