What's new

How much is your shave property value?

Are we talking over a lifetime, over a period of time, or what we currently have in the collection today? I'm a finance nerd and love seeing money and numbers in the shaving world.

Today...

Soaps-100ish = $2,400 overestimate maybe but I also have splashes
Razors-10ish = $1,300 overestimate
Brushes-30ish = $6,000

So around a total of = $10,000

Most of this was spent in the year 2022 like 95% of it. Now, what's funny to me is I know for a fact people will see that number and say that is a lot of money or that they can't imagine spending that much or that their $20 brush and $10 razor work perfectly. I know this too well being in the finance community for some years that is just the nature of people.

But realize that one line item on a person's yearly expenses means very little in the context of finances. I might have spent $8K on shaving gear this year but my wife and I's annual 2022 spending were roughly $40,000 living in SoCal. Spend based on what you value and what brings you joy. 76% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck because they spend money on everything vs what brings them joy and what they value. I told you I love am and passionate about finances so sorry about the money rant lol.

I also maxed my 401K, and Roth IRA and invested a ton more in my taxable account in 2022. As a finance nerd, I look at the whole picture. All this and I am retiring this next year at 38.

2023 I don't have as many shaving expenses planned as I did for 2022. I have about 3-4 brushes, and 1 straight razor I would like to buy and that is about it unless a special soap gets released that catches my eye.

Shaving is still a cheaper hobby for me compared to putting money into our 80-series land cruiser. Which is the trail queen that I love taking out as often as possible.

Are we talking over a lifetime, over a period of time, or what we currently have in the collection today? I'm a finance nerd and love seeing money and numbers in the shaving world.

Today...

Soaps-100ish = $2,400 overestimate maybe but I also have splashes
Razors-10ish = $1,300 overestimate
Brushes-30ish = $6,000

So around a total of = $10,000

Most of this was spent in the year 2022 like 95% of it. Now, what's funny to me is I know for a fact people will see that number and say that is a lot of money or that they can't imagine spending that much or that their $20 brush and $10 razor work perfectly. I know this too well being in the finance community for some years that is just the nature of people.

But realize that one line item on a person's yearly expenses means very little in the context of finances. I might have spent $8K on shaving gear this year but my wife and I's annual 2022 spending were roughly $40,000 living in SoCal. Spend based on what you value and what brings you joy. 76% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck because they spend money on everything vs what brings them joy and what they value. I told you I love am and passionate about finances so sorry about the money rant lol.

I also maxed my 401K, and Roth IRA and invested a ton more in my taxable account in 2022. As a finance nerd, I look at the whole picture. All this and I am retiring this next year at 38.

2023 I don't have as many shaving expenses planned as I did for 2022. I have about 3-4 brushes, and 1 straight razor I would like to buy and that is about it unless a special soap gets released that catches my eye.

Shaving is still a cheaper hobby for me compared to putting money into our 80-series land cruiser. Which is the trail queen that I love taking out as often as possible.

Retiring at 38? You'll have plenty of time for excessive shaving routines then!

Retiring at 38? You'll have plenty of time for excessive shaving routines then!
Yeah, I can't wait! I also shave my dome too so twice the fun. I'm lucky I found the finance community when I did my focus was becoming financially independent so this way I can spend my time how I want to. My wife retired at age 29, 11 years ago so she is waiting on me.

Yeah, I can't wait! I also shave my dome too so twice the fun. I'm lucky I found the finance community when I did my focus was becoming financially independent so this way I can spend my time how I want to. My wife retired at age 29, 11 years ago so she is waiting on me.

Crypto? Drugs? Trust fund baby? Just curious. Not many people could afford to retire at these ages, unless you're comfortable with having basically nothing and living off the land or on the poverty line.

Id say

Soaps/Creams - 60 or so - $1500
Razors - 20 or so - $1400
Brushes - 20 or so - $1500
AS/Balms - 20 or so - $500
Misc - $500

So Im guessing $5400. The analogy used above saying I save money on wet shaving is like saying a I save money on meat by hunting is quite accurate.

Then again, chores that become hobbies is one of the secrets to life ...

Razors - probably $650ish
Soaps - 24 @ about $15 average + samples, say $380
Brushes - 10 @ $25 average = $250
Blades - $50
Misc - $80

Total = $1410

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Current gear at current value, all in USD:

Razors = $4450
Honing gear = $430
Cases = $280
Brushes = $260
Soaps = $160
Misc. = $280

TOTAL = $5860

I've been buying and selling razors for a few years and I now have accumulated about 10 razors that make up a diverse collection of blade formats, materials and designs which work really well for me. A very rough estimate of current investment is about $4500. I continue to enjoy the beauty and effectiveness of these great tools.

Valued at time of acquisition, including shipping and taxes, and prorating consumables (blades, soap, aftershave) to what is left,
Razors: $119.27
Brushes: $ 90.95
Soap: $ 52.04
Aftershave: $ 55.65
Blades: $ 16.90
Misc.: $128.23

Total: $463.04

Top Bottom