What's new

How much does it take for a brush to fully dry?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I assumed this was accepted advice from brush manufacturers in order to extend brush life, and entirely coincidentally of course, to sell more brushes. I agree though that in years gone by brushes were often simply left wet in the mug with the left over soap. I have read threads where members have done this for several months 'just like grandpa used to' and they seem to have suffered no ill effects. As long as mould or fungus does not develop in the knot then I suspect the brush would last for years.
As a brushmaker, I say a brush should not only have time to dry, but also needs a rest between shaves, so a two-week time off is perfect for any brush. Just get a few that will be in service in these off periods....... :001_tt2:

Yes, it was a joke....

Weigh a brush that is known to be fully dry. Use the brush and store it as you normally would between shaves. Weigh the brush as often as you feel necessary. When the brush has returned to its "dry weight", you'll know how long it takes that particular brush to fully dry in your environment. Just my two cents...

Rudy Vey

I use sometimes the same brush for a week, some of them are very dense and are not 100% dry. Personally, i do not see any issues with using the same brush daily. My dad and grand dad did this for ever, they had one brush (each though...).
One of the most important thing, however, is to make sure that all residues of soap or cream are well rinsed out. if these residues stay inside the knot this is worse than having a slightly damp brush the next day.
After thoroughly rinsing the knot with warm water, I do shake the brush out an then brush it over a towel. As I said, most of them are dry in the evening, only the super dense big brushes may be a little damp the next morning.

I have a smaller boar, a dense boar, and a dense badger. The smaller, less dense boar can dry overnight. The other two definitely need a day between uses.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Here in Phoenix the air is quite dry and it seems to me that my badger brushes all dry within 24 hours. Not sure if maybe there’s the tiniest bit of moisture I am not noticing, or if it’s unique to the dry climate here, etc... But it’s my experience.

You don’t have to wait for it to dry to reuse it. Repeated wetting and drying cycles likely takes life off a brush faster, not adding any life to it.

I use smaller badgers, hung upside down to dry in my medicine cabinet, they are visibly dry within roughly 24 hours of use.

I use sometimes the same brush for a week, some of them are very dense and are not 100% dry. Personally, i do not see any issues with using the same brush daily. My dad and grand dad did this for ever, they had one brush (each though...).
One of the most important thing, however, is to make sure that all residues of soap or cream are well rinsed out. if these residues stay inside the knot this is worse than having a slightly damp brush the next day.
After thoroughly rinsing the knot with warm water, I do shake the brush out an then brush it over a towel. As I said, most of them are dry in the evening, only the super dense big brushes may be a little damp the next morning.
Rudy, I used to shake my brush in the shower stall to get the water out. But I was told that was bad on the brush. Now you are saying to shake it. I tend to believe you as an expert on brush construction. Is there something I’m missing here?

Rudy Vey

Rudy, I used to shake my brush in the shower stall to get the water out. But I was told that was bad on the brush. Now you are saying to shake it. I tend to believe you as an expert on brush construction. Is there something I’m missing here?
No....you miss nothing. Just make sure you do not let the brush slip out of your hand, like I did once....it hit the sink .... brush was fine, but the sink had cracked (seriously) and needed to be replaced. So, not sure if this was a superbly made brush (RVShaving...) or a crappy porcelain sink....brush is still in use. The incident happened a few years ago. I have no idea why it is bad for a brush to be shaken, unless it is a badly made brush.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've never understood why you have to dry a wet brush so you can soak it and get it wet again. I've ignored this advice for at least a dozen years since hearing it and never heard it for the first 35 years I've been shaving.

No....you miss nothing. Just make sure you do not let the brush slip out of your hand, like I did once....it hit the sink .... brush was fine, but the sink had cracked (seriously) and needed to be replaced. So, not sure if this was a superbly made brush (RVShaving...) or a crappy porcelain sink....brush is still in use. The incident happened a few years ago. I have no idea why it is bad for a brush to be shaken, unless it is a badly made brush.
I must make sure the LOTH does not see your post. She will be throwing my brushes at the sink!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I know you're supposed to let the brush FULLY dry before using it again.
So how much does it take for a brush (24mm knot to 28mm knot) to fully dry when left in a ventilated area?
Of course I understand it also has to do with climate, etc'. But more or less...
For example, I currently mainly use two brushes that I like and alternate between them.

