What's new

How many ties do you own?

20 long ties in colors and patters, 6 long black ties and 8 black bow ties.

Being a classical bass trombone player there is a reason for all the black long ties and bow ties.

I keep 2 spare bow ties with the little clasp in my garment bag (someone always forgets theirs), I keep 1 bow tie you have to tie like James Bond in each of my three tuxedos, I have two spares that you have to tie in my closet because I only like the pronto uomo ones, and one in my glove compartment of my car.

I keep one long black tie in each of my three black suits, 2 in the garment bag (again because someone always forgets theres or brings a bow tie) and one in my glove compartment of my car.

3 regular ties.

dont know how many self tie bow ties I have.........a lot.

IMAG0399_1.jpg

one of the more unique diamond points I found locally a while back. diamond point Hilfiger with pocket square.

camo

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
How many ties? Let me count them.... zero. I don't feel disadvantaged. They look funny with a tshirt, anyway. All my shirts are tshirts.

Since I seldom wear a tie anymore, my girlfriend encouraged me to get rid of most of my ties. She was right - there's no sense in keeping something which you won't use. I donated them to a second hand shop. They had their time with me, and perhaps someone else will get some pleasure out of them. Out of 17 ties, I only kept four knitted silk ties and a black tie to go to funerals. My standard tie is a slate blue knitted silk one, which I wear to go to receptions, concerts, etc.

2 ties which i wear maybe once or twice a year...even that is to much....lol.

Guess you and I are in the minority.
I have 2.
If I'm wearing a tie, somebody is dead or getting married, or both:)

Slash McCoy
"How many ties? Let me count them.... zero. I don't feel disadvantaged. They look funny with a tshirt, anyway. All my shirts are tshirts."

95% of my shirts as well.

Own a few, rarely worn anymore.

However, I work firearm retail and the number of customers coming to see me wearing a tie, vest and flat cap is amazing, I see several a week. Asked a few, they just shrug and say they like the style.

None. Retired 10 years ago and got rid of them all. No need for a tie when your only shirts are flannels or pocket tees. I also no longer own a suit or pair of slacks and don't miss them.

So, I'm a physician and for the past 20 years have warn a tie daily to work. I have about 40. Some that I really like and get complimented on.

Now here's the interesting (maybe) part: It was realized several years back that ties probably are "fomites" (things that carry disease). In the past 6 months there was a culture change at my hospital. The MD/CEO and Senior Physician Leaders stopped wearing ties and the official dress code, though not forbidding them, recommended against them. Now almost everyone (myself included) go tieless.

I learned decades ago to buy shirts with a slightly large (for me) collar size and didn't mind wearing ties but there's really no good reason to and every reason not to.
Now I have a closet full that will get rare use.

I sport a tie on a very regular basis. I don't have to but love to be smartly dressed. I must have ~ 65 ties, most of which are vintage ones. I even have a number of bow ties. The right tie just brings an entire outfit together the way no other accessory can.

Top Bottom