What's new

How many traditional wet shaves do you have under your belt?

How many traditional wet shaves have you undertaken?

• Less than 100

• Between 100 and 1000

• Between 1000 and 3000

• Between 3000 and 6000

• Between 6000 and 10000

• More than 10000

Results are only viewable after voting.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have been wet shaving for my entire life since the age of 17 (now I'm 36), almost on daily basis. This translates into about 7000 or 7K DE/straight shaves. :straight:

And you? Please participate at the poll in this thread and feel free to add comments. :001_smile

No idea.

I am almost 46 now, and I started wetshaving when I was about 15 or 16 (can't really remember).

Back then I just called it "shaving" ... I cannot remember that canned foam was very much present in the Dutch shops at that time. Most people here still used brush and soap in the 1980's, I think.

So ... about 11.000 shaves? I think 90% of them with an Omega boar brush, and "De Vergulde Hand" shaving soap.

(I started with a GII razor, and mostly stayed there, despite all "new and improved" cartridge razors in the shops ... I am still convinced that newer is not better, in this case).

Last edited:
I am coming up on 1 full year in a week or so. So shaving about every other day puts me around 175 shaves. About 12 of those would be straight razor shaves.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
less than 1,000 I'd say. Been doing this 2 years maybe 3. But during that time I've grown a beard, and skip days, sometimes I don't shave for a week. Haven't shaved since October 13'.

Maybe less than 600.

I have been shaving for 45 years, so I probably used some of the vintage stuff when it was new (adjustable injectors, and that awful band razor they were handing out for free at a teenage fair in the 1960s). Then on to cartridges and canned gel. There were a few experiments with SW (brush and soap, shave oil), and HW(electric, more and fewer blades per cartridge, disposables). But, I probably only have ~150 shaves since I fell down the B&B rabbit hole and started to enjoy shaving.

Let's see.....

Started shaving in the early 60's....

Couple of 10 year "beard breaks"....

I think I need a bigger number choice...

Oh well :sad:

Been DE shaving since I started (~30 years ago), but I had some periods of electic use. I've never shaved with anything but DE and electric prior to B&B. I never did the cart thing. If I assume 85% are DE shaves, and a few missed shaves here and there, I'm at around 9000-ish DE/SE/Straight shaves. The single edge and straight shaves are only in the last couple of years though. It was all DE before that.

Last edited:
In terms of wet shaving, been doing it since 1977. So 37 years. I've never used an electric shaver. I've grown a beard off and on, but they never lasted more than six months. Counting the days I've skipped and beards together is probably two years total, so that 35 years of wet shaving. All but three months of those years have been with cartridge and canned goo. In 98 I tried a SR for two months, but cut my throat and face too much and my hand shakes too much. But this last month of exclusive DE has been the best month ever. Why did I wait so long?

Thanks Marco for a great thread.

I've been wetshaving for a while, but with canned gel. If I only count the shaves I've done with a soap and brush, I think around the 100 mark. I'm planning on adding many more though ;)

Traditional wet shaves from when I began shaving in 1968 for about 10 - 12 years, (approximately 200 shaves per year) and for the last 3 months since returning to traditional DE shaving from cartridges. Estimated 2500 give or take.
1st set-up was Gillette Knack razor and blades and Old Spice shave soap, mug and brush (boar). Total cost less than $10.00!

Been shaving for 12 years at an average of every third day so about 1450 shaves

wet shaving the last year at a rate of every other day...so maybe ~180

I'm two months shy of 68 and have been shaving nearly daily since 1960. First with a Schick injector (given to me by my father), then with a Gillette Slim (I lusted for six years for a Gillette adjustable) from January of 1966 until this past summer when I discovered B&B, and, simultaneously, that I needed so many more razors! I was in France for a month in the fall and took my old Slim with me (along with some Personna Reds, and bought some Gillette Bleue Extras while I was there - so fine, so fine), but, sadly, first a 1958 Gillette Fatboy and then a whole clutch of Gillette News have stolen my heart. Oh, and the stainless steel handles, and the custom handles...

For almost my entire shaving life prior to B&B I used Made-in-England Wilkinson Swords - now I have hundreds of Feathers, Personna Med Preps, Personna Reds, Polsilver Super Iridiums, and the remainder of a stash of NOS Wilki's: yes, hundreds, and did I mention I was almost 68?

My sig line says 14 razors, but it is now 15 - and don't ask about the brushes!

I'm two months shy of 68 and have been shaving nearly daily since 1960. First with a Schick injector (given to me by my father), then with a Gillette Slim (I lusted for six years for a Gillette adjustable) from January of 1966 until this past summer when I discovered B&B, and, simultaneously, that I needed so many more razors! I was in France for a month in the fall and took my old Slim with me (along with some Personna Reds, and bought some Gillette Bleue Extras while I was there - so fine, so fine), but, sadly, first a 1958 Gillette Fatboy and then a whole clutch of Gillette News have stolen my heart. Oh, and the stainless steel handles, and the custom handles...

For almost my entire shaving life prior to B&B I used Made-in-England Wilkinson Swords - now I have hundreds of Feathers, Personna Med Preps, Personna Reds, Polsilver Super Iridiums, and the remainder of a stash of NOS Wilki's: yes, hundreds, and did I mention I was almost 68?

My sig line says 14 razors, but it is now 15 - and don't ask about the brushes!

Top Bottom