What's new

How Mild is the Timeless Razor .68 OC

No interest in a Timeless handle? They are nicely done, I got their stand as well and it looks awesome sitting next to my sink, teases me everytime I go in there.

so are you still going to try to get on that elusive wolfman list ? I'm not sure I'm going to bother anymore... I'm liking this razor too much! In fact I thought I'd give my skin a days break since I've shaved everyday since I got this razor and I really missed it today! Not just the razor but the whole deal, the way good soap leaves my skin feeling soft and the whole shaving process.

once I get past the hunny moon stage with midnight and two, I want to try sudsy soapery, Midnight and Two has benched all my soaps, I've been giving away my B&M and going to send out some of my CRSW to family, cause I'm just not going to use it now.

Last edited:
I'll likely pick up a Timeless handle to try at some point but figured I'd rather try the other plate first. I have several nice handles to choose from so it's not really a necessity for me. I don't own any stands as I have my razors laying on a nice metal tray. I'm not sure the stands would save me any room and they might even make things less organized for me. Then again I may try one at some point.

As far as the Wolfman list goes I'll likely still try to get on it for the hell of it but I won't actively seek out a razor to pay inflated aftermarket prices for. I'm not going to get stressed out about it but I'll put my name in the hat and see what happens. I have an OC Wolfman but I'd like to try the SB version as well. Only because I really like the LA Shaving razor that I own so I want to see how they compare. I do suspect that I'll like the Timeless better. So, if I get on the list I'd likely purchase one but if I don't I'm certainly happy with what I have. At times I'm tempted to let go of the Wolfman I have but it is cool to own it and with the demand for these I wouldn't get another one without paying dearly for it. If I did buy one from the list I could easily recoup my money from someone else here in about 5 seconds if it turned out that I didn't like it. I'm not one to try and cash out and profit on things like this so someone would likely get a really good deal and be pretty happy with me.

As far as giving my skin a break from this razor I don't suspect that's necessary at all. Considering how smooth this Timeless razor is and how my face feels afterward I don't know how it would be possible to actually need a break from it at all.

The Sudsy Soapery is my second favorite soap only bested for me by the $65 PannaCrema Nuavia. I find both of these soaps to be exceptional in every way. Midnight & Two is up there for me as well (in my top 5) but I don't like it as much as Sudsy Soapery. The CRSW new formula soaps are really nice soaps as well. The B&M new Glissant formula is said to be excellent also. So those shouldn't be slouches by any means. I think once you try Sudsy Soapery it'll have a solid place in your shave den.

So I've got two shaves in with the Timeless .95 SB plate as well as about five on the Timeless .68 SB plate. So enough to give them a fair comparison and have a decent understanding on how they differ.

The .68 is definitely mild, in fact the mildest razor I own. The shave is exceptionally comfortable while still being very efficient and giving me a perfect BBS shave. There is one area on the right side of my neck directly under my jawline that does give me a little trouble and requires a slight amount of touch up but that is the only area that this razor has even the slightest bit of difficulty and something that is easily handles with a small effort. Where this razor really stands out is in the area of comfort. I do feel the blade slightly but as far as how my face feels after the shave it couldn't feel any better. It feels almost as if I completed the shave without putting a blade in the razor. Additional touch up even in that one area feels great and I finish the shave with my face feeling dolphin smooth and more comfortable than it has after any shave I've experienced. This razor is exceptional and certainly challenging for my top spot.

With the .95 I do feel the blade a bit more. The gap is much larger and while this razor is still very comfortable to shave with it's not as comfortable as the .64 which I suppose it to be expected. It is more comfortable to shave with than the ATT R series razors as I find it slightly less aggressive while still being just as efficient. I'm getting a shave that I could stop and be happy with after the second pass and the third pass is yielding perfect results with minimal to no touch up needed. The angle needed is very similar to the .68 so the learning curve with this razor was very minor. Like the .68 it benefits greatly with a heavier handle as the cap and base plate are substantial. Built quality is perfection. My current preference is for the .68 plate as it's impressed me more than any other razor I've tried recently. If I had tried this one first I'd be thrilled with it and likely wouldn't feel as though I'm missing out on anything since this razor is outstanding as well. I do prefer it over the ATT razors and Wolfman OC razor that I own as the shave is more comfortable with the same effort and efficiency.

I still do enjoy my BBS-1 razor and need to do some more comparisons between the Timeless and BBS-1 before deciding which one deserves which spot. As for now I'm not in a bad spot in having these razors to choose from and there will be lots of enjoyable shaves in getting to the answer.

That being said both of these Timeless razors are exceptional and I'm happy that I own both. I do see myself reaching for the more aggressive version as well as the less aggressive version depending on how much time I want to spend shaving and maybe what day of the week it is. I am curious about the OC and Scalloped plates, especially the OC plates, and suspect that in time I'll be trying those as well.

