What's new

How Many Soaps?

I've kind of lost track of the total number. It is somewhere around 180-190. It depends upon whether I count samples. That is more than I will ever use even if I live to be 100. With the pandemic lockdown, I decided to go through my entire collection one by one in rotation. I have separated out those soaps that I do not enjoy using, either due to scent or performance. Those will be given away.

During 2021, I plan to focus on the top 75 soaps that I rate as Tier I (A to A+) level soaps on both performance and scent. Even the A- soaps won't make the cut this time around. That will leave another 75 soaps that will sit unused next year. My den is heavily weighted to some of the best soaps currently available.

Those top soaps are from artisans like Ariana and Evans, Barrister and Mann, Cold River Soap Works, Declaration Grooming, Gentleman's Nod, Grooming Dept, Highland Springs Soap Co. Hub City Soap, Murphy & McNeil, Nobel Otter, Oaken Lab, Wholly Kaw, and Zingari Man.

Although I do not need any new soaps, I am adding two Grooming Dept soaps to my den this Christmas. Then in 2021, I hope to add the Grooming Dept Mallard, Mammoth Soaps Tusk formula, and Ethos Grooming Essentials EOS formula to my den.

In use*: MdC Rose, SV Stella and Dolomiti and DRH Windsor.

In reserve: SV Felce, MWF/Fine Lavender mix and a couple small re-branded Fine soaps in orange and sandalwood (Belgian brand...same manufacturer...sold at CDN discount stores like Marshall’s)

* not really as I’m trying to 3017 a tube of Musgo Lime Basil

I tend to order soap in batches and try to stockpile roughly a 1-2 year supply. I then 3017 each one, trying to pick a seasonably appropriate choice. My most recent acquisition phase was influenced by a lot of time spent on the wicked_edge subreddit, which I rarely visit these days.

The current stockpile:
Stirling Ozark Mountain (in use)
SV Dolomiti
SV Tundra Artica
Sudsy Soapery Top O' the Morning
WK King of Oud
Noble Otter Rawr

Except for the Stirling currently in use, those are unused. I also have RazoRock What the Puck Blue which I have shaved with quite a bit and Zartgefuehl Ziegen Bart which I was hesitating to throw away until this thread reminded me I could use it as a shower soap, which is where it will certainly end up. I also have DR Harris Marlborough stick for travel.
So that is 9 soaps in all varieties total.

I did exactly this .. how many do you actually finish in a year typically?

Question : A lot or few ?
Answer : Currently soaps are at a few, soon they'll reach to enough.

I've got 8 soaps, 3 are on the way and I'm hell bent on getting 4 more (Oaken Lab), just trying to spread the expense evenly.

I'm being very choosy in addition of the soaps and I'm joining the Yearly GRUME 2021 as soon as the above soaps are acquired.
smirk-ryan-reynolds.gif

I did exactly this .. how many do you actually finish in a year typically?
This year I think I actually finished 3 and they were all soft (the Declaration Grooming was extremely soft). Trying to answer this question, I now realize I am very bad at keeping track/remembering. I was looking through my email receipts and there are soaps I have no recollection of using. I think I will join the 3017 thread in order to keep better track.

How about you: how many do you finish?

This year I think I actually finished 3 and they were all soft (the Declaration Grooming was extremely soft). Trying to answer this question, I now realize I am very bad at keeping track/remembering. I was looking through my email receipts and there are soaps I have no recollection of using. I think I will join the 3017 thread in order to keep better track.

How about you: how many do you finish?

By sheer coincidence I just was doing an inventory I have 9 now 8 (as I just opened one today) creams/soaps + a random collection of samples, so not too different from you. I originally promised myself I would not go the hoarding route as I find the soaps extremely long lasting ~4 months / soap feels right to me but got sucked into a Black Friday sale. Even though we are on the low side for this thread I think this is actually at a 3 year supply not a 2 year.

Variety is relatively low, but I have high stockpiles. * denotes a soap among the top 5. At the moment I use MWF and Tabac mainly.

Soaps:
Haslinger Schafmilch - 1 puck
La Toja stick* - 7 sticks plus 1 in use
Mitchell's Wool Fat* - 7 pucks plus 1 in use
Palmolive - 1 stick
Speick* - 2 sticks
Tabac* - 4 pucks plus 1 puck and 1 stick in use
Valobra Fougere - 4 pucks
Valobra Patchouly* - 4 pucks, plus 1 in use

Creams (1 tub each, both in use):
Geo F. Trumper Eucris
Geo F. Trumper Spanish Leather

#1 Ethos
Greenfresh
Dragons Blood
Success
Clean
#2 Noble Otter
Bare
Barrbarr
Firefighter
#3 B & M
Lavanille
Fougere Angelic
Le Grand Chypre
#4 MdC
Rose

This is what I am using, I have a long list of soaps that my Face did not like!

I’ve just realized as the thread starter I ought to list my modest soap collection. Here it is:
1 tubProraso Red
1 tub Proraso Green
1kg Cella
1 Tabac Stick
3 La Toja sticks
1 Pre de Provence 63
3 VdH glycerin
1 old puck Williams
Several old samples of Stirling
I also have 3 tubs of TOBS cream but that doesn’t count here, after all I asked about soaps! My goal is to whittle it all down to the Pre de Provence and the Cella. That is minimalist, what I’m striving for and they are indeed my favorite soaps. I see no need to add to those except when they get used up.

