What's new

How much are safety razors 'really' making a comeback?

That's a very pertinent assessment. The goal was convenience at the 'lowest' possible cost, and they succeded.

Not really, if only marketing could make it happen. Convenience is conducive to many things but not to shift the minds towards sustainability or product life-cycle enhancement, and history is rife with countless examples. The whole mentality behind disposables - be it writing or shaving implements - is accessibility / maintenance = infinite peace of mind. We're past the PSR on this one, unless a paradigm shift turns things around, thing is, that might not be wet shaving at all.

That's absolutely true, but what i'm trying to say is that I hardly know any people who shave with anything that isn't cartridge, electric shaver or a trimmer and when I tell someone that I use a DE razors, most people are saying things like - oh you mean those razors that our grandfathers used in the past, are those things still produced? The first thing that comes up in mind when people hear about a straight or DE razor is a bloodthirsty torturing device made by the devil himself and they wouldn't even dare try the mildest possible razor.

The other thing is that the majority of people are following trends for no reason at all and they buy whatever it's accepted by the masses. For instance, I have an old smartphone that is considered to be ancient device by the modern standards, but for me smartphones are extremely limited and I absolutely see no reason to buy a new one when I can do whatever I want on my laptop and use old and new programs alike. Lots of people think i'm crazy for still using that old phone knowing that I can buy a new one any time I want, but I just don't see the point of doing it and if I ask them why they want a new one so much they probably wouldn't be able to give me a logical answer as well, but it all comes down to buying the latest and newest product.

On other hand we're also guilty for that as well, because if you think about it when a new DE razor is introduced, lots of people are buying it and they forget about the old ones pretty quickly. The same goes for blades, brushes, soaps etc. It almost feels like playing a video game and you change your gear and weapons and throw the old and weak ones and use the new better ones. I still remember when the Razorock Game Changer was introduced and lots of people were super hyped and almost everyone who had it was loving it and all of that, but right now you can barely see anyone using it on the ''what razor/blade did you use today'' forum.

We just like the latest and newest toy more than the old one regardless of which one is the better one.

Last edited:
I would say safety razors and double edge blades are probably doing good but most safety razors last much longer than a cartridge handle. I think wet shaving products may be doing well because soaps are being made by lots of different small businesses now. Wet shaving products can be used with any cutting utensil.

That's absolutely true, but what i'm trying to say is that I hardly know any people who shave with anything that isn't cartridge, electric shaver or a trimmer and when I tell someone that I use a DE razors, most people are saying things like - oh you mean those razors that our grandfathers used in the past, are those things still produced? The first thing that comes up in mind when people hear about a straight or DE razor is a bloodthirsty torturing device made by the devil himself and they wouldn't even dare try the mildest possible razor.
Precisely ! It conjures reluctance and inconvenience, and that's without taking into account the inherent learning curve. I've noticed the same thing with vinyl exposure, giving up under different types of pressures, one can easily acquire a decent setup and get a taste of analogic Shangri-La; but without understanding the incurring loses that derive from poor -or lack of preventive- maintenance, platform inherent, and that revived passion will be soon drawn to an end. The psychology behind ADs is quite complex and its understanding quite fragmented at the moment. Suffice it to say that one's bound to do whatever brings 'her/him/it' satisfactions, that's an inevitable derivative of human condition. Cultural, peer and social pressure can and will determine individuals to find personal relevance on those competing grounds; economical and environmental considerations aside, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, but bring those two in and the matter becomes exponentially more complicated.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments on this thread. I am pretty much floored at how much interest this thread generated!

I understand DE razors will never overtake cartridge razors, but to me that doesn't matter at all. I will continue to enjoy my DE shaves (with my 39c Sledgehammer) knowing I will never ever have to purchase those ridiculously overpriced cartridges again.

Jason.

Ya never know. Who, twenty years ago, could have foreseen the revival of vinyl records to the point where they are now outselling CDs?
Well, physical mediums have declined for decades, with streaming cornering 75% of the market that's hardly a comeback, without accounting for downloads. Convenience reigns supreme and that's no surprise.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As little as 12 years or so ago, if you wanted a DE razor you bought a used one off of eBay, or got a Merkur a Muhle or a Parker. There were a few artisan soap makers out there, some of whom actually made soap and not just melt and pour glycerin stuff.
Today, there are more Razor makers than you can possibly imagine from all over the world. Soap makers abound and produce every scent and type of soap you can possibly imagine.
Yes, this is a niche market. It certainly isn't mainstream - but there are enough people who are doing it these days to support a growing cottage industry, so the numbers are not finite.

