What's new

How much money have you spent since you started DE/Straight shaving?

How much money have you spent since you started?

• $0 - $100

• $100 - $200

• $200 - $300

• $300 - $400

• $400 - $500

• $500 - $600

• $600 - $700

• $700 - $800

• $800 - $900

• $1000 and above

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've been at it for about 6 months. I'm in the 200-300 category, but about $100 of that is razors. I expect to save money in the long-term, especially because I'm in the 2014 sabbatical. I figure it costs me around $100/year to shave, assuming nothing breaks.

more importantly, I've never been able to shave daily until I found B&B and DE shaving. With that said, I would gladly spend more money on shaving supplies.

$150 since October. 2 safety razors, 2 shavettes, 2 tubes of shaving cream, 2 brushes and a box of 100 blades. considering I was buying cartridges and gel at $30 once a it will equal out soon enough. if I would have just bought the one razor, brush, cream and box of blades it would have been half that, and I would be on the saving end by now (but what's the fun in only having one razor).

Every time I start to catalog everything I have purchased, I run out of time/motivation. It would have been helpful had I started a spreadsheet early in the process, but I didn't. I do know that all the hardware I have purchased should be able to be recouped at BST prices so I don't really see this as a cost center yet. Software and blades are consumables and don't count excepting for the fact that there will be plenty of both left over if I happen to die at any time before the age of 115. :blink:

The answer: too much. We need to recognize that our shaving activities are a HOBBY. Hobbies are fine and psychologically healthy and nurturing. But serious hobbies do cost serious money. However, compared to what a psychiatrist would charge as an alternative, it's chump change. :001_rolle

Been de shaving about a month now and I've spent roughly 300 bucks. That should taper off now cause I have more soap than I will likely use in ten years.

Since October 2012 I've amassed around $800 worth of DE hardware and software, and I reckon I have enough software and blades to last quite a few years. And I don't need any more razors so I've got that covered. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

However, in the process of settling on the stuff I really, really like I have bought and sold lots of different stuff to try. I'll call that the "hobby" portion and that total ("purchase amount" minus "sold for amount") is nearly $700. A staggering amount if you were to suddenly take a $700 hit on grooming supplies, but not too bad compared to other hobbies. I mean, that was for more than a year of fun and discovery. And I'm settled now for stuff so that's probably it right? Well, I'm right aren't I? C'mon fellas, please... :lol:

Last edited:
I've never kept track but I'm probably close to $2,000.
That's my guess, too. My peak hit $600 in one month, after I'd been into wet-shaving about half a year.

At that time, I was buying anything and everything I could find. After a year or so, I started to figure out what I liked and didn't like, so the spending slowed down considerably. In 2013, I spent less than $60. There isn't much more that I want or need, except for refills on my rotation software.

I don't like this thread. I am not ready to take the first step by admitting I have a problem . I don't have a problem. I don't have a problem. I don't have a problem. Does anybody know what the deal of the day is?

Obviously someone's SWMBO found a credit card bill and started this thread.

But in the interest of honesty and transparency, here are my costs since finding B&B in June of 2012:

$CurrentCosts.JPG

Obviously someone's SWMBO found a credit card bill and started this thread.

Not at all. I don't know about everybody else though.

I got an email from WCS saying they shipped my order, while i was there I clicked on "view all orders".

I added up all my purchases, and i just thought i would ask.

I'd need to do an accurate tally, but definitely north of $1000. A rough guess is probably $1800-2000. I've spent very little on software and blades, so that's mostly DE's, SE's, Straights and associated honing hardware.

Top Bottom