What's new

How Much for a Kampfe?

I saw a Kampfe razor in a antique store this weekend. It had no case and only one handle section. Otherwise, it looked to be in good shape. Any ideas how much this is worth? I did not see a single one posted in our B/S/T.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Mein?

(Okay, that was bad even by my standards.)

They predate the earliest gillettes, ~1880's

Congrats on 14,000 posts!

I'm not sure which razor you're referring too, there were later Kampfe Bros. that also carried the Star name.

Can you find one on eBay (try a completed items search under the advanced search option) that looks like it?

I'm not sure which razor you're referring too, there were later Kampfe Bros. that also carried the Star name.

Can you find one on eBay (try a completed items search under the advanced search option) that looks like it?

It looked a like this one. No blade, tin, or lower handle though.

Looks nice (I just double checked my collection to see how close I could come, turns out I need one of those :laugh:). Not sure if those will take an SE blade or if they'll need the wedge blade (some take both). $45 seems to me to be about retail, or at or a little more than it might bring on eBay (I've seen some there). But of course on any given day, it might go higher.

Actually, this one looks to be the same, and just sold for $45 including the case and wedge. But I passed on it, other things taking priority right now. If it had been lots cheaper, I'd have been in.

Then again, this one (full kit, nice wood handle and the can) went sky high....

Last edited:
Looks nice (I just double checked my collection to see how close I could come, turns out I need one of those :laugh:). Not sure if those will take an SE blade or if they'll need the wedge blade (some take both). $45 seems to me to be about retail, or at or a little more than it might bring on eBay (I've seen some there). But of course on any given day, it might go higher.

Actually, this one looks to be the same, and just sold for $45 including the case and wedge. But I passed on it, other things taking priority right now. If it had been lots cheaper, I'd have been in.

Then again, this one (full kit, nice wood handle and the can) went sky high....

I saw the one that is the closest to the one I found is the one that never sold. :blush:

I saw the one that is the closest to the one I found is the one that never sold. :blush:

Actually, I fixed the link to show another like you showed with the can. These two are the only two on that page like that. The others that appear similar have a hinge in the rear (I have two of those from around 1902). The fully enclosed type like you show are older. The big dollar one I am pretty sure is the oldest, near the earliest model. We really need Dave (D.Irving) here, but he's out of town... actually, he's near me and we are supposed to get together. I need to call him and try to set that up, if I can get ahold of him I'll try to see if he can weigh in here.

Actually, I fixed the link to show another like you showed with the can. These two are the only two on that page like that. The others that appear similar have a hinge in the rear (I have two of those from around 1902). The fully enclosed type like you show are older. The big dollar one I am pretty sure is the oldest, near the earliest model. We really need Dave (D.Irving) here, but he's out of town... actually, he's near me and we are supposed to get together. I need to call him and try to set that up, if I can get ahold of him I'll try to see if he can weigh in here.

Cool! I figured he would be the one to save the day. :thumbup1:

Man that looked so familiar. Then I remembered. When I was a little kid my grandpa had one of those with the wood handle sitting on a sidebar near the kitchen. I always thought it was some kind of potato masher or something. What an idiot.

Man that looked so familiar. Then I remembered. When I was a little kid my grandpa had one of those with the wood handle sitting on a sidebar near the kitchen. I always thought it was some kind of potato masher or something. What an idiot.

That is funny.

I have an opportunity to go back and get it, if it is worth it. I wonder if it is, since no one seems to be selling them.

I am guessing you meant this one? If so, I'm glad I messed up that link (which I fixed in edit). That one is quite different that what you originally showed in the can, it is newer. I have two like it (pics below). Mine are circa 1902, and are not worth as much (I don't think) as those without the hinge (like you show with the can). Those I think are probably 1800's, quite possibly wedge blade only, and quite possibly worth more. Certainly, knowing which razor it is will have an effect on the value (as will condition).

My 1902 (or therabouts) Stars:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I paid $40 (Best Offer/BIN, I think they listed it around $50? Maybe $60 or $65?) plus $7 shipping for the nice shiny one in the case with the wedge blade and stropping attachment.

The similar one in the center came from Hugary, and I seem to recall it going around $30, plus shipping (it's off my "won" list and I didn't keep notes).

The nice Star "Bar" as I call it is from 1910, came in a nice Gillette New Standard case, and I paid $15.50 plus $5.95 shipping (a steal AFAIC). All these on eBay.

If the one you've spotted is a rear hinge like these first two, without box/can/handle extension etc., I don't think it's likley to be worth $45 (at least to me). Of course the real question is, is it worth $45 to you?

If OTOH, it is a solid, unhinged older type, I think it very well may be worth that (I've seen this type with cans bring anywhere from under $100 to over $300 recently on eBay- but haven't noticed many without the can, so I can't compare to that).

Incidentaly, the one I linked above (that didn't sell) was IMHO a bargain. I'd have been all over it if I didn't already have the two examples you see above. I simply have too many duplicates to go after even great deals in some cases (now show me a Double Ring for a hundred bucks and watch how long I hesitate :w00t:).

Cool! I figured he would be the one to save the day. :thumbup1:
I've been unable to reach him, I just found out why this morning. I'd miscopied the phone number he gave me, it is now corrected and I've left a voice mail at the correct number... :blushing:
That is funny.

I have an opportunity to go back and get it, if it is worth it. I wonder if it is, since no one seems to be selling them.
See above. Much depends I think on which model it actually is. Ultimately, it depends only on what it is worth to you though. But I understand wanting to know the "going rate".

I am guessing you meant this one? If so, I'm glad I messed up that link (which I fixed in edit). That one is quite different that what you originally showed in the can, it is newer. I have two like it (pics below). Mine are circa 1902, and are not worth as much (I don't think) as those without the hinge (like you show with the can). Those I think are probably 1800's, quite possibly wedge blade only, and quite possibly worth more. Certainly, knowing which razor it is will have an effect on the value (as will condition).

My 1902 (or therabouts) Stars:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I paid $40 (Best Offer/BIN, I think they listed it around $50? Maybe $60 or $65?) plus $7 shipping for the nice shiny one in the case with the wedge blade and stropping attachment.

The similar one in the center came from Hugary, and I seem to recall it going around $30, plus shipping (it's off my "won" list and I didn't keep notes).

The nice Star "Bar" as I call it is from 1910, came in a nice Gillette New Standard case, and I paid $15.50 plus $5.95 shipping (a steal AFAIC). All these on eBay.

If the one you've spotted is a rear hinge like these first two, without box/can/handle extension etc., I don't think it's likley to be worth $45 (at least to me). Of course the real question is, is it worth $45 to you?

If OTOH, it is a solid, unhinged older type, I think it very well may be worth that (I've seen this type with cans bring anywhere from under $100 to over $300 recently on eBay- but haven't noticed many without the can, so I can't compare to that).

Incidentaly, the one I linked above (that didn't sell) was IMHO a bargain. I'd have been all over it if I didn't already have the two examples you see above. I simply have too many duplicates to go after even great deals in some cases (now show me a Double Ring for a hundred bucks and watch how long I hesitate :w00t:).

I've been unable to reach him, I just found out why this morning. I'd miscopied the phone number he gave me, it is now corrected and I've left a voice mail at the correct number... :blushing:

See above. Much depends I think on which model it actually is. Ultimately, it depends only on what it is worth to you though. But I understand wanting to know the "going rate".

Hey, I appreciate it! I don't remember a hinge, but I could be wrong. I do remember some kind of lever or something on the back. Hopefully, I can go back and look at it Monday. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks again.

Top Bottom