What's new

How much butane do you use?

I am using a Xikar single flame lighter and Ronson butane. I stocked up on 20 of the 290 ml bottles, the largest size they make. I am thinking of getting 30 more, hehe. I use fuel like a ****. I take a long time smoking and breaks and the cigar goes out many times. I also light without drawing on the cigar, so that takes more fuel too.

The Bic lighters are good in low wind conditions but that is not normal here. I am thinking I may go thru a large bottle of butane per month or two. Have not measured anything yet.

Fiber Grip Cross Lock Tweezers Round Tips Self Holding Locking Soldering Jewelry/ I use this device a lot if I get down to the nub and want to keep going to the end. It is the smaller size of the two sizes of this tool and is on Ebay if you use them.
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I am using a Xikar single flame lighter and Ronson butane. I stocked up on 20 of the 290 ml bottles, the largest size they make. I am thinking of getting 30 more, hehe. I use fuel like a ****. I take a long time smoking and breaks and the cigar goes out many times. I also light without drawing on the cigar, so that takes more fuel too.

The Bic lighters are good in low wind conditions but that is not normal here. I am thinking I may go thru a large bottle of butane per month or two. Have not measured anything yet.

Fiber Grip Cross Lock Tweezers Round Tips Self Holding Locking Soldering Jewelry/ I use this device a lot if I get down to the nub and want to keep going to the end. It is the smaller size of the two sizes of this tool and is on Ebay if you use them. View attachment 1342135
... the modern roach clip. :001_rolle Of course, that requires that you take the band off first, like all polite cigar smokers do.

As far as butane, it depends on what you use it in, and how much. A jet flame eats a lot more fuel than a soft flame. And a multiple jet cigar torch uses multiple times more fuel than that. I guess I go through a big can or so a year. But I am primarily a soft flame pipe smoker, and only burn a second or two worth of fuel at most on each smoke. I think I go though more flints than fuel at this point. I now light my cigars primarily with a single jet (or if it's a particularly enormous ring size, a twin jet), but don't smoke them quite as much as in years past. So I'm a pretty efficient butane user.

But if the gentlemen are over for a stogie or pipe party, all bets are off. I often find I have a lot of near empty lighters to refill (and a lot less booze) when they leave.

YMMV.

I don't smoke, but I loan out my lighter a lot. It's a Zippo Blu2. Soft flame, not jet.
My other butane is a $3 Scripto jet lighter. I use it to melt the ends of paracord, or other random purposes.
A 300mL can of butane will last me 7-8 months between the two lighters.

I draw on the light so I can't compare. I want to say a can lasts me over a year but that is the big can. Like 70's and 80's hair spray can size (from what I remember...) My shop no longer stocks thosee and the Vertigo, Lotus or whatever they stock now is a slimmer can. Probably half the size. If I was smoking like I used to it would last 4-6 months.

My quad jet table torch burns more than my single or dual jet. I use the zippo inserts mostly. I can get a good 6ish cigars lit and relit with one refill. I think.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I am gonna be on Greta Thunberg's shiet list for all the butane I am burning. Got to be careful with the jet flame as it is so hot. No burns as of now hehe.

Top Bottom