What's new

How much money have you spent since you started DE/Straight shaving?

How much money have you spent since you started?

• $0 - $100

• $100 - $200

• $200 - $300

• $300 - $400

• $400 - $500

• $500 - $600

• $600 - $700

• $700 - $800

• $800 - $900

• $1000 and above

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have spent around $500, but have netted back about half that as a sell off stuff that does not make the permanent rotation.

In going on 7 years and over 500 BST purchases, along with eBay, Antique Stores, and Knife Shows, in excess of 10 grand and I'm not really proud of that number
Shaving this way is gonna save me a lot of money! I'm shamed about how much I've spent as well. I'm in the process of using and no more buying.

I guess I'm the guy who's DE shaving to save money. I'm in the under $100 category, and I have 2 vintage razors, over 150 blades, a vdh set, a super badger that was PIFed to me, 2 soap pucks and a tube of cream still left. You can save money if you want to and know how to sniff out good deals.

Probably less than most people here... 2 razors at £25 each. First brush was £10, two more at around £20 each. Maybe £20 or £30 on samples of cream, soap and AS. £20 on 2 colours of Proraso ASB which I don't even use. 4 bottles of AS at an average of maybe £15 each. 2 soaps in bowls at £10 each. 2 tubes of Proraso, about £15. 3 tubes and 1 bowl of TOBS & DRH cream, probably £30. Assorted blades...

Somewhere in the region of £250-300 and I've been at it for almost exactly a year. That's almost $500. Eep!

Good job I'm in the 2014 restraint :biggrin1:

I'm in the $500+ range. 14 razors around $200, $100 in blades, and $150 on brushes. The rest was on software.

I kept a spreadsheet early on, as I was interested in where I obtained my razors and how much I paid for them.

I'm in for $140 USD starting less than a month ago. I don't see spending anymore for quit some time. I picked up an EJ89, Proraso green soap, cheap badger brush to start. Have since added a styptic, alum, AS, balm, stand, cream, and created my own sampler blade assortment (100 blades).

I have spent about 200 for myself. But am in the process of making starter kits for every male relative I have. All vintage brushes + tgn knots + fat boys or slims + DIY bubbinga and red mahogany stands. Soo put that all together and I am around 500. But I will have my family crossed out for Xmas and bdays for a year.

I paid about $1,300 for a single razor. As for the total, it'd be tens of thousands of dollars.

Attachments

• $Buddel.jpg
    $Buddel.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Been into DE shaving for less than a week. Already spent $105 dollars. Muhle razor, 30 Gillette silver-blues, a Gillette single ring and some cream.

Starting to want a matching Muhle brush, mug and a Muhle stand. Looks like I won't save any money this year.

You should also take into account how long an individual has been shaving. For me, I have been a tradtional shaver for more than 50 years so $1000 is not that much.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
A few big ticket items and I am $1000 and above easy. No way I want to add it all up.
Some things just don't need to known or written.

I'm interested in how much money you guys have spent throughout the years.

Looking at all my orders... and after subtracting the ones that i bought as gifts, i have only spent $212.97 buying stuff online.

Adding all my razors (i only buy at antique stores, i haven't bought anything through flea-bay) brings a total of $95. Then i add the two vintage mugs i have ($25).

And i have a grand total of $332.97. So far it's been 1 year and a half, since i started.

Before shaving the traditional way, i was spending $360 on carts a year, not even including the canned goo.

I guess i am saving money!!!
I've managed to stick to my plan and have always remained true to one of my main purposes of DE shaving......to reduce cost. I manage to spend roughly about $31.20 a year on on average on my shaving.

I still propose that almost everything we bought before had little to no resale value. Who would buy mach3 cartridges from some guy on the internet for almost what they cost in the store? More than they cost in the store?

Wetshaving with quality tools means that we do save money. People sell used soaps, creams, razors, blade-packs, hones on bst and ebay all the time. Heck I've seen people sell the bowl their soap came in for decent cash. If you get into vintage razors you can clean and sharpen and restore stuff to increase it's value, and because it's antique it's not being made any more, but it is still constantly being broken and thrown away. So the price is constantly going up.

I have invested around 500 into my shaving habit... But I also recently researched my collection on ebay and bst and offers on parts of my collection. It would liquidate to around 1200 dollars. I used up some creams and soaps, the tax and shipping and stuff gets subtracted... basically I would end up with 1000 in my hand... meaning that I invested 500 into wetshaving, but I paid -500 (I'm 500 richer)... Is there a negative option?

The option for "the wife is seriously angry" is not available so at this point I'd say I have spent over $600. By next year it will be another $600. I mainly spend on razors the good thing is that my shaving gear will appreciate in time and I don't regret any purchase so far.

Top Bottom