What's new

How many ties does a guy need?

I literally have hundreds. When my dad retired after 47 years practicing medicine, he gave me all of his. I've tried a couple of the early 70's ties that are nearly as wide as my head, and a few of the late 50's ties that barely cover the buttons on my shirt. Most are very serviceable, with a few being stunning. Plus I've been gifted a few over the years as a dad, and I've picked a few up in thrift shops (great source). Now I don't wear them anymore except for funerals. Somewhere between 5 to 8 years from now I'll be retiring and will avoid ties with all my might.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I start student teaching today. The school where I'll be teaching doesn't have air conditioning, and we are in the middle of a heat emergency (highs are in the mid 90s; Heat index hovering right around 100).

I was told by the powers that be that I have to dress at least business casual, so today it will be navy with a gray polo.

But eventually I'll be in a blazer, oxford and a tie.

How many times should I have. The last time I wore a tie was for a job interview a year ago in April and it was my dad's.

I ordered this tie/hankie set grin Amazon. In addition i purchased a blue checked shirt with a navy blue tie with tiny dots. So I have four.

I have a gray and navy blazer and my folks bought me a brown corduroy blazer with the elbow patches (think 1970s English professor).

Now I have four ties which i just intend to rotate when it cools down enough to wear a blazer and tie. I refuse to wear a tie without a blazer because that screams Fridays waiter.

So how many ties do I need?View attachment 1311017
I have worked with student teachers for years. I tell them they need a white shirt, a blue shirt, and perhaps a striped or patterned shirt. Then I tell them either to visit thrift shops or a place like Kohl's and buy as many ties as they can afford. A man can get away with only 3 or 4 shirts if he has enough ties.

I also tell these kids to wear a tie each day even if no one else in the school wears one. It makes the young teacher stand out. I've actually had kids get interviews and jobs because the principal recognized them as 'the student teacher who always wears a tie.'

A tie also creates distance between you and the high school students. If you are teaching a 12th grade class there's a good chance many of the students will only be 3 or even 2 years younger than you. A tie is like a speedbump to prevent students assuming unwanted familiarity.

Finally, the last advice I give to student teachers is to check your flies before each class. This advice was given to me by the late Fr John Whitney O'Sullivan, SJ, on the morning of my first day teaching way back in 1985. He told me that if I taught long enough I'd eventually teach a class with my fly open. I never forgot that advice, and I've checked my flies before each class ever since. Except for a day in March, 2015. I taught a class and was walking back across campus to my office and I stopped into a building to use the jacks on the street floor. I reached down to open my zipper and discovered... it was already down! I had just taught a class with my flies open. Fr O'Sullivan's prophetic words ('If you teach long enough you'll oneday teach a class with your flies open...') were finally realized, some 30+ years after he gave me the sage bit of wisdom.

So wear a tie, and check your fly.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I also tell these kids to wear a tie each day even if no one else in the school wears one. It makes the young teacher stand out. I've actually had kids get interviews and jobs because the principal recognized them as 'the student teacher who always wears a tie.'

A tie also creates distance between you and the high school students. If you are teaching a 12th grade class there's a good chance many of the students will only be 3 or even 2 years younger than you. A tie is like a speedbump to prevent students assuming unwanted familiarity.

Exceptionally good advice.

Finally, the last advice I give to student teachers is to check your flies before each class.

Indeed!

At least 7 ties. One for each workday and a couple extra for accidents and spills. At least one extra shirt and tie kept at the office.

I only need the one tie.

One Tie to rule them all, One Tie to find them. One Tie to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1629419211919.png

Top Bottom