What's new

How many ties does a guy need?

I start student teaching today. The school where I'll be teaching doesn't have air conditioning, and we are in the middle of a heat emergency (highs are in the mid 90s; Heat index hovering right around 100).

I was told by the powers that be that I have to dress at least business casual, so today it will be navy with a gray polo.

But eventually I'll be in a blazer, oxford and a tie.

How many times should I have. The last time I wore a tie was for a job interview a year ago in April and it was my dad's.

I ordered this tie/hankie set grin Amazon. In addition i purchased a blue checked shirt with a navy blue tie with tiny dots. So I have four.

I have a gray and navy blazer and my folks bought me a brown corduroy blazer with the elbow patches (think 1970s English professor).

Now I have four ties which i just intend to rotate when it cools down enough to wear a blazer and tie. I refuse to wear a tie without a blazer because that screams Fridays waiter.

So how many ties do I need?View attachment 1311017
If I worked in a business causal environment, Id probably have at least 5 ties. I only have a couple ties but the limits of my tie wearing is weddings and funerals.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
One.
If you wear the same tie every day people will not assume it's the same tie, they'll assume you like that color.
Ok, that's "need".
Advised?
A dozen to have a decent rotation.
If you only wear two or three different ties, people WILL notice the lack of rotation.

No.

Two: a black one for funerals, and a not-black one for not-funerals.

If your school has a " school tie" you could wear that every day no problem. Or the tie from your college. Or if you have a connection to a tartan. Or if you have a military connection as most units have a "regimental" or service tie.

If all else fails, a subtle and conservative tie with a low-key repeating pattern.

Best answer I’ve seen here is “1”. Moreover, I’d make it a plain color such as mid-blue so that it will go with more or less any shirt. A nice grenadine Garza grossa from John Henric would work well. It’s smart, works for almost any situation and once you have it you can forget about it and focus on your work. Ties, if required, should ideally be nearly invisible, unassuming, unmemorable and not interfere excessively with other activities. I’d make the knot small and unremarkable.

No amount, but they can accumulate quickly if you are not careful. Also, if you buy the tie/pocket square set, throw out the matching pocket squares. Those should never match the tie you are wearing. Also, you don't match a tie to a whole suit or jacket as noted above. Match it to your shirt. Good luck and stay cool!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I agree with matching it to the shirt, although I've always been a fan of diversity with shirts, and always had a choice of at least two ties which can be worn with each shirt. If I ever got a shirt that my existing ties didn't work well with, it was time for a new tie.

So if you're only ever wearing white shirts, the ties you have will be just fine. The more diverse your array of shirts, the more ties you'll need to compliment them.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Zero is the correct number. I used to have to wear a tie for years. It used to be every day at work starting in the late 80’s, and that frequency dwindled in the very early 2000’s. Then one day I started pondering what was the purpose of a tie anyway. Did it have some practical origin other than its fashion duties? I couldn’t find any compelling reason to continue wearing a tie. And I started to think about how they looked, how dangerous they could be getting caught In everything. I determined that ties were an antiquated ancient fashion ritual that had no place in my life. Right then and there I decided to never wear a tie again. And I haven’t for almost 20 years. Not for weddings, not for funerals. Certainly not for work. I have plenty of suits still. And they look great without a tie. Especially if you get a great shirt that doesn’t require a tie. I had dozens of ties, and kept them for a really long time. I think when we moved last year I donated them all. I am not trying to derail this thread or start an argument. Just stating my answer to the question asked, with my explanation of why I feel the way I do…

Quality ties are one of the few things that can be purchased at pennies on the dollar from thrift stores and ebay.
If I was a school teacher I would likely buy several ties that incorporated the school colors but were enough different that it was obvious I was not wearing the same tie.

Bottom line the answer is either three identical because you do not care that you wear the same color tie every day or essentially unlimited (20 ish min.)

Ties are like shaving gear -- addictive. I've never met any man who complained he had too many ties. What shoes are to women, ties are to men.

There is truth to this.

That said, I think I've put on a tie just once this past year and a half.

I start student teaching today.

So how many ties do I need?

All I can offer is: 'Apparently far fewer than I have.' I might have to change that. ...but that means trying to wear more suits... in Atlanta... during the four seasons of Summer... (I guess I didn't know how much better my life was in the SF Bay Area back then. ...didn't wear ties so much there either... )

Recent article in NYTimes and picked up by a few other outlets. Gist of the article is that covid has accelerated the trend towards more causal dressing on wall street. That ties are disappearing.

Doctors will probably be wearing them a lot less as well (ties in theory can carry fomites)

Lordy. Being an old guy in the financial biz, I have probably at least 5 dozen, and that's after clearing out several dozen last year. I literally never wear them now.

This old financial-biz guy moved recently and cleared out a few dozen. I kept about 10, although I too seldom wear one these days.

How big is your closet? As LOTH here has pointed out, ‘You have more ties than I have clothes!’
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Top Bottom