What's new

How My Dad Shaves

I never really talked to my dad about shaving when I first started. I bought a Mach3 and the standard Gillette shaving cream online. I figured out how it was supposed to work on my own, and I never really had any problems.

Last night I talked with my dad about how he shaves. Here's what he said: (Warning: It's possible you might get razor burn from just READING the next passage, continue at your own risk) He uses a beard trimmer on his beard, which is about an inch wide and runs down the jawline but is only on his face (meaning not on his neck at all) and also forms a goatee. on the rest of his face (the top of his cheeks and his neck) he uses a Gillette twin-blade with NO shaving cream at all. He does a few "passes", including against the grain, and he doesn't use aftershave. I'm not sure exactly how long he's been doing it like this, but it's been a very long time.

All I have to say is thank God I didn't learn how to shave from him. I know this doesn't sound that bad, especially after reading the "worst pre-wetshaving experience" thread, but keep in mind he does this willingly every single day.

Just thought I'd share

Interesting story. This gives some credence to the claim of one blogger (no, not that blogger) that shaving cream is a crock. It seems like maybe for some people it actually is unnecessary.

If he does the actual shave portion in the shower, I've heard that the multiblade razors used with just water aren't too bad, some people even claim it is better than using a shave gel. If outside the shower, ouch! My dad told me about how much he hated having to do dry shaves while in navy boot camp.

Some people prefer to not use cream, foam or gel, just water. There is at least one member, the name escapes me, at Straight razor place that swears by using water and no cream or soap.

I think that is crazy, but whatever works for you.

For me, the trail to wetshaving began a couple of months ago with the article about The Shaving Cream Racket.

Shave without shaving cream? It sounded like a crazy idea, but I was willing to try crazy ideas. I've always had trouble getting a good shave. I knew perfectly well that the standard advice of "shave with the grain, never against the grain" was ridiculous. I was already getting crummy shaves, so what did I have to lose?

I put away the can of Edge, and used mineral oil with the Mach 3 one morning (after dousing my face thoroughly with hot water, of course). To my surprise it worked fine.

The mineral oil left me feeling too oily (imagine that), so I switched to aloe vera gel. That also worked just fine.

This led me to some googling, through which I discoverd badger brushers, DE razors, and Badger and Blade. I have returned to using shaving cream, but the can of Edge is still in storage.

Hitmeandilltellu said:
he uses a Gillette twin-blade with NO shaving cream at all. He does a few "passes", including against the grain, and he doesn't use aftershave. I'm not sure exactly how long he's been doing it like this, but it's been a very long time.

All I have to say is thank God I didn't learn how to shave from him. I know this doesn't sound that bad, especially after reading the "worst pre-wetshaving experience" thread, but keep in mind he does this willingly every single day.

Just thought I'd share

Just think if you would have learned how to shave from him- your experience might have been the top story. Oh, well the road not taken......:wink:

Marty

when my dad was in the army in Europe, (many years ago) very often he told me had to shave dry. I tried it once, because for some stupid reason, I forgot my brush and cream, and I swear, never again.

Jeff

Well, there's efficacy and there's enjoyment,

For me, a good shaving cream addresses both aspects of the shaving process. Nuff said.:cool:

Back when I was a teenager, and could readily find BIC Metal disposables at the grocer's, I would shave "dry" (Water only). It gave me a fantastic shave, with little irritation. I did use after shave, which was aqua velva.

Of course as i got older, that method became increasingly uncomfortable. I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence, but that was also about when the BIC Metal was startng to become harder to find.

...I'm about ready to buy a pack of them online to see if it was just a case of my face changing, or if those razors were actually that good.

Hi all,

I just read the post by catatonic and had to respond.

I use a Bic Metal during every shave to touchup my chin and neck and to also shave my upper lip...I find the thin design of the razor helps with this area.

Anyway, I often do the touchup portion without cream or soap and simply wet the area I need to touchup.

I find the Bic Metals to be wonderful razors for this purpose. I don't like the razor for a full shave just the "maintenance" stage.

I find the razors at Walgreen's in my area.

Patrick

I shaved like that for years without irritation. No beard, so I shaved the entire face, I didn't even bother splashing water on my face, I only used water to keep the razor clean. A friend of mine at work shaves the same way. Your face gets used to it, and it's not a problem at all. In my case, when I started shaving as a teenager the aerosol creams didn't do anything but gum up the razor, so I only used them for a few weeks. My skin kept adjusting over the years as my beard got heavier. Then I grew a beard for several years, and when I decided to shave it off my skin wouldn't take that kind of shaving regimen anymore. Unfortunately, aerosol cream still didn't do any good, so I used an electric for about ten years before switching to soap, brush, and a DE (before switching to the straight).

Top Bottom