As little as 12 years or so ago, if you wanted a DE razor you bought a used one off of eBay, or got a Merkur a Muhle or a Parker. There were a few artisan soap makers out there, some of whom actually made soap and not just melt and pour glycerin stuff.
Today, there are more Razor makers than you can possibly imagine from all over the world. Soap makers abound and produce every scent and type of soap you can possibly imagine.
Yes, this is a niche market. It certainly isn't mainstream - but there are enough people who are doing it these days to support a growing cottage industry, so the numbers are not finite.
Good point, though even in a pseudo-relativistic system resources are limited - as a mere function of instantaneous exploitable availabilities - the industry's growth potential cannot be ignored. Still, there's the perennial anthropological problem. Are there enough behavioural grounds for mass appeal ? Especially considering the well established foundations conferring instant gratification ? For any practical solution to garner critical mass, I fear there's need for a resonating environment.

The shelves in the shaving sections at Walmart, Target, Walgreens and all of the other regular retail stores that the average men and women purchase their shaving supplies from doesn’t support this.
I only shop online. Many urban people are like me I think. I heard about DE and leaf from a Vegan. I really like it

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't think it's a mass appeal flash in the pan. I see it more as a grass roots expansion.
Most younger people socialize and shop online now.
Brick and mortar stores are oh so Boomer.
Younger adults are looking at ways to make a dollar go further, and have a heightened sense of their own environmental impact.
Plastic carts and canned aerosol foam are becoming less popular.
With a hearty online presence, and I don't mean just B&B, but Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other Social Media points, exposure is small but constant.

I find DE and wet shaving as we define it to be a niche that was largely enabled by the internet. My first razor if I recall correctly (1971 or thereabouts) was probably a hand me down Schlick injector or possibly a black handled Superspeed. Later I got a Paul Revere pewter handled Schlick. Trac 2 was next and then my last razor until about 7 years ago was a Gillette Atra. White dress shirts and neck nicks did not go well together and electrics were my tool of choice. The shaves were an acceptable chore.

I then saw an ad for a Detroit razor which piqued my interest and caused me to do some research and a Merkur 34c was purchased from Amazon. Next came B&B and learning more about what was to become something special to me. eBay was the source of a number of vintage razors. The brush and soap rabbit holes were next (thank you B&B).

This all coincided with my wife‘s terminal illness and I found the ritual of wet shaving was one of the few moments of escape in a difficult time. I no longer need the escape more than 4 1/2 years after my wife’s death but I enjoy it and can’t picture any other way to start my day.

All of this being said, most people think my shaving routine is crazy. The cost of carts or electrics is not a factor for the people that I have tried to interest, they just aren’t interested. Have I saved money? Not even close, it is the experience that I value.

If I had to rely on brick and mortar stores Van der Hagen would have been my only choice and Norelco would still be my razor.

After a long ramble, it is clear to me that we are fortunately the beneficiaries of a modern era that has allowed us to enjoy vintage and modern reminders of a past time. But let’s not fool ourselves and think we are anything more than people in a very small niche.

But let’s not fool ourselves and think we are anything more than people in a very small niche.

While this is true, I've seen this niche grow since I joined this site in 2016. There are so many more artisan makers of both software and hardware now -- they must be making a living somehow. I've gone back in time by reading some old threads from 2005 (this is as far as threads go) and back then they only talked about the established brands because there were very few artisans and online stores compared to what is available now. Heck, Floid was not readily available in the States back then (how could shavers survive under those conditions...barbaric).

So there is a chance that we could become a very big niche one of these days. If that never happens, well, I've got enough soap, blades, aftershaves and razors to get me through the apocalypse, so I'm good.

I didn't think I had much to contribute to this discussion except my usual cynicism, but now that I think about I can think of another niche market that got started close to my home. In the early 80s. Craft beer, specifically Anchor Brewing, Sierra Nevada and a few more. I have the book by Ken Grossman, but haven't re-read it in some time.

I think the point I want to hit on is one that was alien to me and will be alien to even younger generations. Brands, what's your brand? We all know Coke and Pepsi, even though there are a couple more in certain regions. Beer used to be that way and to some extent still is. America was and largely still is the home to the most well known mega corps around. It's hard to get your head around the limited controlled choices that existed post war up until recently. I am getting off track here.

Shaving is still considered a necessary evil and not an enjoyable experience largely so my analogy with craft beer may falter a bit. But, craft beer gave people a new choice. A chance to take the road less traveled and that made all the difference. Um, actually that turned into a gold mine. The thing is it's still an artisan product with rotating inventory and seasonal offerings. It is a growing industry that hasn't largely lost its soul. So maybe I am making a case for soap makers, but if enough people like something niche enough there is a chance of it becoming parallel to main stream. Enough market to support many small and medium companies with sustainable growth if they are smart about it.

but this article projects a decline in global sales of DE blades from $1.2B in 2020 to $980M in 2026.
To get the full report my entire shaving budget for the next decades would be needed ($4000,=) so I am just guessing but I think there are two trends; the greater of the two would be the switch from DE (or SE) to cartridges in lower to middle income countries and the smaller one would be the growing popularity of DE shaving in the western world. In absolute numbers the trend is apparantly downwards but the money is to be made here; I mean, TV ads by Gillette showing a DE razor? Never seen those in my life before.

