What's new

How often do you draw/puff on your pipe?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
My last bowl lasted me about 30 minutes. From what some of you guys wrote I guess I should be happy with that. I enjoyed it very much. Right now I do a bowl about every-other day. I'm enjoying smoking my pipes more now than ever before. In part thanks to this forum and all you guys that help out. Thanks again.

Thirty minutes is a fine smoke. And if you enjoyed it, you hit a home run.

Need a longer smoke time? That's why God created reloads.

Puff frequency is done by feel, and varies with the pipe. The point is to keep the thing lit, and not overheated.

Acquiring this feel is the core of acquiring the art of pipe smoking.

I once tried to deviate from my acquired intuition. I was at a pipe show, and in a contest to see how long people could keep a pipe going. We were issued the same pipe, a measured amount of tobacco, and two matches.

I did poorly. I think I was the 4th to drop out, from among 30-50 participants.

I think I may be drawing on my pipe too often. I draw at least once a minute. Is that too often? How often do you puff on it?
I enjoy it but I think I do a bowl to quickly.

Yikes...too many variables IMHO to give a good answer....

So much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens

William Carlos Williams

I dont know my "puff rate" never thought about it really.
Most of my smokes last between 20 - 45 minutes mostly depending on the size of the pipe I select.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So smoking last night, I was puffing pretty much the whole time, nothing close to once a minute. They are very shallow puffs, no big clouds of smoke.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Do you have to relight often because you don't puff often?

I was actually puffing most of the time. Something like the “Breathe” method I guess. Despite that if I don’t keep up on tamping it’s goes out.

Top Bottom