What's new

How much soap do you have?

Started wet shaving last year. Sold 35 soaps last year and Im down to this list. I'm on sabbatical for 2021 so the list won't grow up.
Notepad_202102081832_34191~2.png

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Top row, 2nd column from left. I just don’t think it’s possible to make a better shaving soap than GD Angel.

Nice collection!

That stuff smells absolutely flippin amazing. I've found that chasing the Grooming Dept train to be an exercise in frustration more often than not, but that guy does make some really nice soap.

Part of the problem is that people find out you enjoy this hobby so they buy you more soap! And it's usually great.

Currently have around 30 pounds or around 13.6 kilos of shaving soap and will be making more over the next couple of days. Having fun experimenting with different fats, oils, and butters. Variety is the spice of life.

Back when we could have meets, sharing soap samples among participants was one of the things that we did. I enjoy trying a lot of different soaps, but I don't like owning a lot of soap.

Well hell if I couldn't figure that out on my own but I just had an epiphany when I read the bolded part. That describes me perfectly but I didn't know that until I just now read it from someone else.

To answer the OPs question, I have way too many soaps. The cabinet underneath my bathroom sink is full, plus one of the drawers of my dresser is full, and there are two boxes with about 20 soaps in them also.

I'd say I probably have about 70-90 soaps total and I really wish I didn't because I know it's not realistic that I can use them all. When I stop and think about it it seems so wasteful.

But then a new soap comes out and the scent sounds really good and I say, "Well, I'll order just one more". Then it arrives and the scent isn't as good as I'd expected. And that's how I wound up with roughly 80 soaps.

Lesson learned.

From here on out I'll use up what I have and then slowly purchase samples from there. At least, I hope! Lest SAD strike again!

Currently have around 30 pounds or around 13.6 kilos of shaving soap and will be making more over the next couple of days. Having fun experimenting with different fats, oils, and butters. Variety is the spice of life.

I found that I prefer "old school" soaps like Cella, TOBS, Fine, Vitos, luckily I just bought a lot of these and sold the superfats.
So all these new artisanal soaps don't tempt me and the only one I want to add to my stock is Martin de Candre.

I found that I prefer "old school" soaps like Cella, TOBS, Fine, Vitos, luckily I just bought a lot of these and sold the superfats.
So all these new artisanal soaps don't tempt me and the only one I want to add to my stock is Martin de Candre.
The old school/ vintage are definitely the best to us.
I have a bunch of Tabac, a couple pucks of MWF, three sticks of LaToja, and a puck of Old Spice. If Old Spice was to be made again with the original formula it would the the only soap I'd use.
The nice thing about knowing how to make my own soap is that everything that I have and use is unatainium!

Part of the problem is that people find out you enjoy this hobby so they buy you more soap! And it's usually great.
That was my problem. Over half of my soaps were gifts of some sort. I recently started splurging a bit on buying some more that I've really been wanting.

I have about 6 kilos of soaps! Some soaps are big block (Vitos, Furbo) others are duplicates. My stock should last 7 years. This year I will buy blades only.
It is way too close to the apocalypse and I ain't tellin'!

I have about 6 kilos of soaps! Some soaps are big block (Vitos, Furbo) others are duplicates. My stock should last 7 years. This year I will buy blades only.
6 kgs ? Even if one shave uses 1gram of soap, you have stock for 6000 shaves ! How can that be 7 years only ???
Enjoy !

Top Bottom