What's new

How much water do you drink each day and has it changed over the years ?

Growing up we seldom drank water in our home due to the bad quality and poor taste. We usually drank milk as kids or we had an orange flavored drink that was delivered by the milkman. As we got older the only time I remember drinking water was when we were outside playing and we drank out of a garden hose or playing a sport at school we drank water. When we were older we drank soda and that seemed to be the norm in most homes. People seemed to buy soda by the 12 pack in almost every home. Also I never remember drinking hardly anytime except when eating. Fast forward and we now seem to drink water exclusively and constantly. I had kidney stones and since I gave up soda years ago and started increasing my water intake to a liter or so a day that went away. I also used to get headaches and they went away with increased water consumption. Sometimes I think we were just under hydrated as kids and young adults. I can't imagine a young me ever considering buying water. Now I fill up a container in the morning and occasionally will refill it or buy a water if necessary. It's not uncommon to see people carrying water around all day. In the 60s, 70s and early 80s I think you would have got a lot of strange looks if you would have a water bottle with you.

I drink a minimum 64 ounces of water a day, doctors orders for my ckd stage 3. No soda or any other drink, 2 cups of coffee in the AM and that's it.

8/19/1942

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I recall as a child in the UK that there were public fresh water drinking fountains available in most parks and on many streets. I remember these being Victorian in appearance so they had been in situ for many years. Somehow these days those public water have disappeared, no doubt due to lack of funds or some health and safety rules. We would never take water with us when going out and would never have purchased water, indeed bottled water was not yet a commercial product. The only portable drink was by means of a Thermos vacuum flask, usually reserved for long car trips or picnics. Yet, at the same time we did not buy much fizzy pop, or soda as you Amercans call it, simply because we could not afford it. I had one third of a pint of free milk every day at school. We would have thought the idea of the average man in the street buying water and carrying it around, often in single use bottles, to be madness, for the individual and for the planet, and we would have been right.

Growing up we seldom drank water in our home due to the bad quality and poor taste. We usually drank milk as kids or we had an orange flavored drink that was delivered by the milkman. As we got older the only time I remember drinking water was when we were outside playing and we drank out of a garden hose or playing a sport at school we drank water. When we were older we drank soda and that seemed to be the norm in most homes. People seemed to buy soda by the 12 pack in almost every home. Also I never remember drinking hardly anytime except when eating. Fast forward and we now seem to drink water exclusively and constantly. I had kidney stones and since I gave up soda years ago and started increasing my water intake to a liter or so a day that went away. I also used to get headaches and they went away with increased water consumption. Sometimes I think we were just under hydrated as kids and young adults. I can't imagine a young me ever considering buying water. Now I fill up a container in the morning and occasionally will refill it or buy a water if necessary. It's not uncommon to see people carrying water around all day. In the 60s, 70s and early 80s I think you would have got a lot of strange looks if you would have a water bottle with you.

Sounds about right. I have definite memories of water from a tap or hose, cans or bottles of pop. The bottles were called 2p returns by us kids as you could get 2p back on them from the shop that sold them. That was a pack of gum back in the early 70's. These days as a T totaler and have been for 16 years now, its just water. I'm on a min of 6 pints a day. And that's not including tea and coffee. Due to chronic dehydration (medical problem) and kidney probs, the fluid does me more good than harm.

Growing up we drank water all the time. Sodas at holidays only. And then in the army right it of high school, they encouraged drinking water.

But then I found sodas and went hard. Coffee all morning, iced tea with lunch, soda until after dinner. Then it's beer time.

But lately, the past couple years, I've been drinking more and more water. Only a couple sodas a day. Now it's 3 cups of coffee (instead of 6), water until after dinner, then my root beer.

As a kid living in the UK this was spot on, public freshwater drinking fountains available in parks and also the playgrounds at school. Living on an Estate we had a block of garages to park the car in, but there was also water taps that were used to wash the cars that we drank from.

