What's new

How often do you clean your brushes?

Except I have hardish water from my well and no issues.
I have a water softening and filtration system as well and never do anything for my brushes except rinsing them well and shaking excess water off. Then I rub them a bit over a dry towel and put them away. If you get soap scum or calcium you can soak them in white vinegar and water for a while until they’re clean. A 50/50 mixture works fine.

Kinda my thinking but what do I know? Well, I know that none of my brushes are newer than 10 years old and all continue to perform admirably and they all smell good:

Kent BK4 Super Badger
Kent BK8 Silvertip Badger
EJ Super Badger
T&H (Rooney) Silvertip Badger
Vulfix 404 Badger/Boar
Nice brush collection. I have all those and a couple of Simpson, a Baxter, Thäter as well. Mine too are all older except the Thäter which is new.

How often do you all clean your shaving brushes? I got to thinking about this today, after I cleaned the one I had just shaved with. I usually clean my with detergent or shampoo every three or four months. I have a brush rotation so one brush doesn't get used for more than a few days and then another takes its place. I have no idea if I even need to clean them that often, but I do it.
I clean mine after I’m done using it. Just water, a good shake and rub it over a towel. I have never done any other cleaning on them and I have about 8 silver tip badger brushes of varying brands for well over a decade and a half. Never had an issue. I use both soaps and creams. Again, no issues.

I have a water softening and filtration system as well and never do anything for my brushes except rinsing them well and shaking excess water off. Then I rub them a bit over a dry towel and put them away. If you get soap scum or calcium you can soak them in white vinegar and water for a while until they’re clean. A 50/50 mixture works fine.
I agree. Never had the need to clean mine but that’s what I’ve been told as well.

I’ll clean the one I using every month or so. I’ll clean one before leaving for work ”Merchant Seaman” as it will be put in storage for a few months. Normally use dish washing soap maybe some vinegar and water. That’s about it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It’s been about a year since I used ShipShape brush cleaner on all my brushes. I do a thorough cleaning after every use, of course, but when we get back to the States, I’ll run all of them through ShipShape to get off the minerals from our horrible tap water and do a final rinse in filtered water from our Berkey.

If I notice a lot of buildup (I have fairly hard water) or if performance seems affected I do the vinegar solution cleaning per the instructions in the sticky thread. So as needed I suppose.

When it needs it.

I thoroughly rinse my brush after each shave. Then, when I feel noticeable soap residue on the knot, I gently wash the brush using very mild shampoo. How often? Depends on how much you use the brush, your choice of creams and soaps, and your water.

My favorite mild shampoo is this one from Trader Joe's:

1683159362410.png

Last one I bought was Gillette made in India, rinse off after use, air dry, nothing else.

Was from EBay like 4 bucks years ago.

Next brush will be better, will care g do or better.

Top Bottom