What's new

How Much Aftershave Should Be Applied?

I use just enough to cover my face and neck. As to how much that it, I don't know how to measure that. Someone's mentioned "about a penny" in diameter in the palm, and that's about what I use. I rub both hands together, and apply it to both sides of my face and neck at the same time. It's enough that it has to dry, but not so much that it's running every which away. Essentially I'm applying alcohol to a light abrasion, and that's how I treat it.

I fill my cupped palm, then splash it on! (More than a few drops, less than a cup.) :a14::a14:
^^This right here... Anyone that thinks 3-4 drops or a penny size application can cover their entire face is, IMO, fooling themselves!! That is unless you are only shaving to trim up a beard line top and bottom...

Otherwise...
proxy.php

I tend to be somewhere in between. I’ve got a Stirling sample that I can’t get enough of and tend to lay it on rather heavily. But I also like to run my hands through my hair after applying to my face to spread the smell around a bit.

More often then not, Winston (my dog) gets a vigorous head rub too after ward and the wife loves a snuggle with the bub that smells like me!

We’re dog people if you couldn’t tell...

I tend to use lots. It's for my benefit and enjoyment.
At least five shots from a small spray bottle. Three directly on my neck, and two shot on my left hand for rubbing onto my cheeks. (The face cheeks, that is.)
I don't rub my hands together first because that wastes about 1/3 of it.

Sometimes I'll dab a drop or three on my chin just before I go to bed.
I have never seen Skin Bracer in a spray bottle before. That is cool.

For me the amount I apply depends on two things: the strength of its scent, and the type of moisturizer it contains. If it's strongly scented, three or four drops are sufficient. If it's scented lightly, I can use six or eight. If its only moisturizer is glycerin, I can use more. If it's castor oil, I have to spread it thinly to avoid a greasy feel (I wet my face first, then apply three or four drops).

Last edited:
^^This right here... Anyone that thinks 3-4 drops or a penny size application can cover their entire face is, IMO, fooling themselves!! That is unless you are only shaving to trim up a beard line top and bottom...

Otherwise...
proxy.php

It's enough that I have to let my face dry afterward.

SWAG time: A penny is 3/4 of an inch in diameter. That's 1.905 cm. For SWAG purposes, let's call it 2 cm, and assume it's half a sphere: (pi x 4r^3)/(3 x 2) = (pi * 2r^3)/3. That works out to about 2.09 cc = 2.09 ml. Let's call it 2 ml.

Dime: 1.5 ml
Penny: 2 ml
Nickel: 2 ml
Quarter: 3.6 ml

The SWAG probably starts to break down above penny/nickel sized, and quarter is pressing it. It just gives us a rough idea of how much we're talking about.

Otherwise...
proxy.php

I might be getting away with 4-5 drops because I wear goatee!!

I have never seen Skin Bracer in a spray bottle before. That is cool.
I bought the empty spray bottle, peeled off the MSB label and stuck it on the sprayer, then covered it with packing tape.
It comes off the original empty bottle easier if you fill it with hot water to soften the adhesive.
I have similar ones for Old Spice (snipped from the cardboard box), Pinaud Clubman, Proraso Red, and Brut.

I probably offend co-workers with an overdose of Barbasol menthol AS...but I make up for it by microwaving day old fish in the communal break room.

I've purchased almost all of RazoRock's aftershaves. Some are as durable as EDTs and three drops last all day. Others require more product and only last an hour or two.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I use as much as I feel like. Mostly I use spray cologne so I give between 3 to 5 sprays on my chest depending on the strength of the cologne. Proper aftershaves I use a good amount, I don’t measure, just put some in my hand, rub both hands and wipe my face.

It's enough that I have to let my face dry afterward.

SWAG time: A penny is 3/4 of an inch in diameter. That's 1.905 cm. For SWAG purposes, let's call it 2 cm, and assume it's half a sphere: (pi x 4r^3)/(3 x 2) = (pi * 2r^3)/3. That works out to about 2.09 cc = 2.09 ml. Let's call it 2 ml.

Dime: 1.5 ml
Penny: 2 ml
Nickel: 2 ml
Quarter: 3.6 ml

The SWAG probably starts to break down above penny/nickel sized, and quarter is pressing it. It just gives us a rough idea of how much we're talking about.
WOW... I didn't realize we were looking at quite that scientifically!! :a7:

Top Bottom