What's new

How often do you clean your brushes?

How often do you all clean your shaving brushes? I got to thinking about this today, after I cleaned the one I had just shaved with. I usually clean my with detergent or shampoo every three or four months. I have a brush rotation so one brush doesn't get used for more than a few days and then another takes its place. I have no idea if I even need to clean them that often, but I do it.

Recently I can't seem to be able to get rid of all the soap/cream residue from the knot, no matter how thoroughly I rinse it. So I'm going to clean my brushes in a vinegar solution and then a borax solution. I haven't done that for several months.

On the one hand, I clean them after each use but it may not be the same as what other guys do. After shaving, I hold the brush under warm (not hot hot) water circling the knot at the base (kinda like the "OK" sign. I squeeze and relax and squeeze and relax the knot under the water until all traces of soap are gone. Then, I give it a final squeeze in the sink and shake it well in the shower (neatness, doncha know).

Brush it it up and down and side to side (gently) on a clean towel and hang it on my stand until the next day and then back on the shelf until it's used next (usually 2-4 days). I've done this for years and feel my brushes are in great shape. When they are totally dry, I comb them out as well.

I usually use the same brush for about a month before switching. I thoroughly rinse and dry after each use, but wash it with a mild straight shampoo(no conditioner, etc...)with another thorough rinse and dry when I rotate to the next brush. So, about once a month, and all of my brushes are still in really good condition. Do you need to clean them? I don't know, but IMO it doesn't hurt to take extra care of your stuff.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm rotating three SV 2.0 brushes at the moment.... they are pretty good right out of the "box" but they improve with time. I bought one used here from @SgtCrppls so I know where they will end up... spectacular for me. As always, YMMV. Like everything else, we each end up developing preferences.

A few years ago I re-knotted a Badger brush that I'd used for around 30 years. It had only been throughly rinsed and dried after each shave. It was wore out, but clean.
There may be a good reason to 'clean' a brush, but I've never seen the need. After all, I shave with soap. But who knows, I could be all wet.:sad:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I never clean my brushes, or razors, as a thorough rinse after use is all that is needed. I am fortunate to have a very soft domestic water supply but I can well imagine that if I lived in a hard water area then some additional cleaning might be required, possibly using a cleaning product or solution. The same soft water makes lathering any soap a very simple process.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Our tap water is horrendous. Still, I clean my brushes after I use them like I would a professional grade paint brush.

I plan to use the Ship-Shape as needed but I doubt I'll need to clean my brushes more than once a year. I guess I need to pick a date. <eg>

Our tap water is horrendous. Still, I clean my brushes after I use them like I would a professional grade paint brush.

I plan to use the Ship-Shape as needed but I doubt I'll need to clean my brushes more than once a year. I guess I need to pick a date. <eg>
A small nylon bristle fingernail brush works great. So does a toothbrush.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I wonder if users like myself who simply rinse their brushes with no extra cleaning required are living in soft water areas. Brush maintenance is so very simple that for there to be significant numbers of experienced B&B members who are having to clean their brushes then there must be another factor in play. I wonder if they have a hard water domestic supply with a high mineral content which is causing a build up of residue in the knot. If so then simply advising them to rinse their brush thoroughly or wash it out in the shower is pretty useless advice 👍

Top Bottom