What's new

How much difference can a brush make?

The only thing I can add is that you'll have to learn from experience. I bought a badger, boar, and synthetic my first year. All different in knot size and loft. After a years use I found that I prefer boar brushes. The boar, however, had a large knot with a tall loft. As someone who face lathers and only does a two pass shave, this brush was not ideal. It ate up a lot of soap and was too floppy. I looked around and found the Semogue 1438. It is the perfect brush for me, and it's all I've used since I bought it.
My advice is to take note of what you like and dislike about your current brushes. Then, take a look around and find one that fits your needs.

Hi fistfull...
you can drive a car that gets you from A to B and you can use a shaving brush that allows you to spread the lather in your face. A nicer brush is like a nicer car ... it gets the job done but with more fun than a Corolla:thumbup:

I enjoy face-lathering. So, for me having a quality brush is worth the $. But that‘s me! :a29:

I also get good lather using inexpensive brushes, I just don’t enjoy the experience as much.

Bottom line, different strokes for different folks!!

Order an Elite Manchurian fan knot for around sixty bucks. Find a cheap resin handle that you can put it into with a small amount of silicone that you can get from the local hardware store. The silicone will dry overnight and it'll hold the knot just fine. Whipped Dog used to sell inexpensive resin handles for around six or eight bucks. Just don't go crazy with the silicone as you're going to want to pull the knot and reset it a couple times.

Use a set of calipers (mine were like twelve bucks from Harbor Freight) to set the loft to around 50mm for a 24mm knot. A larger knot maybe set at a slightly lower height. If it's too floppy then pull the knot with a good tug and reset it slightly lower maybe a millimeter or two. Too much backbone then raise it up a bit. After you have the loft where you like really it then use it and enjoy it for a while. You have a really nice brush for around $70. Maybe at some point spring for a custom handle from Wolf Whiskers or Mozingo Brushworks for around $80 to $100 or so. Send them the knot and share the loft height and they'll install it more permanent with some epoxy. Maybe get the handle as a Birthday gift to yourself or something to celebrate a special occasion (anniversary, a promotion at work, birth of a child, etc). This way you'll have an excellent knot in an outstanding custom handle. Around $60 for the knot and around another $100 or so for the handle. You'll have a really, really outstanding brush and you can split the payment up over time to make it much more affordable.
Thanks.

Do you have much experience with the Elite Razors knots? I was actually looking at their site and they have some really nice handles. A 24 mm Manchurian on one of their Burle and Resin handles looks pretty nice.

Thanks.

Do you have much experience with the Elite Razors knots? I was actually looking at their site and they have some really nice handles. A 24 mm Manchurian on one of their Burle and Resin handles looks pretty nice.

Yes, I own a couple of the Manchurian fan knots from Elite and they are very nice knots. I do not own any Elite made handles but they are really nicely done. Bob at Elite does really nice work.

The knots reminded me of some of the better Declaration Brushworks knots but a bit less densely packed. Definitely an excellent value and worth the $60 or so asking price. I prefer the fan knots myself but that's a personal preference thing. I prefer fans as they seem to pickup the soap a bit more easily the trade off is less precision when applying the lather to your face but it's not that you need to be quite that precise anyway.

I don't use the Elite brushes very often anymore as I've moved on to some others like Black Eagle and Varlet ($400 plus brushes). But I can tell you that the Elite Manchurian is a really nice knot and rather enjoyable to use, even after using brushes that cost several times as much on a regular basis.

You won't go wrong in purchasing one.

Yes, I own a couple of the Manchurian fan knots from Elite and they are very nice knots. I do not own any Elite made handles but they are really nicely done. Bob at Elite does really nice work.

The knots reminded me of some of the better Declaration Brushworks knots but a bit less densely packed. Definitely an excellent value and worth the $60 or so asking price. I prefer the fan knots myself but that's a personal preference thing. I prefer fans as they seem to pickup the soap a bit more easily the trade off is less precision when applying the lather to your face but it's not that you need to be quite that precise anyway.