For the blade hoarders (me included) this is the time to buy big; once we in the western hemisphere are the main market for DE blades there is not a chance that you can pick up blades for $5-10 per 100 anymore! :lol:

A regional razor online store and a regional smartphone online store were specially opened. There are more razors than smartphones. This is the success of the gentlemen.

The proof that DE shaving imaking a comeback is the preponderance of artisan soap companies springing up all over the world. Stirling alone is doing well enough that they've built bigger US facilities for manufacturing and distribution.

Define comeback….Seems a niche that may be limited in growth as I find DE wet shaving a hard sell to younger folks- and even harder sell for straight razors. Two reasons a hard sell- it takes time and many younger folks at least feel pressed for time, and they can’t harken back to earlier barbershop days or Dad shaving the way older folks can. Also, the savings over cartridge argument is probably weakening as the various shave clubs disrupt the market and the wet shaving hobby gets more expensive- so many nice wet shave products to tempt us. Some chance that younger folks will be attracted if the marketers make an environmental argument - less waste. Really hope I am wrong, but wetshaving may “age-out”. A grim assessment but one that reinforces my commitment to enjoy it each shave and to take another run at converting my son-in-law this Thanksgiving.

Reactions: Anu
We all know Coke and Pepsi, even though there are a couple more in certain regions. Beer used to be that way and to some extent still is. America was and largely still is the home to the most well known mega corps around. It's hard to get your head around the limited controlled choices that existed post war up until recently.
So maybe I am making a case for soap makers, but if enough people like something niche enough there is a chance of it becoming parallel to main stream. Enough market to support many small and medium companies with sustainable growth if they are smart about it.
I think this hits the nail on the head. There are plenty of examples of craft/artisan products gaining significant market share in the last couple of decades. Craft beer. Coffee. Ice cream. Probably more, that's just off the top of my head. I could see that happening with shaving supplies, particularly soap, and maybe it already is.

Problem is, that's just soap. You can use a good shaving soap with a 5-blade cartridge system. (You can, right? I discovered DEs first, so I never tried...) So DE blade sales can still drop even as artisan soap makes spring up. I think the best analogy for DE razors is vinyl, which someone already mentioned. There are those who argue that vinyl sounds better, but the convenience of CDs, then MP3s, and now streaming keeps vinyl as a niche market, even if has slowly trended upwards after bottoming out when CDs became popular.

I would definitely argue that a DE gives a better shave than a cart, but cartridges delivered to your door and too convenient, easy to use, and just don't give a bad enough shave for most people to justify the trouble of learning to shave with a DE. Some will be swayed by a better shave, cost savings, and/or sustainability, but the article I cited earlier in the thread still clearly shows a continued downward trend, at least in the short-term.

On other hand we're also guilty for that as well, because if you think about it when a new DE razor is introduced, lots of people are buying it and they forget about the old ones pretty quickly. The same goes for blades, brushes, soaps etc. It almost feels like playing a video game and you change your gear and weapons and throw the old and weak ones and use the new better ones. I still remember when the Razorock Game Changer was introduced and lots of people were super hyped and almost everyone who had it was loving it and all of that, but right now you can barely see anyone using it on the ''what razor/blade did you use today'' forum.

We just like the latest and newest toy more than the old one regardless of which one is the better one.
And that has been going on since the Kampfe Brothers released the first single edge safety razor in the 1880’s and Gillette with the first double edge about 20 years later. Probably one of the most obvious examples of this was the Gillette Red and Blue Tip Super Speeds. In 1955 Gillette decided that the standard Super Speed was too much razor for guys with light beards and not enough razor for those with heavy beards, but was perfect for guys with “regular” beards so they introduced the kinder and gentler Blue Tip and the He-Man Red Tip models. How many guys fell for the gimmickry and ran to the nearest drugstore as fast as they could to get the “best” razor for their perceived beard type?

Then, what does Gillette do three or so years later? They scrap the Red and Blue Tips for the much better one size fits all 195 adjustable so once again men had to toss out their inferior razors and replace them with the newest
”best” razor. And as we all know, the 195 was replaced a few years later by the “better” Slim adjustable which was of course replaced by the “better” Super-109 and Super-84 so the cycle was repeated over and over.

Last edited:
Top Bottom