What's new

How much have you spent on your shaving gear? Up until now?

How much you have spent on your shaving gear up untill now?

• 0 to $50?(Dont worry!! It will go up.)

• $51 to $100?(Yes it is begining.)

• $101 to $150?(Oh yeah!!!!)

• $151 to $200?(It's just one time!!!!)

• $201 and more?(DONT TELL ANY ONE.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
After cutting back some, I would think over 200.00 in creams and still have several razors valued at 100.00 each. That straight thing was really the killer, sometimes I think about giving it another try. The only thing I didn't have an AD for was brushes.:biggrin:

I simply can not vote, it would be ludicrous!:eek: What I have spent on shaving stuff this year is a square of the highest number that is on the poll!:redface:

Take Care,
Richard

Originally I was saving money using a DE and shaving soap. Then I came here and lost control after discovering the range of products out there.

15.80 1961 Fatboy (10.00 on ebay) Relaxmaker sent 5 derby blades and a tech razor
1.76 Persona blades
8.00 Dragons blood shaving soap.
5.76 Nineva Senstitive shave balm
4.76 Van Der Hagen boar brush
My wife traded in a Bed Bath an Beyond for something she liked, had 5.00 left over so I picked up a tube of C.O. Bigelow/Proraso green.

So that is about than 36.00. My wife used to have an Avon business, and she picked up a Black Suede aftershave dealer cheap. The guy quit paying so she had it in the basement for like two years.

I think I can get through a year on the cheap for around 60.00. The next year I will start to save money though, as I will just have...oh who am I kidding!!! None of you are buying any of this anyway. More razors, More blades, More soap, a new brush, it never ends, but who wants it too?

erm..
91 BLK4 brush (11 was shipping)
34 murker HD
12 +/- feather blades
33 +/- westcoast sample blades, 3 blade banks, styptic pencil (shipping incl.)
13 proraso preshave
14 TOBS almond
17 shipping for different orders (not already named)
21 (new) samples for shaving soaps, cologn test, dry skin cream (shipping included)

so..
236 sofar. :/
And thats not including the AS I already own, or cologns....
Er wait add 6 to that, I bought some old spice :p
242!!! and growing.

As for the better shave, I like this alot better. My brush is so nice! and my face gets much smoother then any cartridge ever got me. I hate them!
My electric was as close, but the stubble returned in just a couple hours, not sure how that works...
Now I just gotta work on technique, and buy tons of new stuff :D

Big ticket items have been straights and brushes. Easily dropped $500 between SRAD and BAD. Probably a bit more than $100 on DEs - had to have a birth year FatBoy, a Futur and the rest of the basic Gillette adjustables. Everything else are "expendables" - blades, creams, etc. - so I don't worry too much about cost and stopped buying when I ran out of shelf space. Now I'm in replenishment mode for "expendables".

I've always used a brush and cream/soaps - even when using a Mach 3 when I first started "wet" shaving. Never used canned goo because it is too messy compared to whipping up a lather with a brush. I switched to straights and DEs because the sometimes the "old ways" are perceived to be better. I use fountain pens instead of ball points as well. Not sure that I get a noticeably better shave the "old way". It can be a closer shave, but I get more weepers and irritation than with a cart. That said, I have more "fun" with DEs and straights.

We need another poll titled "who started wet shaving to save money?" :lol:
Well, I for one did not start wet-shaving to save money ... I was interested in a better grooming experience and a return to vintage/retro ways of doing things.

I never thought I'd get in as deep as I have, though ... when people see my shave-den, they usually say something like "why do you need 6 different razors and so many brushes and all those different soaps and creams and aftershaves? Its just shaving, the simple act of removing hair from your face. Why all this stuff?"

Of course, I don't have to explain myself here on B&B ... all of you guys "get it," right? You might even be in deeper than I am, and have your own tales of shock and disbelief when confronted by someone "outside the loop."

And what my people don't even know, is that 90% of my collection is out at a storage locker ... what they see in my bathroom is just the tip of the iceberg.

yeah its safe to say i breached the 200 mark a while ago,silver tip badger brush from (the art of shaving)SF.union square thats all i got to say.

TREAT YOURSELF DON'T CHEAT YOURSELF

I have spent much more on many other things and received less enjoyment. Enjoyable shaving is the greatest discovery I have made in a long time. More the repays the cost and effort. Maybe $250-300. Well, maybe a little more.

Set up: Simpson Duke 3, Gillette Slim Adjustable, Merkur Blades, shaving bowl from Rachel Smith pottery, several soaps:Tabac, various ones from Mama Bear (my current favorite), Omega; AS lotion.

It would be a 5 figure number.

15 custom straights.
180 straights
200 safety razors
12 hones
6 strops
Drawers full of soap and cream
Many bottles of aftershave / cologne

etc etc

Last edited:
I have spent 148 USD since April this year and still believe it will save me money, as I am set for about a year from now with the exception of aftershaves, which I will have to stock up on as I go along.

Besides that the feel of my shaves has dramatically improved.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If I didn't reach 10k yet, I'm not far off...

I just dropped a little over a hundred USD; unfortunately deployment is boring and internet mail order is extremely easy. :(

I don't think I'm quite done yet, either. Those Merkur Futur razors look awfully nice...

Top Bottom