I don't use the Elite brushes very often anymore as I've moved on to some others like Black Eagle and Varlet ($400 plus brushes). But I can tell you that the Elite Manchurian is a really nice knot and rather enjoyable to use, even after using brushes that cost several times as much on a regular basis.

You won't go wrong in purchasing one.
Thanks a lot for the information.

As someone who is a little nervous splurging $150+ on a brush, can you comment on the longevity of the knots/brushes? As someone who just got back into wet shaving less than 3 months back, the only two brushes I have are cheap Yaqi brushes under $30. I don't mind splurging on a 'premium' brush but want to get a better idea on their general life expectancy.

If taken proper care of, would they last a few years?

I enjoy face-lathering. So, for me having a quality brush is worth the $. But that‘s me! :a29:

I also get good lather using inexpensive brushes, I just don’t enjoy the experience as much.

Bottom line, different strokes for different folks!!
I just got back into wet shaving again after a while but I have always face lathered. So a quality brush would work really well for me too. I just don't know what I am missing, which in turn makes me nervous about spending money on it .. ha ha.

Thanks a lot for the information.

As someone who is a little nervous splurging $150+ on a brush, can you comment on the longevity of the knots/brushes? As someone who just got back into wet shaving less than 3 months back, the only two brushes I have are cheap Yaqi brushes under $30. I don't mind splurging on a 'premium' brush but want to get a better idea on their general life expectancy.

If taken proper care of, would they last a few years?

If taken care of properly a high quality brush can last over a decade.

[...] the brushes I have are 2 Yaqi brushes (one synthetic and one badger) both of which were around $30. Its not that I don't think a brush is important, I just don't understand enough about them. [...]

IMHO, ignorance on this matter is a bliss. Else it is very easy to fall deep into the rabbit hole. The topic is so subjective that the only solution is trial and error... Again, YMMV but IMO, from a utilitarian point of view, it is difficult to find a natural hair brush that outperforms a modern synthetic. Face feel excluded of course.

Really curious about this .. despite knowing what curiosity does to people .. ;)

I ordered a Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic and am working with Rudy to see if I can get a Badger Brush as well. One of each should give me a good idea on what I like. Hopefully.

• The ability to retain sufficient water to make a good lather.
  • The ability to load sufficient soap.
  • The quality of lather the brush helps make.
  • The feel of the brush on my face, neck, and head.
  • The amount of lather the brush makes and retains.

I face lather daily and agree with everything ackvil said, but in addition, while the brush needs to hold enough lather for the shave, I also insist that it gives the bloody stuff back to me when I ask for it. I have a badger, three boars and two synthetics. The badger, which was the most expensive at something like 65 CAD, never gets used anymore, because no matter how much I load, usually 30 - 60 seconds, it is very stingy about giving it back. The first pass is just OK, the second is annoying because I have to keep squeezing the brush, and often have to go back to the puck for the third pass.

My favourites are a boar, and both my synthetics. The boar is the Omega 10049 (18 CAD). The synthetics are the Razorock Big Bruce (26 mm., 19 CAD) and the Razorock Snowman (24 mm, CAD 13).

So my cheapest brushes are the best performers. They have all the qualities ackvil listed, and they never spoil my happy disposition in the morning by hoarding the lather.

I have three brushes: the EJ badger I started wet shaving with some years ago, a small boar I picked up after posts here made me curious about them, and an APShaveCo 24mm synthetic tuxedo. I use all three in rotation. For a long time I didn't care for the synth brush; I thought it too soft. Now I love it, and it adds to the shaving experience.

Its all pleasure to the senses. Minimal functional differences imo.
Get a large omega boar and set it low in a nice handle. What a brush!

A brush can make all the difference in the world.

The quality of the lather, the feel on your face, and product retention on the bristles are all a part of the experience of the brush. Having said that, you don't have top spend a fortune on a brush to get a quality shave. Some of those Super badger brushes from Simpson can get really pricey but are they THAT much better. For some people the answer is "yes," for others, maybe not. I have the Plisson synthetic that they used to make for L'Occitane and it was around $35. One of the finest brushes on the planet!!

