What's new

How many times a day can you moisturize?

I especially wonder this for the guys with dry skin. If you put on moisturizer (or use balm) after shaving and after washing your face or showering, that's 2 times a day. If you take more than one shower and wash your face again (after a workout, for example), that's probably a 3rd time. So...how much is too much?

some people say that if you moisturize too much, your skin will be dryer. Others say your skin is dry all the time because you don't moisturize enough. Me, I slap on a balm after I shave and I'm good for the day. I also use a Kiss My Face bar when I shower.

My wife lotions all the time and always complains her skin is dry. I never use a lotion and my skin is never dry. so maybe there's some truth to over moisturizing making your skin dry. or maybe its just your skin type.

I'd imagine if your skin starts to feel greasy during the day, you've probably overdone it.

After I shave and before I retire in the evening. The healing properties make the next day's shave so much better, IMO.

You really only need to moisturize twice a day. In the morning after you wash up/shave and in the evening before you head off to bed. As always watch your ingredients.

If you're prone to break-outs you might want to avoid Cocoa Butter....

I use moisturizer every time when I take shower or bath..I have a dry skin and so it needs moisture..I wash face two times in a day,so I use moisturizer two times..One in a day and one while going to bed...

I use moisturizer every time when I take shower or bath..I have a dry skin and so it needs moisture..I wash face two times in a day,so I use moisturizer two times..One in a day and one while going to bed...

Sounds like the situation I'm in. Do you sometimes use one after shaving, too, or do you have a post-shower shaving routine?

i read recently that you can moisturize as often as you like but i don't know how valid this is. i generally do 2x, morning and night. i guess i don't do it more because it's not like i carry it with me during the day but i guess if i was home i'd probably moisturize mid-day as well but i'm not programmed to do this even the days i'm off.

I suppose you could but I think at some point your skin is going to become over-saturated which would lead to its own set of problems. More is not always better.

about every week or so for me.... I tend to use lanolin or lanolin based moisturizers. they're powerful enough that they really do last a week for me, but YMMV, obviously.

Well if you have oily skin than you should wash your face atleast 4 times in a day,as it can remove excess oil from the face..But if you have dry skin than you can wash twice in a day,it is enough for it..As water removes excess oil from oily skin and gives dry texture..

Be careful not to start stripping all the oils from your face or you are going to multiply your problem. The more you strip the oils off your skin, the more oil your skin is going to create. Oily skin actually needs to be dealt with by a gentle hand so you don't aggravate the condition. Believe it or not the OCM is going to be your best bet but you're going to increase the castor oil content to 35% of the oils and then the other one should be something like grapeseed. Castor oil is a drying oil, but it won't strip your skin.

Be careful not to start stripping all the oils from your face or you are going to multiply your problem. The more you strip the oils off your skin, the more oil your skin is going to create. Oily skin actually needs to be dealt with by a gentle hand so you don't aggravate the condition. Believe it or not the OCM is going to be your best bet but you're going to increase the castor oil content to 35% of the oils and then the other one should be something like grapeseed. Castor oil is a drying oil, but it won't strip your skin.

What he said.

I think as a general rule of thumb you are always supposed to moisturize after you get out of the shower and start the day; preferably an SPF based moisturizer.. and at night before you sleep (i keep a separate moisturizer without SPF). I don't think you can over moisturize, but what you can do is pick up something to help "recharge" your skin at critical points of the day (i.e afternoon). I use something like zIRH's total recharge, it's actually very expensive so you might want to find something cheaper before you commit, but it does help keep my skin looking good.

I often work nights. And my skin likes a dewy sheen. Thus I tend to use a heavier moisturizer, even night creams, and sometimes a serum or sealer on top.

Top Bottom