What's new

How much for soap?

What's the most $ you are willing to pay for soap?

• As cheap as possible

• Under $10

• Under $20

• Under $30

• Sky is the limit

Results are only viewable after voting.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So I finally shaved with the DG's Cuir Et Epices. It was a very good soap. The scent is a bit off-putting from the sample. If I sat and sniffed it too long, I would probably get sick. The minute you add water, the spices come out and it really is a great scent. Still not my favorite, but quite good. The scent really is simple... Leather and spices, they named it well... Lol.

The lather built well enough. Not as easy as some but no problems to report. The lather sustained well, both in the bowl and on the face. My 10 minutes cool down after initial lathering yeilder very little loss.

It provided some great slickness and may be the best I have used. It was really protecting.

The post shave feel was good. It wasn't drying, but really wasn't too moisturizing either. I've gotten better, especially from the likes of Dr Jons (and probably others, too).

I'd definitely recommend it, especially if you like leather scents. It's a good, top tier soap IMO.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but haven't you used lots of soaps? If so, high praise indeed! And who doesn't like leather and spices? Thanks for the review.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but haven't you used lots of soaps? If so, high praise indeed! And who doesn't like leather and spices? Thanks for the review.
Lol, I don't know about a lot... Probably in the realm of 30-ish. Keep in mind, there are a lot of duplicates from brands. I have some large gaps in my repertoire ... Never tried: BM, PdP, wholly kaw, grooming Dept, and so on. So please take the review in the context it deserves. [emoji846]

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well, counting Ivory, you have probably used about 25 more soaps than me, so your opinion is at least 4 times better than mine.

Math is hard!

Thank you @mrdoug, it's interesting to read your take on it. I prefer milder scented soaps so was curious about yours, if it is stronger, or not. It sounds, from your report, it's going to fall into the stronger scent category.

Thank you @mrdoug, it's interesting to read your take on it. I prefer milder scented soaps so was curious about yours, if it is stronger, or not. It sounds, from your report, it's going to fall into the stronger scent category.
Not at all, the scent is mild to mid level, in my estimation.

The part about getting sick is due to the fact that there is basically no spice and nothing but leather off the sample. Until water is added, it's a bit tough for me to smell it straight. I couldn't do a straight leather smelling soap.

The scent will linger post shave, faintly, but nothing like I imagine from Barrister and Mann (reason I never tried them... Had to toss the samples I got, they just stunk too strongly).

IMO, it is not a significant leap. That said, all are completely different soaps so you may like one over another. For me, SV 4.3 is tops, but the scent of Blu, intoxicating. MdC is a solid all around performer.

Let us know your thoughts after you compare them.

Samples of the Nuavia Blu and Verde arrived last week and I've been messing about with them. I don't see a whole lot of difference in performance between them and SV 4.3 or B&M reserve. I'm finding myself meh on the scents and the performance difference isn't enough of a factor for me to consider buying. Even if I had them free, I probably wouldn't use them very often if at all. They are great performers, but I already have some great performers that I like better. Trying them made me appreciate the SV Felce Aromatica even more.

Sample of MdC should be here in a week or two and I'll see how that plays out.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Samples of the Nuavia Blu and Verde arrived last week and I've been messing about with them. I don't see a whole lot of difference in performance between them and SV 4.3 or B&M reserve. I'm finding myself meh on the scents and the performance difference isn't enough of a factor for me to consider buying. Even if I had them free, I probably wouldn't use them very often if at all. They are great performers, but I already have some great performers that I like better. Trying them made me appreciate the SV Felce Aromatica even more.

Sample of MdC should be here in a week or two and I'll see how that plays out.

Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to your thoughts on MdC...

I'd say about $15 and up is where I have to start "justifying" the purchase. But I have no hard cutoff in mind--I've purchased 2 pucks of SV and will probably end up buying MdC at some point, along with trying a bunch of other stuff I haven't gotten to.

The hardest part to justify is buying more when I already have several untouched pucks and more that have barely been scratched! :001_rolle

My limit is usually $15. I can find so many soaps under the $15 range that works for me so I do not bother going higher. However, when there are good deals on BST for more expensive soaps at a cheaper rate, I might give it a try. But so far, Stirling soaps have been my go-to so I'm satisfied with their variety.

When I started buying Colgate and Williams the price must have been under a dollar. That was nearly 50 years ago! Gee, what an old geezer.

It wasn't easy to transition to soaps that now sell for $10 to $20. More than that strikes me as excessive. So, yeah, guess $20 is my limit.
I still get Williams for $0.99 a puck at the grocery store! And Cremo for $4.99 a tube. Together (a dab of Cremo on the puck) they are awesome.
It's cheap enough not to spend more dollars on soap that may be marginally better to me.
With that said, it all goes down the drain any way so I just can't bring myself to spend $20 or $30 on shave soap.
I do try different soaps now and then max $12-$15 but always have Williams/Cremo as my go to.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

As for value only you can determine how much a soap is worth to you. The most expensive soaps are the ones that dont get used IMO.

As for pice point i dont really have one, have tried and used soaps that many would say are expensive luxury products, some of which are worth the extra cost and some that are not. Usually anything under $4/oz is a good guideline and includes MOST soaps on the market. A few of the more expensive ones are mostly due to quanity/ packaging (SV, Boellis, MDC,ABC, ETC.).

Under $20 is my limit. I did splurge on a MdC a while ago.

There are a lot of good soaps under $15 which I think represents a fair value, Stirling and CRSW are my choices there.

Under $10 represents a great value, Schapenmelk at $8.95 is a solid pick at this level.

Still really not going above $20-$25 lately.....only one I'd go higher on is the actual Creed Green Irish Tweed just to see if there's a huge difference between the actual thing and the clones.

I voted for $20 but I prefer to spend as little as possible, preferably no more than $15. I think the most expensive soap I bought was a stick of Irisch Moos right before it was discontinued. After that, Cade became my indulgence as well as my daily soap when I'm not using C.O. Bigelow cream (the only cream I really like). I'll buy Palmolive sticks occasionally if I'm ordering blades and need to round out the purchase, but I try to buy my supplies locally whenever possible. That usually means VdH or Williams in the soap category. They're cheap and effective, which is good enough for me.

Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to your thoughts on MdC...

The MdC samples arrived the other day. Rose, Vetiver and Fougere. On first sniff impressions, I'm really liking the rose because I can smell the geranium in it. For the folks that have been around for a while, it reminds me of QED Wild Rose and QED Rose Geranium mixed. I've had a couple shaves with the fougere so far. Liking that scent a lot, again, getting geranium notes in that one. Relatively light and not too earthy. Quick to load, easy to lather, for a nice close shave. Post shave not as moisturizing as SV or Nuavia. Tomorrow I'll shave with the SV with same brush and razor (Dovo special 5/8 and the little Omega boar with the 17mm knot and slightly longer handle...the bigger bambino I think) since I'm more or less using that as my expensive soap baseline.

Sooooo... at ~$90 CDN, is it ~$40 CDN better than SV 4.3? I don't think so. But I'll probably get some sometime in the future as a luxury purchase.

most i spent on cream is 80 $ but i got my eye on something more than that. and aftershave, over a 100

cant go wrong with MDC. i got a small jar of it for 40 and its greast seems like it will last a year. also for me, it out performed wholy kaw and dr harris soap.

Top Bottom