What's new

How much resistance do you feel when shaving ATG on neck?

For reference I use a high rigidity razor, the new SC, with a fairly steep angle (the new SC requires a fairly steep angle to touch the comb to the face). Despite this, shaving ATG below my jaw still gives me quite a bit of resistance and I have to be careful not to dig underneath the skin and cause irritation. I try for BBS most days (usually 2 pass WTG/ATG or even 1 pass ATG + touchups) and find that even after a day of not shaving, and even with sharper blades, the resistance is noticeable. I've varied my technique many times, but right now I stretch my skin by tilting my head to the side and bullfrogging out my neck a bit to prevent over-stretching. This seems to work well for getting a BBS, but I still get irritation from time to time depending on the blade.

Is this resistance normal or do any other ATG shavers have tips to avoid this? Thanks!

It's normal to feel more resistance ATG. The shorter the whisker, the less resistance, so the usual advice is good prep to soften the whiskers, then gradual reduction, rather than going ATG from the start. Many people have whorls or cowlicks in the neck area, which makes it difficult to follow "the grain". A diagonal pass may work well. Also, best not to bother with duller blades, for comfort use the sharpest blades that can still provide a smooth shave.

I use the NEW SC quite a lot, BTW. :thumbup:

It's normal to feel more resistance ATG. The shorter the whisker, the less resistance, so the usual advice is good prep to soften the whiskers, then gradual reduction, rather than going ATG from the start. Many people have whorls or cowlicks in the neck area, which makes it difficult to follow "the grain". A diagonal pass may work well. Also, best not to bother with duller blades, for comfort use the sharpest blades that can still provide a smooth shave.

I use the NEW SC quite a lot, BTW. :thumbup:
Yep, hair goes in every direction below the neck for me. I have to do a horizontal ATG pass followed by a few shorter diagonal ATG passes in specific areas to get a close shave.

Somewhat related, I'd love to hear what peoples' opinions on whether or not (specifically for daily shavers) reducing the length of the whiskers with a WTG/XTG pass reduces tugging/irritation on subsequent ATG passes. I shave daily, so I haven't noticed much benefit in leading with a WTG pass, other than doing it just for the love of shaving.

I don't do ATG on my neck because it's almost guaranteed I'll get ingrowns and irritation. Instead I do a WTG pass and a XTG pass. I think a big part of the problem is that the whiskers there lay almost flat against my skin.
The whiskers laying flat against the skin is a key realization I made a few months ago that ultimately changed the way I shave below the jaw. Experimenting with skin stretching in different directions (or bullfrogging, the opposite), to bring the hair away from the skin is key.

For reference I use a high rigidity razor, the new SC, with a fairly steep angle (the new SC requires a fairly steep angle to touch the comb to the face). Despite this, shaving ATG below my jaw still gives me quite a bit of resistance and I have to be careful not to dig underneath the skin and cause irritation. I try for BBS most days (usually 2 pass WTG/ATG or even 1 pass ATG + touchups) and find that even after a day of not shaving, and even with sharper blades, the resistance is noticeable. I've varied my technique many times, but right now I stretch my skin by tilting my head to the side and bullfrogging out my neck a bit to prevent over-stretching. This seems to work well for getting a BBS, but I still get irritation from time to time depending on the blade.

Is this resistance normal or do any other ATG shavers have tips to avoid this? Thanks!
Never experienced this.

Do a second XTG pass then the third ATG pass will be easy.

I do one WTG, N,S, reversing to a 45 degree angle on neck, NE, NW left and right respectively, then a second XTG which is exclusively left to right then right to left on all beard areas, i.e left side of face then right side. The third ATG is exclusively SN in strokes, including upper lip.

I tend to ride the guard or teeth too.

Guaranteed SSF for me. Maybe try something like that.

You could also try scrubbing before painting while re-lathering before all passes. I find it helps to expose the whiskers better for the blade.

I shave every 36-48 hrs mostly.

Last edited:
My neck hair grows almost parallel to the skin, so I experience considerable resistance ATG. Now I only shave WTG and XTG because I stopped chasing BBS. I get a DFS, which by definition is no whisker feel in the directions you have shaved. Good enough for me. I value no irritation over BBS.

My neck hair is all over the place as are my age wrinkles. I do down, east to west and west to east. Then ATG twice. In all of these I hold the razor by the bottom between my fingertips and just put it against my face, letting the blade do the work. I'm satisfied with the results.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Reading this inspired me to pull my new LC out of the shave cave and dust it off. I know it's not the same as a new SC, but it's the closest I got.

