What's new

How often do the clean the soap scum off your razor?

How often do you clean the soap scum off your razor?

Do you give it the Rolls Royce treatment?

I like shaving with a pristine razor.

I used to clean it every other blade change, so about 2 weeks, but now I am thinking it's a bit anal to do so.

I clean mine every time I shave . It's probably over kill but I'd rather take good care of my equipment so I get consistent results every time .

I wipe my razors clean and dry the off after every shave, usually right after I apply my alum. By the time I'm done cleaning my razor the alum is ready to be rinsed off. Every few months I'll take my frequently used razors and soak the in dish detergent and give them a good wipe down just to make sure they're spotless. Then I'll wipe them with alcohol and throw them back into the rotation. It's my take that when you're razor has the possibility of removing skin and drawing blood it had better be clean. Maybe working at the hospital so long has turned me into a Germifobe, but it makes me happy so I do it.

I clean my razors about once a year, whether they need it or not.

And they always get polished up before I take an SOTD pic.

After I shave, I apply after shave, clean my brush, take my blade out, spray scrubbing bubbles on my razor, rinse and dry.
I'm a little OCD but I shave at night so I have plenty of time to do this. I may not use the same razor for a month or two, I don't think I could live with myself knowing it sit there that long dirty.

Not nearly as often as I probably should. I just rinse and blow on the razor, then leave it to dry.
When I change blades I usually dry the plates with a towel but that's it.

Mind you though that I basically only use 3 razors. My ASD2 as daily driver, the Braveheart about 2x a week and the DOC for arm pits etc. So I might not be comparable to gentlemen who have 30 razors in their rotation :D

I shave with a different razor every day and scrub the razor in hot water, then dry and polish it with a towel after every shave. I also rinse the blade under the cold tap at full pressure before blowing hard to get rid of any water residue.
For a very good reason........

The tap water in Mallorca is some of the worst anywhere in Spain, if it wasn't bad enough that it's hard water, it's got traces of lead due to the ancient plumbing they used up until the 1980s, there are also traces of Nitrates, which are a by-product of having 4x the recommended levels of Chlorine, which is necessary to deal with the traces of E-coli in the water supply.
It's classed as fit for human consumption, but tourists who are naive enough to believe that and use it to brush their teeth, or worse drink it wonder why they get an upset stomach, but usually blame it on something that they ate the night before - usually a greasy doner kebab at silly o'clock in the morning !!
It takes 1-2 weeks for the body to build up a tolerance, but having said that, very few Spanish or Expats use the water for anything except washing or cooking - boil it in the kettle and it will spoil the taste of your tea or coffee, and fur up the inside of the kettle !!
Most people pay 60c for a 6 litre bottle of water and use it for drinking and boiling the kettle, the really sensible ones also use it to brush their teeth - but I prefer to just put toothpaste on a dry toothbrush, brush my teeth, then rinse with mouthwash - no water of any description passes my lips when I brush my teeth !!

Back to razors, I decided that if I'm going to clean my razor after every shave, I might as well shave with a different razor every day - it adds plenty of variety to my shaves, and my razors are always in pristine condition. I alternate between TTO and 3-Piece razors with the same writing on the blade facing upwards, so technically I'm flipping the blades too.
It only takes 30 seconds and saves a lot of time and elbow grease in the long run. Every so often I'll do a deep clean with baby shampoo followed by a final polish with toothpaste.

If (perish the thought) I didn't look after my razors and blades, and just gave them a quick rinse with the blade still in, and used the same razor every day until it was time to toss the blade, they would be caked in gunk and soap scum after only 3-4 days and covered in little white blotches from dried on Chlorine residue (which would eventually corrode the plating) and would look like something that had been lying forgotten about for years in a drawer.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I rinse and take the 3 piece apart and wipe it dry .If I noticed any build up I break out the old tooth brush and just give her a little scrub under the water. The blade is rinsed and dried then put back in the same razor or passed on to the next.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I wipe the outside dry every day. On blade changes I look to see if there is any buildup inside the razor. If yes, I use an old toothbrush to clean it. It depends on the design of the razor, but with my Wolfman it's every 2nd or 3rd blade change.

Probably once every 2-3 weeks. When I see more build-up on the inside of the razor. I don't like messing up with my razor. Shave, leave it on the counter, shave again tomorrow.

Top Bottom