It is pretty important to allow the knot to fully dry. Generally with a badger, boar, or horse knot, it takes about a year for the knot to dry completely. Therefore, you need at least 365 natural hair brushes.

Or, just one synthetic.

Of course, as Rudy mentioned, brushes also have to rest. Otherwise they become exhausted and rather cranky like children.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I told my wife I needed more brushes and she gave me the stink eye and said, “I need more shoes.”

I feel compelled to tell you a non-sequitur story about Stirling from yesterday. So my wife likes to come up oddly specific but strangely confusing descriptions of experiments I test out on her : Historically straight whiskey (this whiskey tastes like Bic pen caps) and now the smells of these zillion samples I go through [I think each one lasts about a week or so ]

So yesterday she walks in 20 minutes in and goes "OMG what are you doing, you smell like a librarian". Stick Rambling man in her face. "OKAY That smells REALLY good". (Empirically speaking she tends to like classically masculine scents - which she then imbues with a bit of mockery).

Continuing .. ".... however on YOUR skin it turns into a librarian."

The point?!?! Are we supposed to have points? Oh yea you can con your SO into enjoying your strange hobby with all sensory organs: stink eyes/noses and all? .. oh maybe I should join that book thread?

I feel compelled to tell you a non-sequitur story about Stirling from yesterday. So my wife likes to come up oddly specific but strangely confusing descriptions of experiments I test out on her : Historically straight whiskey (this whiskey tastes like Bic pen caps) and now the smells of these zillion samples I go through [I think each one lasts about a week or so ]

So yesterday she walks in 20 minutes in and goes "OMG what are you doing, you smell like a librarian". Stick Rambling man in her face. "OKAY That smells REALLY good". (Empirically speaking she tends to like classically masculine scents - which she then imbues with a bit of mockery).

Continuing .. ".... however on YOUR skin it turns into a librarian."

The point?!?! Are we supposed to have points? Oh yea you can con your SO into enjoying your strange hobby with all sensory organs: stink eyes/noses and all? .. oh maybe I should join that book thread?
Don’t get me wrong. She likes it that I’m back to shaving with a brush, soap and DE razor. She’s just not crazy about the idea of over a dozen brushes. She doesn’t get it that I rotate through my piddling collection of three brushes and can’t wait to get back to my RR 400 with the Plissoft knot.

She really loves to feel how smooth my face is after a shave.

I lived in Phoenix and never worried about a brush being dry by next morning. Now I live in Georgia and brushes are never used two days in a row.

This business of having to let a brush dry 100% between uses is a myth. It’s a good excuse to build a brush collection but that’s about it.

When you use a brush daily, the shaving soap keeps it clean and stops it from going mouldy. It you give the brush a short, diluted, vinegar soak every few weeks you will be golden and prevent any soap scum build up.

You should absolutely let a brush dry 100% before storing it away in a poorly ventilated cabinet. Between shaves is not necessary though.

I generally use a brush for a week at a time. Many have used the same brush daily for years at a time without fully drying the base of the knot between shaves with no ill effects.

Don’t get me wrong. She likes it that I’m back to shaving with a brush, soap and DE razor. She’s just not crazy about the idea of over a dozen brushes. She doesn’t get it that I rotate through my piddling collection of three brushes and can’t wait to get back to my RR 400 with the Plissoft knot.

She really loves to feel how smooth my face is after a shave.

to be honest .. I kinda get the idea of bathrooms not looking like a bonus scene from hoarders ! That s why everyone needs a dedicated den ;)

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I live in a medium humidity (50 to 60 %) with average Winter temperature going for 10 to 18 ° C in moderate temperature and Summer going for 43 to 48 °C.

Rainy season or Monsoon comes and goes, but we don't receive continuous rainfall.

Reason for the weather forecast is to understand what kind of temperate climate we have here.

In this area, I can get my Boar hair brush Omega 10098 (27 mm) and 10005 (24 mm) dry by 12-15 hours in Winter season, without any special care.

I have no experience with the Badgers.
I have a badger I used daily for thirty years. I got another one out of greed, lust, and such. Then another.

Top Bottom