What's new

How much does it take for a brush to fully dry?

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I know you're supposed to let the brush FULLY dry before using it again.
So how much does it take for a brush (24mm knot to 28mm knot) to fully dry when left in a ventilated area?
Of course I understand it also has to do with climate, etc'. But more or less...
For example, I currently mainly use two brushes that I like and alternate between them.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My dense knots like the Semogue LE or the Simpson Chubby/Duke can take 24 to 48 hours to dry here. They may feel dry at the tips but it is closest to the knot which takes the longest to dry. It sounds to me like you need another brush to add into your rotation to allow the others to fully dry. I suggest a Simpson......

This message was bought to you courtesy of the Simpsons Benevolent Enablers Association

Depends on size, and very much on density as well as th environment it is drying in. I have brushes that dry from the morning shave by the evening, and some that I have to leave out over night - the latter ones are the very dense and large brushes.
Doesn’t it also depend on what the brush is made from? My understanding is that a 24mm synthetic will dry faster than a 24mm Badger or boar?

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
My dense knots like the Semogue LE or the Simpson Chubby/Duke can take 24 to 48 hours to dry here. They may feel dry at the tips but it is closest to the knot which takes the longest to dry. It sounds to me like you need another brush to add into your rotation to allow the others to fully dry. I suggest a Simpson......
This message was bought to you courtesy of the Simpsons Benevolent Enablers Association

I think you're right. Will add another brush.

I think you're right. Will add another brush.
Might be cheaper to use one of these...
1610371840512.png

Drying time depends mainly on how much water is retained in the brush, relative humidity, air temperature and wind speed!

I wonder if hanging it upside down plays a role? I have a 21mm Badger that came with the stand that hangs it upside down, and its absolutely dry by the next day. I've seen these historic threads on needing >> 24 hrs and it doesn't really feel plausible to me. (That said I think I am less dense and skinny : the brush not me)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Lots of variables here. In my house I can dry a medium sized badger easily in a day if I shake out most of the standing water. Brush stands make no difference.

I like to give brushes 2 days to dry, but then I am less emphatic about removing all the moisture I can.

But there was a time when most men only owned one brush (can you imagine?) and used it every day for many years.

30 seconds if it's synthetic. Maybe a minute or two for natural hair
I have a blow dryer mounted next to my sink. Even my VDH stopped shedding once I started doing this.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
It doesn't matter
if you have 1 brush it doesn't matter because you only have 1 brush
if you have more then 1 and rotate it will be dry by time you get back to it so it doesn't matter :em2300:

I live in a medium humidity (50 to 60 %) with average Winter temperature going for 10 to 18 ° C in moderate temperature and Summer going for 43 to 48 °C.

Rainy season or Monsoon comes and goes, but we don't receive continuous rainfall.

Reason for the weather forecast is to understand what kind of temperate climate we have here.

In this area, I can get my Boar hair brush Omega 10098 (27 mm) and 10005 (24 mm) dry by 12-15 hours in Winter season, without any special care.

I have no experience with the Badgers.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Where is this rule from?
I assumed this was accepted advice from brush manufacturers in order to extend brush life, and entirely coincidentally of course, to sell more brushes. I agree though that in years gone by brushes were often simply left wet in the mug with the left over soap. I have read threads where members have done this for several months 'just like grandpa used to' and they seem to have suffered no ill effects. As long as mould or fungus does not develop in the knot then I suspect the brush would last for years.

Top Bottom