What's new

How much would you pay for a vintage straight razor?

I'm not particularly thinking of those who collect straight razors and may pay a lot to fill in a spot in their collection but, in general, what is your price limit when looking at vintage straight razors?

I use all my straight razors in a rotation and generally try to keep them to about 7 or so. If I buy a razor I'll end up selling one I like less to make room. These days if I buy something it is mainly due to unique looks.

It's more enjoyable, for me, to "Buy Me Now" on Ebay rather than get involved in an auction. The more unique ones tend to end up in auctions it seems. There always has to be an end game with an auction though and you have to consider the most you would be willing to spend.

What do you usually use as your upper limit?

I’m gonna say $75 including shipping, that’s my top number for one razor. I have on occasion spent $3-400.00 for a large lot of razors so I could acquire 1-2 razors I really like. Then I turn around and get rid of the others. Though, on average those razors cost $30-40.00, so I’m not really over my per razor number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought a Zowada some years back. No need to revisit that price bracket again. Recent Koraat was about $300. Another great razor but once more, at the edge of the stratosphere price-wise.
I’d say $175-$200 MAYBE for something like a primo Heljestrand.

So far $80 has been the most I've paid. I guess $100 would be my limit but i'm much more comfortable at $50-$60.

Straight razors are in a unique category for me. Once you have a decent quality blade I don't see what additional money is bringing to the table other than more interesting scales and most of my scales are plastic so how much do you want to pay for prettier plastic? For me I guess $100 is the limit. :)

I have paid $400 but I had been looking for this particular razor for awhile, most of the vintage razors I have that I purchased NOS cost me in $250-$350 range the most being the $400

No limit per-se, but if I buy it, you can bet I got a bargain. LOL I once bid over $500 on a particularly rare vintage in pristine condition and still lost it by a big margin, so I guess I have at least a sub-conscience limit. LOL

I'm on the hunt for Japanese hollow ground straight razors. Wanting to get user-grade ones for around 50-100$ will spend 150-200$ on right razor in right condition though

I just won this auction and paid $91 including shipping which is the most I've paid so far.

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
If it was called Dubl Duck it would cost more than twice that. :)
Yep, and I bet it is the same razor. I have had a few German razors that I am very sure were out of the same factory as my DD's, and I got them for a song because they were brands nobody had heard of.

Depends what the razor is. Typically when I think of vintage I think Sheffield's or Solingen razor. If your patient you can find decent ones for $50-$75 price range.

There's supposed to be a price limit?:blink: Gosh you live and learn. :em3400:

On a more serious note, budget boundaries vary a lot due to many reasons, most of them very personal. The most I've ever spent on a razor is about $300, but I doubt there's any razor I'd pay that much for today due to declining marginal benefits.

A more interesting question, in my opinion is: How much extra are you willing to pay for a straight razor to get it here and now instead of waiting for the right specimen for the right price? I think I'll start a new thread about it.

There's supposed to be a price limit?:blink: Gosh you live and learn. :em3400:

On a more serious note, budget boundaries vary a lot due to many reasons, most of them very personal. The most I've ever spent on a razor is about $300, but I doubt there's any razor I'd pay that much for today due to declining marginal benefits.

A more interesting question, in my opinion is: How much extra are you willing to pay for a straight razor to get it here and now instead of waiting for the right specimen for the right price? I think I'll start a new thread about it.
The interesting thing about that point is that some razors seem to only show up once. I still won't overpay but I'll pay more if I really want it and don't think I'll be seeing another one anytime soon.

I'm flexible in what I want though. I don't care so much about the brand names. If I like the looks of a particular Dubl Duck razor that seems to only be available for $200 and I found another brand with similar looks for $90 that I've never seen before, I'll snap that up.

The interesting thing about that point is that some razors seem to only show up once. I still won't overpay but I'll pay more if I really want it and don't think I'll be seeing another one anytime soon.

I'm flexible in what I want though. I don't care so much about the brand names. If I like the looks of a particular Dubl Duck razor that seems to only be available for $200 and I found another brand with similar looks for $90 that I've never seen before, I'll snap that up.
I'd say that do show up again, but it might take a year or two. There's one specific razor I've been waiting for, and still am, for more than three years.

Top Bottom