What's new

How much did you spend on your first pipe?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My first pipes were a pair of Kaywoodies I believe I picked up from @Gamma many many moons ago. I forget how much they were tho.

Wow - that was many moons ago... I loved Kaywoodies they were my favorites actually.
I still have one, and a Dunhill too. But I don't smoke anymore, so they're just conversation pieces.

I spent like $25 on mine, and that was $30 too much. :( I made the huge mistake of buying a brylon pipe. I should have read way more about pipes and brands before buying one. lol

$6.

Missouri Meershcaum Legend at a gas station. Sadly It was lost many years back.
BTW, there's a really great friendly shop out Buffalo way. They have a monthly pipe club meeting every third Thursday night at 7pm, and the owner and his son are both pipe carvers. Smokers Haven in Tonawanda.

My first pipe was purchased from Tinder Box in about 1984: an Oom Paul model (don't know the maker) in smooth brown, with an acrylic stem. I still have it. Cannot recall what I spent, but it wasn't anything really high, even for those days. Maybe $25?

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
$0.00. My first pipe was a birthday gift. It was as a no name pipe that I got in 2003 while deployed for OIF. Because I didn’t know how to smoke a pipe then, I tossed it after a few smokes (it gargled too much). The second was pipe was from a 2017 PIF here. I got a Savinelli Porto Cervo. The next pipes after that we’re some cobs the were PIF’d as well. Then 2 briar blanks to carve for a birthday gift. My first pipe I purchased was a MM Wizard Cobbit and that was to commentate my retirement from the Navy. Then it’s just been downhill from there getting more corncob pipes for mods and gifting to friends at work, church or other Navy retirees. I’ve been fortunate to receive some other PIFs as well.

My first pipe was a drug store pipe back around 1972. It didn't work out, likely because of my tobacco choice, some sort of black cherry stuff. Then I bought a little apple from a Town Crier and some Borkum Riff, that worked better, still in the early '70s. I have no idea what it cost. I ended up with four pipes from that early pipe smoking round, lasting until around 1986 or 1987. Still have all four, three briars and a Meer.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
It would have been 1967 and it was one of those medal things with changeable bowls and was probably less than $5. My first “good” pipe was a Peterson Prince in 1972 which would have been about $15 which was a hefty outlay at the time. Unbelievably, I still have and smoke that pipe.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I don’t remember. I do remember losing it on a backroad after putting it in the back bumper and wandering to the side of the road to relieve myself. I realized I did t have it about 15min later. Went back and looked and couldn’t find it. It was a basket pipe so probably not more than $30.

About 18 years ago I bought a sub-$2 MM hardwood. A week or so later I found a nice smaller unfinished pipe in a bargain bin at a local B&M that specialized in pipes and cigars and paid about $15 for it.

About a decade ago I was cleaning it up and boring out the shank, to fix a draw that was a bit too tight, and I noticed that it had markings on it. When I looked closely I saw that it was marked “Savinelli Italy” with the two pipes and the shield with an S in it. After some Googling I figured out how good of a deal I got on that pipe.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I don't remember exactly, but it was $5 or less, for a MM Legend. Just about 10 years ago. My first briar was $15.

I bought a pair of Wessex Hyde Parks from Smoking Pipes. I can't remember what they cost, but it wasn't much. They were awful enough that it didn't take me long to pick up a Peterson Aran from the local Tinderbox for $45 or so. Still love that Pete, even though it's so ghosted by Tinderbox's Midnight Blend that a retort cleaning barely touched it.

1977 picked a billiard off the board over the register at a drug store and a can of Velvet, total investment well under $20 or I couldn't have afforded it. Never really mastered the pipe, I was heavy into Copenhagen and the pipe was a novelty to me. Think I did go through a second can of Velvet before the pipe got put aside. I come across the pipe every once in a while when moving or deep cleaning some drawers, or... Now that I'm back to piping I can't find it.

I never lost the daily nicotine urge and didn't want to go back to the Cope, I found the occasional cigar kept the urges at bay. Can't stand the stale cigar stench in the house so the pipe it is for indoor use. 3-4 years ago @alpster and @Price piffed me a couple pipes and tobacco. A couple pipes a week keeps me happy and content.

Top Bottom