What's new

How many straight razors you own?

I have two straight razors. My first was an Aust (6/8) and my other is a 7/8 Koraat that has a quarter hollow grind. For my beard, the quarter hollow grind works better.

Unlike many of the gents here, I am a minimalist. I have no interest is more straight razors or double edge razors. (I have 3 DEs).

However, I do enjoy variety by not using the same soap in the same week.

Does it ever stop? Just ordered a Heljestrand mk6, see post 33, this will be my 6th razor 3rd Heljestrand
Only started 4 months ago,,,hopefully slowing down and or stopping, and enjoy these amazing razors and edges,,,
This forum and all of you have pushed me down the hole , help[emoji3]

Does it ever stop? Just ordered a Heljestrand mk6, see post 33, this will be my 6th razor 3rd Heljestrand
Only started 4 months ago,,,hopefully slowing down and or stopping, and enjoy these amazing razors and edges,,,
The forum opens the door to a world of possibilities that you would have never know existed. Like a genie opening the door to a magical treasure cave. No one here can push you in though. Everyone that enters walks in of their owns free will. Some go deeper than others.

I had a Bokor Red Engine I got in a PIF, and PIF'd it away a few years later.
I gave it a chance, even got to where there was little or no touch up required...but it just wasn't for me. I may try it again, but no time soon.

While I am a minimalist (2 straights, 3 DEs), I really appreciate what a wonderful resource Badger and Blade is. Up until a year or so ago, I had not owned a straight razor. But by reading posts from members and reviews, I was able to quickly learn a lot about which brands were highly respected. (I have an Aust and Koraat straight).

What got me interested in straight razors are two things: I am trying to learn new things as I get older to keep my mind sharp and a couple years ago, I learned to sharpen kitchen knives on sharpening stones. (A very helpful skill!) When I found out that straight razors are sharpened on the same type of whetstones as kitchen knives, I thought “I could do that!”. Therefore, a straight razor was the next logical step!

The more relevant question is how MUCH do I have (invested). Let me put it this way, I own mostly custom razors, quite a few damascus. Easily 5 figures worth.

You might need rehabilitation, you have contracted a bad case of SRAD!

1. H Sohne Heartring
  2. Wester Bros Anchor Brand
  3. ERN Crown & sword Solingen
  4. Torrey
  5. Henckels
  6. The MAB
  7. Top Flight Burrell Cutlery
  8. Geneva Cutlery Corp Pyramid
  9. SR Droescher No79
  10. FW Engels Special Hansel and Gretel
  11. Runkfunk Paul losenbeck bohlerstahl
  12. Kakaime Sheffield
All 5-40$ each, most rusty before saving them. Trying not to overlap makers, to keep acquisition syndrome in check.... I would love to add a case, king, boker, dovo, dubl duck, wedge and a japanese kamisori if i find them at right price...

Two Iwasaki Kamisori
One Feather AC SS Japanese Style
One Feather AC DX Special Teak
One Kai Captain Excelia J-Style
One Kai Captain Excelia folding

I keep telling myself "that's enough". I mean, how many razors can you need, right? Right?

I have enough straights... for now. When I first started I got a reasonable one from the bay and didn't want to ruin it with bad honing, so bid on two more hoping to win one to use as a beater. Then went on a bit of a binge and made silly, but realistic bids on many other razors but only won a few.

I have 8 that are in regular rotation and 2 that I only use occasionally. I also have 3 GDs that I will get around to working on at some point. My last razor was 50 SEK (€5ish) and came with a paddle strop. The razor is in bad condition, so I haven't included that one.

I'm a true minimalist.

In my straight razor room there's the two display cabinets with razors organised after brand, region of production and age. The straight razors that I one day might sell is stored in the large wardrobe in the same room. Then there's the large drawer in my workshop where I keep all the straight razors that are waiting to be restored. I honestly don't know how many there are but hopefully no more than 200. They are all carefully selected over the years too.

The collection of Gillette pre WWII DE razors are in a display cabinet in the basement. I really like the look of the Gillette ABC razors

Yes, you call call me The True Minimalist.

20210424_221651.jpg
20210424_221739.jpg

Top Bottom