What's new

How much does it take for a brush to fully dry?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Please upload a photo of this brush if possible, I'd love to see it!
image.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Since I had to pull it out to photograph it I gave it a try. It was just too floppy to do much with hard soap, bringing back memories of when I had shifted to cream for awhile. After the first pass I rinsed it and grabbed a newer brush.

1610548038443.png

⬅This brush, right?​

Was it always floppy like it is now?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
When it was young it had decent backbone, about like the Kent BK4 I use now when I want badger.

Just curious, what other badgers have you used?

I've not used a Kent, but folks say they don't have much density, backbone, or scrub, from what I've read and recall.

Obviously, if it works for you, that's all that matters.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Just curious, what other badgers have you used?

I've not used a Kent, but folks say they don't have much density, backbone, or scrub, from what I've read and recall.

Obviously, if it works for you, that's all that matters.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I have used several, but I cannot recall the brands of any. I like the BK4 paired with a soap that lathers easily like MdC. I agree it does not have much backbone or scrub, but it has decent density. For any soaps that take more work, I prefer my cheap synthetic Simpson T2.

If I recall, someone on the forum performed an objective test some time ago, actually more related to bristles up or down, and I believe the average time for natural bristles to completely dry was on the order of 72h, either way. Ish.

I was curious and checked to see how long some of my brushes took to be dry. I used the scientific method of carefully cramming my finger down the centre of the knot to check for residual moisture. I gently squeezed and brushed the knot on a towel before letting the brush sit to dry bristles up.

Pretty dry in my Toronto house right now and very little sun during the day...

- Razorock Barel 24mmx56mm Silvertip - at least 48 hours to dry. 72hrs would be more realistic. Big knot.

- Simpson M7 Best - 24-36hours.

- Omega 49 Boar - 24 hours

- Yaqi Sagrada Familia synthetic - 6-8 hours

YMMV.... if you live in Arizona, use a blow dryer, a fan, etc... 😜

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I was curious and checked to see how long some of my brushes took to be dry. I used the scientific method of carefully cramming my finger down the centre of the knot to check for residual moisture. I gently squeezed and brushed the knot on a towel before letting the brush sit to dry bristles up.

Pretty dry in my Toronto house right now and very little sun during the day...

- Razorock Barel 24mmx56mm Silvertip - at least 48 hours to dry. 72hrs would be more realistic. Big knot.

- Simpson M7 Best - 24-36hours.

- Omega 49 Boar - 24 hours

- Yaqi Sagrada Familia synthetic - 6-8 hours

YMMV.... if you live in Arizona, use a blow dryer, a fan, etc... 😜

As I understand it, the only truly important consideration is storage, as in storing a brush away in a airtight container or something very similar, in which case the brush must be not just dry but bone dry or absolutely dry (not in a scientific way, but a normal bone dry as we understand it). That requires perhaps more time.

For daily use it doesn't matter.

Well, it may not to normal people, but to B&B members...

Happy shaves,

Jim

Until recently, I only had one brush and it was used every day. It does look a litt Frazzled, but it still works as well as the day I put it in service. That being said, I now have a RR400 with the Plissoft knot and I love that brush. I want to use it every day, but I resist the temptation and instead allow it a day of rest. If I wasn’t on this one year sabbatical, I would buy another 400, but I am, so it will have to wait.

Top Bottom