What's new

How many ties do you own?

Probably a couple dozen. I hardly wear them anymore though. Work is a dress shirt without a tie for the past couple of years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have to attend a visitation tomorrow at a funeral home for a friend whose wife died of cancer. I will wear a navy blue blazer and tie, but it will be the first time I have worn either in six months.

My wife and I are trying to get rid of stuff we do not want to move when we relocate to Colorado next year. There will be very few ties that will make the trip with us. For someone who once wore a tie every day except Saturday, that is quite a change.

Maybe 30 - 40, not really counted. I wear one a couple of days a week - it's not really expected here due to the climate but I like them and every time I am in UK I buy at least one new one in M&S(!)

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I certainly had more than a hundred before retirement; now I'm down to about 20 or so. I almost never wear any, but it's reassuring to have them. The one I do wear--sadly--is a Purple Label Polo in black, with fine, dark purple stripes. It's my funeral tie.

The ties I most miss wearing are bows. Nothing quite a jaunty. Maybe I'll put one on one of these days--just for the upbeat feeling!

I have two. Bought one 3 years ago for a funeral, last month had to go to wedding and went into brook brothers and picked up a nice tie. They guy offered by one get one 1/2 off, I bought one only. They guy looked perplexed, but I felt like that would have been an over indulgence.

My wife laughed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just counted, it’s 234. Some are out of styles and should be given to Salvation Army. I usually do that every couple years.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My closet redesign folks tell me I have 99 ties. I wear a tie to work every day.

Made me think of this ...

proxy.php

I have two. Bought one 3 years ago for a funeral, last month had to go to wedding and went into brook brothers and picked up a nice tie. They guy offered by one get one 1/2 off, I bought one only. They guy looked perplexed, but I felt like that would have been an over indulgence.

My wife laughed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doin' it right.

At present I possess 17 ties. Most of them stay hanging in my closet. If I'm going out fancy, in recent years I nearly always wear a very dark slate-blue knitted silk tie, which matches nearly everything. Better would be a black one, but I wore out the one which I had bought in Harrods years ago. I'm in the market for a new one.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
“A well-tied tie is the first serious step in life.”

― Oscar Wilde
Check out the old Leslie Howard film of the Scarlet Pimpernel. He, as Charles Blakeny, does a great job of dismissing poorly tied cravattes.

I own too many too count and way more than a man in my position should own. I guess I’m waiting for the 1940’s to come back.

97B33711-A2A8-431F-8111-3982FF8CE0DB.jpeg

Top Bottom