What's new

How much cream do you use...

How many ml of cream do you use per shave (see below for guide to what 1ml is)

• less than 0.5ml

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 0.5ml to 1ml

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • 1ml to 1.5ml

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • 1.5ml to 2ml

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • over 2ml

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
... and how much does this vary between products?

I'm new to creams, by which I mean I tried one a few years ago but binned it, and have only used one cream twice since trying creams again. It seems that with the current cream (Erasmic), I need between 0.5ml and 1ml to give me lather for three passes with a damp (not dripping wet) boar brush.

To make that easier to picture, 1ml is a 1cm (3/8") cube.

With that in mind, how many ml of cream do you use per shave? Please feel free to say which creams you use.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
ML's I have no clue. I dip the tips and twist the brush if I need too.

I used this much Captain's Choice cream.

IMG_2191.jpg

That gave me this much lather.

IMG_2173.JPG

There was enough lather in my brush for 2 or 3, 3 pass shaves plus another shave left in the bowl.

Using half that much CRS gives me a comparable amount of lather in my synthetic brush. My synthetic has a 22mm knot. The Omega is a 24mm boar.

You'll likely find that the more time you spend building a lather, the more lather you get, especially with the better soaps and creams.

Keep your brush on the dry side. Its easier to add a few drops of water than go back to the tub for more product.

I don’t mind overloading my brushes a tad , I usually put a quarter sized amount of cream in a mug and lather , if it doesn’t create the volume or quality I look for I’ll add more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put in about .05 ml of cream and that gives me enough lather for a four pass shave on my face and two on my head. However, I face lather and put that amount on my face and head and lather it up.

I use a lot. I cover my face with enough to be used brushless, strop, then lather it up with a damp brush. It softens the beard so well and is so slick I could probably use a spoon to shave. More is better for me when I use creams.

I have actually started keeping track recently of this and facelathering it's between 2 and 3ml in tube variants. It depends on the cream too. Some are denser and generate more lather with less product. Also, some tubes i just want to finish them quicker and i put more. I finished recently a 150ml Proraso tube in exactly 50 shaves (3ml per shave). Before that, an Arko (100ml) in 44 shaves. I am convinced, that in bowl lathering, i used to consume less cream, because i would make more lather in the bowl.

Note: I do 3 full passes and relather for touchups, but if the last lather isn't spectacular, it's ok.

I use a small ice cream “sampler” spoon and load it into my shave mug. That way I can keep the cream dry and I only take what I need. That small scoop is good for two to three passes depending on the brush.

I use a small ice cream “sampler” spoon and load it into my shave mug. That way I can keep the cream dry and I only take what I need. That small scoop is good for two to three passes depending on the brush.
Ditto. In terms of volume, I would say the amount is consistent with that if a pea for my ToOBS creams. I also use a brush that varies between 14mm as the smallest and 18mm as the largest 80% of the time. These use the least amount of product.
My larger brushes get hard pucks 90% of the time.

Veering away from the metric system, and when I was using the big Vitos tubes, I measured out 1/4 teaspoon. Honestly, I probably could have cut that in half and still have gotten more than enough lather. Cream is a concentrated soap, and I treated it as such.

Don

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Depending on the cream I use either a dollop the size of a pea to a dollop the size of an almond. I have used creams in the past that have taken the equivalent of an apricot to develop a usable lather.

I put in about .05 ml of cream and that gives me enough lather for a four pass shave on my face and two on my head. However, I face lather and put that amount on my face and head and lather it up.
I believe you got that number wrong. In my opinion, it is not possible to make usable lather out of 50µl of anything.

I went to a Gelato shop with REV579 Jr. just after Christmas and came home with a couple of sample spoons to go with the Baskin & Robbins sample spoon.
4F69CB5A-7DE8-46E9-807E-0E4D9ADA0B64.jpeg

Probably closer to 0.5, but really hard to say because I don't measure and it depends on the brush size and how wet of a lather I want. While too little product produces a poor lather, too much results in a sticky lather which I don't like..

Top Bottom