What's new

How many tries do you give a restaurant ?

It depends. If it's rude service, I won't be back. If the food is just a little off, I'll give them another try. But if it's something like raw food, then I'm done there.

OTOH, there was a restaurant where I found a bug in something in the salad bar. I whispered the problem to a waitress, she checked it out, and immediately pulled the item. I went back to that one.

Unless it's a place I've been to before and has been good in the past, one. I won't come back for either ****ty food or ****ty service.

I was going to say that I am a one trial kind of guy. There are just too many good restaurants where I am to bother. But I am reminded that we went to a restaurant that had gotten good reviews, both published and from our friends, and really had a bad time with the food and service. (It was sort of crazy. One of our companions ordered a call brand martini with a twist, and they served him a dirty martini with a twist. The dishes seemed interesting, but just off.) My wife emailed the restaurant complaining quite slightly, more to just let the owners know whatever was going on that evening seemed to be off than for any other reason. They emailed back big apologies and a $200 gift certificate. Next time around was excellent all around. We did not give them any special warning or anything, and did not reveal the gift certificate until the end of the meal. So I would say if a restaurant is getting good reviews like that, I would give it two tries anyway.

Another example would be that i got a nearly raw supposedly roast chicken at Le Diplomate in DC. I should have complained but didn't. And service was pretty rough, but the place was extremely crowded. But I did not really think anything of it in returning many times. Its reputation and popularity is just to much for me to consider that anything other than an anomaly. And it is a Stephen Starr restaurant. Knowing what I know now from living in Philly for a while, I would give any of his restaurants multiple chances, not that he has ever disappointed other than that one time. I would say the same about Jose Garces' restaurants. Also, Ellen Yin and Eli Kulp. And Michael Solomonov. Maybe Roberto Donna.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Another example would be that i got a nearly raw supposedly roast chicken at Le Diplomate in DC.

I am reminded of one of my favourite "Ouch-isms" about not needing to state the blazingly obvious:

"Excuse me, waiter. I know I didn't mention this when ordering, but ... I was rather expecting my Chicken Dinner to be, um, cooked."

And it is a Stephen Starr restaurant. Knowing what I know now from living in Philly for a while, I would give any of his restaurants multiple chances, not that he has ever disappointed other than that one time.

Key point.

One of the main factors affecting whether or not one gives a restaurant a second chance is the background/supporting information (if any) about the restaurant/owner/chef.

If I go to a NY Yankees game and see a fat batter strike out repeatedly, I'll probably conclude he's not a very good batter. But if I see the "3" on his back and know it's Babe Ruth, I'll probably buy a ticket for the next game too.

Two but many only one. I can overlook just good food with outstanding service but not outstanding food with subpar service.

One strike and you are out. There are many factors that go into rating a restaurant -- quality of food, quality of service, atmosphere, quality and volume of music, etc. Truthfully, we don't eat out much anymore. We prefer to prepare a meal at home and enjoy it together in a nice atmosphere.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Two, unless 1 of two things: I get food poisoning or the d iui bing room is filthy. If the dining room us filthy, the kitchen is a disaster. Then its 1 and done.

Twice, unless I become ill on the first visit, then it is once. If a place can't impress me in two tries, they never see me again.

I am reminded of one of my favourite "Ouch-isms" about not needing to state the blazingly obvious:

"Excuse me, waiter. I know I didn't mention this when ordering, but ... I was rather expecting my Chicken Dinner to be, um, cooked."

Good line! I hope I never need it again!

For me, any restaurant or bar better dang well be extraordinary for me to go there! I can pretty much cook any food and make almost any drink out there with some trial and error.

1 single bad visit/experience? Blacklisted forever. For what they charge, they should all be extraordinary. Problem is most people are too lazy to pick up a book, take some notes, and go shopping.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
For me, any restaurant or bar better dang well be extraordinary for me to go there! I can pretty much cook any food and make almost any drink out there with some trial and error.

1 single bad visit/experience? Blacklisted forever. For what they charge, they should all be extraordinary. Problem is most people are too lazy to pick up a book, take some notes, and go shopping.
Well said.

Too bad I suck at making steak!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
For me, I normally give a restaurant two tries max. A restauraneur friend once told me that if a person visits his restaurant more than twice within 12 months, they are a good regular. With so many to choose from, he is right.

I can cook anything too, but I like restaurants that come up with unique combinations of flavors and textures and can plate them well.

Hi guys, thanks for this topic. Since I am a restaurant Manager and a frequent visitor to other restaurants (I like to see how other restaurant work), it is very important for me to know how customers feel about restaurants in General (especially if these restaurants do not meet their expectations). One day when we had a problem with commercial refrigerators we decided to introduce a new policy regarding the restaurant and the whole team. However the site helped me a lot ianboer.com.au from which I ordered a lot of useful equipment that made our restaurant more authoritative.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Since I am a restaurant Manager and a frequent visitor to other restaurants (I like to see how other restaurant work), it is very important for me to know how customers feel about restaurants in General (especially if these restaurants do not meet their expectations).

You may get a kick out of this one ...

Top Bottom