Nowadays I still drink water but have to filter it, as now they put fluoride in our water and I cannot stand the smell of it but I do drink around 10 mugs of tea a day plus around 3 pints of plain ole water.

I try to drink four glasses a day in order to be healthier. I never considered it when I was younger. Of course, during deployment I always had a bottle of water in my hands, but that was provided by the Army. Since I would have to pay for bottled water, I drink filtered water from the fridge.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Growing up I drank milk soda and sometimes water. in my twenties I had a graveyard shift and learned to drink coffee and iced tea. Later it was coffee and water and an occasional soda. Recently my Dr. wanted me to give up caffeine. So I have some decaf green tea and mostly water. Plain water, sparkling water and occasional barley tea.

I always preferred water over soda, and for some reason my body temperature is always a bit high all the time.

What many call feverish is my normal temperature, and I think for this reason I get thirsty more often than others.

In a day, I usually drink about 4 litres of water.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I drink at least one large pot of black tea a day, sometimes a second pot. I also try to drink 3-4 liters of water per day; in the summer, even more. The more water I drink, the better I feel. Even my mood is improved if I am hydrated. For several years I was drinking far too much diet Coke and Pepsi. I now limit myself to 12 cans a week, which is still probably too much.

3 - 4 ltrs. total, plain water, tea, coffee, Yerba Mate. Coffee and yerba not every day.
In summer time (carbonated)water with Karvam Cevitam

My wife goes thru 4-5 700ml bottles of Poland Spring water a day. If I finish a 500ml bottle of Poland Spring water in 2-3 days, I'm doing good. Outside of 2-3 cups of coffee to wake me up in the morning, I get most of my daily fluid intake from G&Ts.

I've drank about 64-80 oz. per day fairly regularly for awhile but have been trying to do the whole gallon thing lately and it's harder than it sounds. I just run out of time. If I don't stop early enough I get up several times to go to bathroom during sleep. And if anyone's read any of my posts on sleep, I have a weird job/schedule with the absolute worst sleep schedule (literally, they have the research that shows it kills people) so waking up a few times in the few hours I get is even worse!

That said, most people are dehydrated. There are some things that can be solved with just more hydration.

In my youth I drank mainly water because soda was a luxury and we only got to drink it on special occasions. Since we played multiple sports usually just drank water to stay hydrated. Does anyone remember when Gatorade was in glass quart bottles and there were only 2 flavors Lemon-Lime and Orange? We used to joke that if you were drinking Gatorade and it tasted good then you were pretty dehydrated, the formula they are using today is WAY different than what I had growing up. After high school I worked for my dad at a road construction company, drank gallons of water everyday standing on the back of an asphalt paver. Didn't really start drinking more soda than water until I started college, never liked coffee or tea much so I never drank either of the two.
When I was working 2nd or 3rd shift I would drink at least 3 soda's a shift. NEVER drank diet soda always figured if I was worried about calories I would just quit drinking soda.

Now I drink at least a gallon everyday due to working outside and all the exercise I get either on my own or officiating football and wrestling. Two years ago I was diagnosed Type 2 diabetic so my soda drinking days is all but over.

Funny side note a few of the guys I work with drink multiple energy drinks a day. One drinks two Bang energy drinks a day, each has 300mg of caffeine, and multiple Coke Zero's then wonders why he cannot lower his high blood pressure and his heart rate is always high.

Water and unsweeetened tea as a kid. Still pretty much the same, never developed the taste for sweet drinks. Coffe in the AM, a little to a lot depending, water and a beer or two the rest of the day. I carry a 64oz Yeti jug to work with ice water, frequently refill it while there. Keep it close at home too, so probably close to a gallon of ice water a day.

Two words that will save your life in a dry climate...”Clear Pee”!

My time in service taught me to drink water before I was thirsty.

I drink water and coffee (the coffee needs to be black like my soul).

I also enjoy the occasional/social adult beverage.

Top Bottom