Thanks for the reviews. I think the .68 might be exactly what I am looking for. Now to decide between the OC and SB

Thanks for the reviews. I think the .68 might be exactly what I am looking for. Now to decide between the OC and SB

It's my pleasure, but unfortunately I can't help you much more. I tend to prefer SB razors but this OC is said to lack the scratchy feeling that a lot of OC razors have because of the rough edges. These edges are apparently smoothed out to the point where the razor is very smooth to the touch. I might pick the OC plate up, but with other purchases, it'll likely be a couple months away before I do so.

I have an OC .68 head that I've recently acquired. Please understand that this is not a mild razor. I think the only reason the term mild is being used here, is because the first version was more aggressive.

To give you an idea, I use the Rockwell 6S razor comfortably with the 5 and 6 plate. I think the Timeless .68 bases are of similar aggression that. In fact, I just sold my Rockwell because I like the Timeless so much.

Regarding the Open Comb, I really like it and was hoping it would be the more aggressive of the .68 bases. But I don't have another to compare to. I regularly shave with different version of English News, so am used to open combs.

I use a "Gillette Slide" across my jaw line, whereby the combs are actually slanted as I stroke. I have no trouble with the Timeless OC. In comparison, I had an Ikon 102 that had very precise machining on the combs that caused them to be a bit sharp and harsh on my skin.

Maybe we differ on the way the term mild is used. I consider this a mild razor in terms of the comfort of the shave. Maybe my definition is off, but for me mild is more of how the razor feels during the shave as opposed to how it cuts. Mild is a good thing in this case as this is the most comfortable razor that I own to shave with.

I suspect that the point above is that mild in no way means inefficient as these razors are far from that. There is some blade feel, even with the .68, and I do like that as it certainly helps me to find the proper position and use the feedback the razor gives me. The minor blade feel is in no way uncomfortable or harsh in any way as it can be with more aggressive razors. I feel like I can do ten passes with no irritation.

So I'd call this one mild but efficient, which is a truly outstanding combination.

The beauty in this razor is the comfort and efficiency in which it gives me a perfect bbs shave.

[MENTION=73656]dfoulk[/MENTION],
Great info, I appreciate your opinion and feedback. What blades do you favor in your Timeless razors?

Cheers
Mike

@dfoulk,
Great info, I appreciate your opinion and feedback. What blades do you favor in your Timeless razors?

Cheers
Mike

I've only tried Feather, Astra SP and PolSilver SI blades in it so far and all have performed excellent. I usually use Feather blades but at the request several posts above I gave the Astra's a go. I couldn't tell the difference between those and the Feather blades in this razor. The PolSilver blade I tried after the Astra and so far I have a few shaves on and it's working great. I'll likely try a few more blades (7 O'Clock Yellow, 7 O'Clock Black, Gillette Silver Blue) but I'm expecting them to perform just as well.

So I've got two shaves in with the Timeless .95 SB plate as well as about five on the Timeless .68 SB plate. So enough to give them a fair comparison and have a decent understanding on how they differ.

dfoulk: If you go a few days or longer between shaves, do you see yourself using the .95 for your first, wtg pass - to mow down the long hairs, then follow-up with the .68 for all remaining passes? I'm thinking that if I get both gaps, I might use them in this fashion. Then for everyday shaves, the .68 might be the only razor needed. Anyway, your thoughts appreciated. Thanks for you reviews btw. They give me and others a clearer picture on these heads.

dfoulk: If you go a few days or longer between shaves, do you see yourself using the .95 for your first, wtg pass - to mow down the long hairs, then follow-up with the .68 for all remaining passes? I'm thinking that if I get both gaps, I might use them in this fashion. Then for everyday shaves, the .68 might be the only razor needed. Anyway, your thoughts appreciated. Thanks for you reviews btw. They give me and others a clearer picture on these heads.

While some do exactly what you are describing, I don't generally use a mixture of razors for the same shave unless I'm trying to compare them for a review or something like that. I likely avoid this because I take apart and wipe down my razor after every shave and I'm too lazy to do it for two razors instead of one. I also rarely go several days without a shave as I enjoy the process and prefer to shave daily.

I find that I can get a really close shave from the .68 just as I can from the .95. So which one I pick is just a preference since the three passes will clear a few days growth just as well as they will clear one day's. I guess what I'm getting at is that you don't really need more than one razor. That being said I do have several nice razors and enjoy using different ones just to mix things up.

In having both myself I might reach for the .95 with a few day's growth and the .68 as a daily razor though I'd likely complete the shave at hand using only one razor.

As I understood right , Timeless OC .68 mm a little bit less agressive than Wolfman OC standard blade gap.

I'd say the .68 is a good deal less aggressive then the Wolfman OC. I have both and the Wolfman is definitely less comfortable to shave with. Both do a great job but the Wolfman it a rougher shave, however it is also a bit more efficient. I'd put the Wolfman more in line with the Timeless .95 than the Timeless .68.

A few Timeless pics
proxy.php
proxy.php

Great pictures! I have the Timeless .68 and .95 both in matte finish with pineapple handles. That last picture makes me want a polished Timeless with THAT handle!

Top Bottom