I think it is another facet of the hobby that can get as expensive as you want it to be and the only person that has to be happy with it is you!! YMMV!! This goes for brushes as well as anything else.

Hope this helps.

+1

I have a collection of badger, boar, horsehair, and synthetic brushes. Some brushes work best with certain types of soaps. Other brushes will work with any soap in my large collection.

If you are on a tight budget, I would suggest getting either a good synthetic brush or a good boar brush. In the past few years, synthetic brushes have come a long way and you can get brushes with a range of face feel. A boar brush can be horrible at first, but once broken in may be superb. I have a $15 Omega 10098 Professional boar that is fully broken in. It has a face feel as nice as premium silvertip badger brushes costing ten times as much.

I have tried inexpensive badger brushes and they have always been a disappointment. However, I love a high quality badger brush- either silvertip or two-band finest badger. If you skin is sensitive, skip the black badger, pure badger, and best badger brushes as they will have a scritchy feel.

Last time out camping, I was stuck setting up in a regulated campsite. I came across a geezer older than myself. He had out a water bowl, mirror, towel, and was preparing to shave, so I asked if he would mind if I watched. He proceeded to tell me all about his stuff - a worthy Pre-War Fat Handle Tech, some soap in a plastic dish, and ... a brush.
He explained that his daughter gave him the brush as a Birthday present & it was his pride & joy. It WAS expensive, and he said that you needed an expensive Badger in order to make a lather right & get a correct and close shave.
His wife came out of their tent & was all annoyed that all he ever did was talk about shaving & he had almost a dozen razors, which was foolish, because you really only need one (she wanted me to agree with her). I didn't have the heart to tell her that I had nearly 40, not counting the 6-8 straight razors.
I excused myself & told them I'd be right back.
I got out my 1917 Old Type with the replacement handle section I'd nickeled myself, a sample size puck of a Sterling Soap and ... my $6 E-Bay Chinese Synthetic. It lathers like a demon, and I whipped up some suds before he could get a close look at the brush - he was still eyeing the shiney nickel handle on my Old Type.
When he asked about my brush I just told him it was 'imported' - my lather was every bit as dense & slick as his & I wasn't gonna tell him my brush was only $6.
Ends up he was also interested in guns & I just happened to have brought along one of my Trapdoor Springfield Carbines. Before leaving to go shoot, I mentioned something so that his wife could hear: I was guessing that if their daughter looked anything like Mama (she WAS a striking looking woman for her age) that the daughter must be a real beauty. It gave her a big smile.
He had never fired a Trapdoor before & was thrilled - so thrilled that he got out his wallet to show me a picture of the daughter who gave him his prized brush.

... she was as homely as a mud fence ...

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You've got two decent brushes and it doesn't sound like you're having problems getting the lather you want. I'm not sure you want to rush into expensive brushes before you know exactly what you like and don't like in a brush.

You should probably consider a boar. Most Semogue boar brushes are under your $35 and they get lots of praise here. Do you like tall or short, lots of backbone or more floppy, big or small, a baby's fingers caress from the tips or a steel brush? You want to have a pretty good idea before you plunk down the big bucks.

I have a Kent BK8 badger that I purchased many years ago for around $135. It never loses a hair and the face feel is so luxurious I have to force myself to stop using it and get to the razor. But the brush I use for face lathering is an SOC badger that was around $65. The Kent is great in the scuttle, the SOC is much better for me with face lathering (smaller with more backbone). I would think you'd want to have a pretty good idea what you like so you don't use the $150 brush to find out.

And you can make perfectly usable lather with any decent brush. It might take a little more work with some, but for most people (depending on your water) most brushes will eventually get the job done reasonably well.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I like nice-looking brushes. But when I see brushes over $40...I stop looking. But that's me. I have no problem dropping a lot of money on a razor though. I ordered my first Simpson brush yesterday...Trafalgar...$20. The really expensive ones...I just don't go there. But again...that's me.

Have 2 brushes, one $4 the other $10 (a gift). I’ve used them daily for 10 years. They make good lather. I get BBS every time. If either ever wears out I’ll spend $4 on another one

Top Bottom