What's new

How much does it take for a brush to fully dry?

I guess I just don't buy into the theory that a brush must thoroughly dry before you use it again. Have never seen a logical reason fo this.

The ‘logical reason’ around here is that if I need to let my brushes ‘dry thoroughly!’

Otherwise, I would not ‘need’ so many brushes!! :a29: :a29: :a29:

If you have more than one brush, are single, and don't shave everyday - then there shouldn't be an issue. I allow it to dry for however long it takes, inverted on a chrome SR stand for 48-72 hours. After that I put it away if I'm not going to be using it, as I don't like things left out, gathering dust.

In order to find the most efficient brush to cost-effectively use (because we are all in this wet-shaving experiment solely to save money), one also has to conduct feasibility studies on various badger knots to determine effective drying times compared to saturation levels. Unfortunately, the only way I've found to bring the all-important integrity of data into the experiment is to acquire many badger examples. And what's worse, the only way I know how to acquire badger samples is by acquiring the badger already affixed to a handle.

Alas, my research continues!

Last edited:
Last year when I bought my Kent BLK8, I messaged Kent to inquire about recommendations on brush drying. The rep stated eventually it would rot if not allowed to fully dry periodically. You guys ever heard of that?

Since then, I’ve just been using it on the weekends (2 days) and letting it dry during the week. It’s not fully dry after 24 hours. This brush drying thing is a great rational to expand my badger lineup!

:badger:

S

Scrubby

I use a conservative estimate of an average drying time of 3 weeks. One wouldn’t want to take the risk of mold developing in their beloved badgers. Therefore I need 21 nice brushes. When I get to that point I will probably realise that the Netherlands are notorious for their humid climate, and add some more to increase the rotation time just to be on the safe side.

Just kidding. Alternate between 2-3 brushes and you are good to go, they will fully dry (even my chubby 2’s) unless you are living in a swamp or behind a waterfall.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1616178143713.png

I use a conservative estimate of an average drying time of 3 weeks. One wouldn’t want to take the risk of mold developing in their beloved badgers. Therefore I need 21 nice brushes. When I get to that point I will probably realise that the Netherlands are notorious for their humid climate, and add some more to increase the rotation time just to be on the safe side.

Just kidding. Alternate between 2-3 brushes and you are good to go, they will fully dry (even my chubby 2’s) unless you are living in a swamp or behind a waterfall.
Thanks! Sounds like I need another brush! Terrible problem to have...

I really try to rotate at least three brushes to allow them to dry thoroughly. I live in a very humid climate and area. So the brushes take several days to dry.

the badger brushes start to smell like stale wet rags if I don’t let them dry.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I guess I just don't buy into the theory that a brush must thoroughly dry before you use it again. Have never seen a logical reason fo this.

I reknotted a brush once and found green gunk below the handle's visibility line. Mold? 🤔 I've been careful to dry brushes ever since.

full

AA

I have a smaller boar, a dense boar, and a dense badger. The smaller, less dense boar can dry overnight. The other two definitely need a day between uses.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Sounds like the beginning of a joke- “ A smaller boar, a dense boar, and a dense badger walk into a bar ...”

In my passively ventilated bathroom, my no-name Chinese, aluminum grip, synthetic 18mm 5cm is ready to go in a day at most.

Top Bottom