• Hey Guest. We are currently doing lots and lots of work on the forum software. Please be patient while the kinks are worked out.

Thanks!

How many strops do you own?

How many strops do you own? New, vintage or home made. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Do you have a favourite?

Bout twenty . Tony Miller is used most and the kanayama llama is after the stones. Have a few good vintage horse . Oh and the Illinois linen is number one in my book.

I should say, I own 5. Three vintage and 2 moderns. My daily go-to is a 2.5 inch Buffalo. Waiting for one to be restored by a friend and when it arrives I will take a picture and post.

SliceOfLife

Contributor
6 right now. Probably had 20 or so total since I started. I generally don't hoard strops like I do most things (soap, razors, stones, brushes)... probably because they're hard to find in good vintage condition at reasonable prices. It happens, but often a nos or nearly vintage strop sells for MORE than a similar quality modern... and restoration can be a lot of work on slightly damaged ones, and people LOVE hiding serious damage with bad pictures on eBay. Just a really high risk, high work, low reward thing to collect in my experience.

That said, I've got a Dubl duck, a Pearl duck, a Freeman 588-x, a "Moose" shell, and an Ambrose and a Kanayama. First four are vintages.

I have two, one is a latigo that was my first strop still have it almost ten years on. Second is a kangaroo srp strop that I use all the time.

Tempted to grab a kanayama right now though.

Acmemfg

Contributor
Ambassador
Four.
Three by Tony Miller..Rough out, Steer-Dovan, Spanish bridle.
One Herold Russian Oil Tanned
All see a lot of duty but I seem to find the TM Rough out and Herold Russian in my hands most often

Currently have 4, 2 Vintage illinois strops 6452's,1 modern Illinois russian, and just got the one shown in the picture below (koken scotch shell). Im still working on conditioning the Koken slowly. Wish I could get the wave out of it tho.

Larry

9820FAFE-C09A-462A-A310-F07D386B2ED3.jpeg 660C02E0-F750-43C9-9583-D1E96B17DF44.jpeg

RumpleBearskin

Contributor
2 ¹/²

WCS Latigo (first strop, daily use for a year)
Tony Miller SteerDovan (my current daily use strop)
And a Thiers Issard block strop (8" or so) that I almost never use.

6 strops with thoughts of purchasing a seventh. I've found myself gravitating to the old 2-1/2" standard, so I don't use the first few 3" strops I picked up when I started 7 years ago.

Right now, my favorite alternates between a Pelican '0P' and a Tripoli Boar-hide.