What's new

How Much Do You Really Need?

I dont need anything and dont particularly want anything. I sometimes feel like I have more than I should even though nearly all that I have was gained through careful planning and some good decisions. I feel blessed to have had really good health so far. I am blessed to have had a long lived family. I spend as much time with them as I can because I know one day that will end.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
If you enjoy your life and work because you enjoy your work but dont need to, youre already ahead of most people.
Me personally, Im 40 years old and am planning a career change in the next year or so. My work pays very well but I dont enjoy it and I have a spouse who makes more than enough money to support our current lifestyle and could support me for a couple years if need be.
So, my plan in the next year or 2 is to quit my job in auto manufacturing and to go to school to be a barber. I love my barber shop and the thought of that being my career and being my own boss is very appealing to me. Ive talked to my barber about it and she has been very supportive and has told me that she would help me out along the way as much as I need and that I could talk to the shop owner and come in and shadow him or her any time I wanted and then when Im done with school, I could rent a chair in the shop and Id be off to the races.
Theres a part of me that is a bit afraid of throwing away a great job but life is too short to not chase your dreams and the thought of being my own boss and having a trade that I can take with me anywhere in the world just has no real downsides, from what I can see.
I have always espoused to others that they should mostly enjoy their work. If you are not enjoying it, change. Don't work for the money, work for the enjoyment. You may be poorer but will have a much happier life.

After decades of business, I have learnt that there us no such thing as being your own boss. Every customer/client becomes your "boss". You end up working for multiple bosses. It's all part of the challenge of business.

I have always espoused to others that they should mostly enjoy their work. If you are not enjoying it, change. Don't work for the money, work for the enjoyment. You may be poorer but will have a much happier life.

After decades of business, I have learnt that there us no such thing as being your own boss. Every customer/client becomes your "boss". You end up working for multiple bosses. It's all part of the challenge of business.
Im with you on that but kind of Im not. When I talk about being my own boss, I mean more that I can set my own hours, I can decide what days I want to work, I decide how much money I want to make, etc, etc.
You are right that every customer is my boss, in a way but its not the same as having a regular job where you work for a company who can fire you any time they want.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Im with you on that but kind of Im not. When I talk about being my own boss, I mean more that I can set my own hours, I can decide what days I want to work, I decide how much money I want to make, etc, etc.
You are right that every customer is my boss, in a way but its not the same as having a regular job where you work for a company who can fire you any time they want.
Set my own hours? I wish. When a client calls me at 2am Sunday morning and needs me then - I go.

As for making money, I found that, within reason, the more I charge per hour the more work I get and the more demanding a client becomes. Thrust me, that is not a good situation to be in.

I'm not trying to put you off of your decision. In fact I commend you. I am just pointing out a few situations that you might find yourself in. Haveing your own business is one of the most gratifying things that you can do, particularly if you can provide rewarding employment to others.

If you want to make money with little stress, work for a boss. If you want to make a little more money with a lot more stress, work for yourself.

Last edited:
At this time of year my father always asks what do I want for Christmas. Given I am (a) 59 yo and (b) lived in Asia for quite a while, getting physical gifts here is costly and takes organisation. So I always reply that I want a Ferrari. I end up with Amazon vouchers.

Top Bottom