What's new

How many ties do you own?

I must confess, I am shocked. I just did a tie count and I hit 28, not counting the couple I leave at work for those just-in-case situations. And three bow-ties. I often wonder, what are the essential ties to have in one's wardrobe? My essential ties are a knit navy, a fine silk navy, a grey silk and a couple of patterned ties...for whatever suits my outfit for the day. The rest I wear infrequently, but they are so nice I can't part with them. I could probably get by with 6. Okay...maybe 8.

I own a lot of ties. Back in the 90s, I had to wear a coat and tie for work, so I accumulated dozens of them. However, when my company was bought out, the culture in the new company was not to wear ties. Now I am retired. I probably only wear a tie 3-4 times per year. Yet I still have the ties hanging in the closet.

I have at least a couple dozen ties. However, I only wear about seven or eight of them on a regular basis.

Sent via Tapatalk

I have a lot. Used to have to wear a suit and tie every day for 25 years. The last 10 years I only wore a tie when I went into the NY office or had meetings with clients or traveled on company business. Now I’m working from home and only put on a suit when I head out for meetings which is not that often right now. I won’t be purging them until I retire and then I’ll just keep the ones I really like.

If and when I must go to a place where I must wear a tie, I'll ask the person who is forcing me to go to provide a tie.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Maybe 4. All silk. Haven't worn one since my mom's funeral in '11. Might wear one to my grand-niece's wedding in October. My friends who still work make up for my lack of ties.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I suppose the only essential tie in my wardrobe is my black uniform tie. It's funny; I used to hate wearing a tie. Other than the afore mentioned black one, I had two or three for church or whatever. But now I really enjoy wearing ties and like how ties complete an outfit, add a splash of color, and draw the eye to my face. I've slowly collected at least a couple dozen, mostly from thrift stores. Really nice ones, too. Thrifting ties is a great way to indulge champagne tastes on a beer bottle budget.

I suppose the only essential tie in my wardrobe is my black uniform tie. It's funny; I used to hate wearing a tie. Other than the afore mentioned black one, I had two or three for church or whatever. But now I really enjoy wearing ties and like how ties complete an outfit, add a splash of color, and draw the eye to my face. I've slowly collected at least a couple dozen, mostly from thrift stores. Really nice ones, too. Thrifting ties is a great way to indulge champagne tastes on a beer bottle budget.
My black military tie hangs with my dress blues now that I retired. I wouldn't have minded it so much if it were silk.

Sent via Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Far too many. Mine are mainly stored in a box in the cupboard. I used to have to wear one every day and I used to wear a different one every day, picture ones, colored ones, themed ones. Don't have to wear them at work anymore but I have not tossed them out yet. My mother gave me a heap of her fathers (my grandfathers) ties in a shopping bag and I have just tossed them in the cupboard. Way out of fashion, paisley ties etc. I couldn't toss them away because they were my grandfathers but I never wear them. No one wanted them so I finished up with them.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
A couple of dozens for me, with blue being the dominant colour, followed by brown, red and green. Usually, I like flat colours or micro patterns, never stripes. I also own 4 bow ties, but I only wear them with a smart casual outfit.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
About 60, but I rarely wear one any more - I'm retired now.

I wore a lot of colored shirts and often purchased a tie from the same manufacturer that had the exact color match somewhere in the tie. Most were on the cheaper side - probably averaged $35.

When my students did something I didn't like I would sometimes ask if it were their birthday. Quite a few of the girls would ask for a favorite shirt/tie combination to be worn on their actual birthday.

Hundreds, but that includes ties I bought just because they look cool and all of them I'll flip on eBay to pay for my tie addiction.

I love paisley ties. Especially nice ancient madder paisleys.

Hundreds. Some are completely out of fashion, others I've had long enough to have them go out and come back in fashion

I did a major purge of ties a couple of years ago or so and yet I seem to be back up to over 60. I wear a tie every day, now, though.

Too many to count! (Most likely in the hundreds!) I have worn a tie to work most all of my long career.

Roughly 50. At most I wear one once or twice a week anymore. Some of these were bought in the early 1990's. Others in the last year.

I remember the good ole days when I had to wear a suit everyday and had scads of ties. In the summer still had to wear a suit but could use a short sleeve shirt. Now that I'm retired I'm down to one Blue suit and one Red and Blue tie. One tie for weddings and other happy events; and then of course one for (ever increasing) occasions requiring solemnity.

Wear one pretty much every day
Like variety
Many different colors, patterns, stripes, and graphics
Thanks for asking .... always wondered but never bothered to count!

Top Bottom