What's new

How much did you spend on your first pipe?

My first pipe was a Pete 314 as pictured in my Avatar from my local tobacconist at around $80 in '95. No regrets at all, great pipe that takes a fair beating and remains a favorite.

As I'm in the UK, my first pipe was a clay pipe.

None of your fancy corn cob designs for us, no sir!

It was a great way to test the water, so to speak.

I soon got a briar, but gave it away when I took up cigars instead.

My mid-life crisis is now telling me I want another pipe, and knowing that I will like it, I will probably spend some money and buy a "keeper".

But starting out? Keep it cheap.

$9.99 on a piece of crap that sucked poop until I found out I could pull the darn thing apart and pulled this stupid little air limiter out. Now the thing smokes like a champ!

I just ordered my first pipe two days ago and went with a $50 Viking. A smoke shop down the way from where I live has a "barrel o' pipes" that come out to $40 each with tax and they had some nice looking ones in there, but I wanted to try and go with one of a little better quality. I settled on the Viking because of the way one felt in my hand in the smoke shop, the look, and the price I got it for online. I cannot wait to try it!!

I think I spent about $180 pesos on a Medico pipe when living in Mexico about 10 years ago. Didn't like it very much - turns out it's Brylon!

I picked up a corn cob at the local CVS pharmacy with a pouch of Captain Black for about $9 each. It was an impulse purchase to quit cigarettes at a pack a day. A week later I picked up a $30 generic 'basket briar' which has been my go-to pipe since then. The cob is great as a starter pipe, but honestly, it smokes great. I beat the crap out of it learning how to smoke properly and had no guilt for less than $10. Think of it like cars... it's sweet to have a Ferrari for a first car, but there will probably be serious damage to the transmission and whatnot as you learn to drive.

Also, when I bought my briar, the tobacconist had some good advice. He suggested I pick up and hold every pipe and find the one that sits in your hand and fits the best. Holding the pipe is half of the smoking experience. I did that, and was surprised as to how much the pipes I thought looked cool, actually felt awkward to hold. The briar I bought I probably wouldn't have picked based on appearance, though it looks fine. But it smokes great and feels great to hold and I've enjoyed it a lot.

This thread and the PMs I've received have been super helpful. There has been a wealth of helpful "new to the Brown Leaf" threads, which are also
giving me lots to go on. Thanks fellas. I'll report back when pipes is in hand. :sailor:

I'm going to need it this semester. :bored::laugh:

Just picked up this Pipa Croci Billiard on the 'bay for $75. I probably won't smoke it until I've got some experience with either a Cob a Meerschaum or both.
Should be Cob-Bound soon enough.

Does anyone know much about Pipa Croci pipes or whether I've done ok price-wise? I was a bit reluctant about spending money without
knowing the actual value, or even considerations that go into the value of this or any pipe. The seller was a nice fellow to deal with.

$$T2eC16NHJHYE9nzpcw(7BQ6)nb0mFw~~60_57.jpg
$$T2eC16FHJFoE9nh6m+QqBQ6)nnrNSQ~~60_57.jpg

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Necropost...!

My first three pipes were all PIFed to me. Thanks, @Vlad @Price @maniv85 ! The first pipe that I purchased was a package deal that I bought here in the BST about a month after I started smoking. $40 shipped for 4 pipes, 2 pipe stands, a pipe tool, some pipe freshener, a lighter, and about 8 or 9 samples. I did have to clean the pipes up quite a bit though. One of them, a Dr. Grabow, I never bothered doing anything with.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Whatever a Dr. Grabow cost in 2001? Smooth and shiny in all of it's blister pack Glory. After we are long gone some future race will probably find its fossilized remains and it will still smell like Cherry Cavendish.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
My first pipe was a Kaywoodie half bent apple, and I think I paid around $30 for it in 1995. It was also my only pipe for almost a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first was a dr graybow I grabbed at walgreens. On the way to a river to fish on my birthday :thumbup:. I believe was $25-30ish. This is the pipe and blend that started it all for me.

20170208_170558.jpg

Top Bottom