What's new

How much stuff do you use in your shaving ritual? And in what order?

The usual routine, every other day:
  1. Soak badger brush in warm water
  2. Wash face in warm water with good prep soap
  3. Hot shower
  4. Pre-shave
  5. Lather soap in copper bowl
  6. Shave
    • usually 2 pass WTG/ATG + touchups
    • warm water face rinse between passes and when done
    • sometimes apply more pre-shave between passes
  7. Cold water face rinse
  8. Alum
  9. Wash and dry razor and bowls, put stuff away while alum dries
  10. Rinse alum off with cold water, pat face dry
  11. Homemade aftershave splash (typically everclear, witch hazel, menthol, various oils)
  12. Bliss

Straight razor
Leather strop
Water
Pears Transparent soap
Brush
Shaving soap
Damp sponge
Towel
Aftershave splash
Cloth strop
Toilet Paper
Pasted Renaissance
Polishing cloth
That's all. I'm a simple man.
haha man I am also a simple man and I literally use these things for shaving

My routine:

1. Soak brush
2. Shower. Wash my face either in the shower, or at the sink; usually with CeraVe facial soap or Musgo Lime
3. Work up my lather - either face lather or bowl lather (when using cream)
4. The passes - WTG, XTG and WTG
5. Warm, followed by cold water rinse
6. WH or alum. If I use alum I clean my razor, brush and bowl
7. WH
8. Balm
9. AS

Still figuring things out. Here's my current routine.

Strop my 1) straight razor on a 2) leather strop. (12 laps on cloth side followed by 50-60 on leather.)

Soak my 3) brush with hot water in my 4) shaving bowl.

Either shower or wash face depending on time and time of day.

5) Apply pre-shaving oil (already decided to drop this item once the oil is gone)

Make a lather with my 6) shave soap by loading the brush and transferring to the bowl. (Alternating between two proraso soaps. I like the soap in its own container rather than a puck that is separate or is set in the bowl.)

6) Shave with the straight razor.

7) Rinse face with cold water and apply aftershave balm (currently Bevel Post Shave Balm. Loving it.)

Clean-up items.

Dry Razor. Carefully.

Strop razor on cloth to finish drying.

So... 7, going on 6.

Shower, get out, make lather with brush in bowl or face depending, shave it off and rinse. Pat dry and apply splash.

cold water towel to the face a few times.
shave, 3 pass (cold water)
dry off, final touches here and there w/ straight
Balm
5 mins later A/S.

One day I will try A/S then balm and AS only. but I like the balm a good bit. I suspect the balm, post A/S will dull the scent. I don't wear cologne on my shave days. the A/S's are better. :lol:

My routine, YMMVY:

Fill the sink with 2"-3" hot water.
Put the shave cream tube, brush, & scuttle into the hot water.
Fill the scuttle with the hot water.
Wash my face using the hot water.
Shower.
Exfoliate using my himalayan salt scrub.
Take scuttle out of sink, add shave cream, squeeze out brush, build a scuttle full of lather.
Apply pre-shave cream.
Shave slowly & carefully. 1 time each, WTG, ATG, XTG, cleaning up after of I feel that I've missed anything.
Use styptic pencil if necessary.
Rinse, apply necessary after shave, depending on how careful I was above!

-Z

I went back to my post on the 3rd which was the day I joined to see if this place had gotten to me yet. Mostly no but in other ways...

I've added a boar brush and brought one back from our other place I wasn't using. I also bought a Trafalgar T2 synth that I'm forcing myself to use. I said I was rotating between 5 brushes a little over three weeks ago, now it's 8 (and I have two more boar brushes incoming).

I also said I mostly used my AS-D2 or Tech but I'm now using the others (listed in my profile) and added a Slim so 10 razors in rotation instead of 3-4.

The rest is pretty much the same but a BUNCH of new product so I got that going for me.

I used to hate shaving but for a number of years I had to so I decided to make it an experience I could look forward to. So lots of steps involved, lots of things used, much of it unnecessary and maybe even redundant. I can get through a shave in under 10 minutes, but I don't. My shaves last at least 45 minutes.

Top Bottom