My typical routine is a 2 pass shave: WTG, ATG. I used a London Bridge with one shave already on it. I didn't feel any noteworthy resistance going ATG over the neck.

The only place I feel noteworthy resistance is over my chin, and sometimes over the mustache area going ATG.

What are you doing for pre-shave prep?

I am in the ’good prep’/’great lather’ school. Then all I need is to assure that I maintain an optimal razor angle. :a29::a29:

Any resistance means that I should consider changing blades. YMMV for sure.

Agree with BigJ: Any "pulling" or "tugging" is a sign of either insufficient lather or an insufficiently sharp blade. To protect myself against this, I normally use a pre-shave of some kind on my neck just to make sure I have sufficient hydration and slickness. The main reason I use pre-shave is my own impatience; it protects me against neck irritation.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
For me, it’s three things that help. Four if you don’t already use a wet lather

1. Tilt the blade so one corner is ahead of the other as though you were holding the blade to resemble a guillotine. It’s commonly referred to as The Gillette Slide.

2. Go lighter. ATG, the whiskers are a skinward-pointing lightning rod that can and will direct the edge into the skin.

3. Go a little more shallow while maintaining that feeling of the edge on the whiskers. The lightning rod effect mentioned before will make this still be close. Also, go lighter. If your brain tells you “tHiS iS aS lIgHt As I cAn Go,” go even lighter.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I use a straight razor and get great results with a single WTG pass. Yes, plenty of skin stretching and face pulling and all that.Great results for me is zero irritation first, close and comfortable second. BBS it is not, but that is never my intention. Oh, resistance, yes, sometimes, depending on the quality of my edge and hitting hair growing in another direction at times. Then I make the adjustment to shave WTG again. It’s a process.

I try for BBS most days
If you are a daily shaver. Targeting a DFS shave is safer and more relaxing. When well done it ends up leaning against a BBS. Going beyond a BBS eliminates a daily shave, not enough whiskers, the next day.
I've varied my technique many times, but right now I stretch my skin by tilting my head to the side and bullfrogging out my neck a bit to prevent over-stretching.
The more techniques and strokes you introduce into your shave raises the variables you must address and contend with. Trying a whole bunch of good suggestions and dragging them into a shave with problems adds complications.

A locked wrist with short quick strokes is the only stroke you need. It works everywhere including buffing. Shaving stretched or bunched up skin effectively is more difficult than shaving Flat relaxed skin. Stretch your skin and then relax the stretch to Flat.

We are all in a hurry to get to “The Shave”. In the early going the further you get away from the basic three pass shave and a basic stroke. The longer your journey. More baggage you are dragging along and have to deal with. As your shave technique improves you will be able to add or drop passes to suit your designed shave. If you cannot dominate your three pass shave going forward will be longer not shorter.

I didn’t get serious enough with pre-shave and post shave skin conditioning for two years. Big Mistake. For some sensitive skin shavers with irritation every bit as important as the shave. You cannot shave damaged skin without increasing damage.

Whisker resistance that’s the easy one. Properly Hydrated whiskers (a shower pre-shave, anything less will be less whisker hydration) Not an option if you’re working the problem. A pre-shave the greasier the better. I use shea butter. Lather always must be in the slick zone before you start stroking. You’re working a problem you need a fresh blade every time. There’ll be no hesitation or resistance with these basics in play. If you have skin irritation following the above. It can only be one thing. Too much downward pressure. Lightening up your stroke will then be the fix. If you choose to bring in all the dazzle dazzle with three or four different techniques and strokes you are adding variables that you have to adjust or eliminate, to solve your problem.

I came to B&B with very sensitive skin a bleeding neck with plenty of irritation. I used and practiced the basics. It takes time and commitment. I face and head shave weekly. After a year or so my Single ATG Pass I relaxed into a two Pass ATG. I like lathering. Always BBS +. Always great skin comfort. The basics are the shortest way to success.

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

None really.

...even after a day of not shaving, and even with sharper blades, the resistance is noticeable...
That is normal since longer hair will present more resistance, as in force-to-cut is higher when the hair is longer (due to angle of attack)

...I still get irritation from time to time depending on the blade...
In my opinion, irritation does not come from the blade, if the blade is not damaged or not at any end of the sharpness spectrum.

Top Bottom