What's new

How often do you change your blades?

I change them when I notice they are less sharp or tug. Today I retired a Wizamet Polsilver Stainless blade with 29 shaves on it. It was not tugging, but, I noticed resistance on a 48 hour beard. I have only started counting shaves in the last few months since I became active on B&B again. Before I would change them every month or two.

I have used perma sharp 4 times and I don't really feel any tugging in the 4th use. I suspect that it will last for a 5th shave as well. I have tried astra green for up to 3 shaves and I plan to check them for more.
However, I have the impression that this depends on the type of facial hair.

When I notice a degradation in performance or when I seek variety. Usually 8-10 shaves. Shortest with Feathers (3-6 shaves), longest with German or UK Wilkinson Sword (30-48).

Mostly after 3-4 shaves, but in some cases 5. It really depends how often I shave, because if I haven't shave in a week or more, a fresh blade gets destroyed after 2-3 shaves and if I shave every day, I can get at least 4 shaves out of my favorite blades with ease, so it really depends on how often I shave.

I've read people changing them after every shave, since most are 10-15 cents each. Others seem to be able to get 20, 30, 40+ quality shaves with certain blades. I use a Henson, and their FAQ page suggested every 5-7 shaves.

So I settled on once a week, on Friday or Saturday - usually 3 or (rarely) 4 shaves. Being a noob, I don't figure I'll be able to tell if a mediocre shave is due to the blade or my own bad form, so I put in a new blade to shave before a date night! I've since learned that the first shave with a blade isn't necessarily the best, but haven't come up with a compelling reason to pick any other day either, so I haven't.

I use a blade exactly once. Wasteful, I know. However, I headshave… so I sort of count that as more than one shave.

No more than 3 for a premium blade or 2 for a mid-tier. Most of days I’m switching razors and using a fresh blade. I have ~20 years of blades on hand if I’m one-and-done and shave 365 days a year.

I used to get 5 shaves out of a blade, but I had one razor and one brand of blades.

Hi,

How often do you change you blades?
I change between after 3-5 shaves.

//H

Mine is a set pattern of 3 shaves. I shave daily, and have 11 razors. I have an iPhone reminder which pops up once every 33 days :D

To be totally honest, at most times, I've felt that I could easily shave once or twice more with each blade but I don't bother, and 3 it always has been. What's crucial to mention, which wasn't there in your question, is the frequency of shaving, because if you lower the frequency of the shave to once every other day, the 3 can reduce to even 1; that bit isn't at all linear.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Rarely more than once a week . . . which usually nets me five to seven good shaves.

I started shaving with Marlin blues back in the '60s when maybe, and with proper care, you could squeeze two to three shaves from a blade. When the first s/s Wilkie Swords came out, I felt as if I could shave for a month with one, and often did. Of course, my beard was not as formidable then.

After one week or 5 shaves. If I try to go more than that I sometimes forget to use light pressure after I change a blade!

Top Bottom