Razorhead

I'm at about 70-80. With a couple of exceptions, I have not purchased anything new over the past couple of years, and am just focused on using up what I have. Don't hold your breath.

It is hard to say what my favorites are, but I probably end up using a few brands more than others - Barrister & Mann, Tallow & Steel, Chiseled Face, and Wholly Kaw.

I had many soaps and creams. But I finally managed to either use or PiF them and I currently use a minimalist setup:

Proraso Red
Proraso Green
1 Artisan Soap I put in a vintage Avon Gentleman's Regiment mug. I use this on the weekends. Currently, I have Australian Private Reserve Mycroft in it, and will buy a new artisan soap only when this is used.

Avon.jpg

I'm at about 70-80. With a couple of exceptions, I have not purchased anything new over the past couple of years, and am just focused on using up what I have. Don't hold your breath.

It is hard to say what my favorites are, but I probably end up using a few brands more than others - Barrister & Mann, Tallow & Steel, Chiseled Face, and Wholly Kaw.

You have not purchased any new soaps in the last couple of years. What a shame.

The best soaps in my den were produced in the past couple of years. Many soaps from two years ago are pretty good, but they are nowhere near as good as the ones produced more recently. Barrister and Mann Excelsior if far superior to B&M Glissant and Reserve. Chiseled Face Silk tallow is better than their original tallow formula. Wholly Kaw Siero is far better than the Donkey Milk formula, and even Bufala, which is excellent in its own right.. Declaration Grooming Milksteak is far better than the earlier Bison Tallow and Icarus formulas. I could give you many other similar comparisons.

Some excellent artisans have come onto the scene in the couple of years: Ethos Grooming Essentials, Gentleman's Nod, Highland Springs Soap Co., Hub City Soap Co, Mammoth Soaps, Murphy and McNeil, Oaken Labs and Zingari Man. They have developed formulations that rival the best of the seasoned artisans.

Our fine soapmakers have been competing for top honors as the best performing shaving soap. Currently, I believe the two top artisans are Peter Charkalis of Ariana and Evans/The Shaving Shop Club, and Mohammad Abed of Grooming Department. Their current formulations are simply phenomenal. Those two have probably worked the hardest at developing new formulations and scents and their products show it.

Even if you are satisfied with the performance of your current favorites, at least try a couple of the new releases.

You have not purchased any new soaps in the last couple of years. What a shame.

The best soaps in my den were produced in the past couple of years. Many soaps from two years ago are pretty good, but they are nowhere near as good as the ones produced more recently. Barrister and Mann Excelsior if far superior to B&M Glissant and Reserve. Chiseled Face Silk tallow is better than their original tallow formula. Wholly Kaw Siero is far better than the Donkey Milk formula, and even Bufala, which is excellent in its own right.. Declaration Grooming Milksteak is far better than the earlier Bison Tallow and Icarus formulas. I could give you many other similar comparisons.

Some excellent artisans have come onto the scene in the couple of years: Ethos Grooming Essentials, Gentleman's Nod, Highland Springs Soap Co., Hub City Soap Co, Mammoth Soaps, Murphy and McNeil, Oaken Labs and Zingari Man. They have developed formulations that rival the best of the seasoned artisans.

Our fine soapmakers have been competing for top honors as the best performing shaving soap. Currently, I believe the two top artisans are Peter Charkalis of Ariana and Evans/The Shaving Shop Club, and Mohammad Abed of Grooming Department. Their current formulations are simply phenomenal. Those two have probably worked the hardest at developing new formulations and scents and their products show it.

Even if you are satisfied with the performance of your current favorites, at least try a couple of the new releases.
See, this is what gets me in trouble! :) As I said, I did buy a couple of soaps over the past couple of years - B&M Excelsior and Soft Heart. Both bases are bangers for sure. Would you say that some of the other new bases you mentioned are in the same league as Excelsior and Soft Heart? Am I missing out by not getting some of these other soaps?

See, this is what gets me in trouble! :) As I said, I did buy a couple of soaps over the past couple of years - B&M Excelsior and Soft Heart. Both bases are bangers for sure. Would you say that some of the other new bases you mentioned are in the same league as Excelsior and Soft Heart? Am I missing out by not getting some of these other soaps?

I have not tried SoftHeart. It is released infrequently in very small batches and I have not been able to grab one before it is sold out. However, I expect it to be up there with the best.

I put Excelsior at the bottom end of my Tier I soaps. The soaps that I consider to be even better are: Ariana and Evans Kaisen base, Declaration Grooming Milksteak base, Gentleman's Nod Cardinal base, Grooming Dept Kairos and also Nai bases, Oaken Labs V3 base, Wholly Kaw Siero base, and Zingari Man Sego base. These are in the same class as B&M SoftHeart.

I have not tried it, but I understand that Noble Otter has a new base represented by the Firefighter scent that falls into the same category. I have also heard good things about Mammoth Soaps Tusk formula and Ethos Grooming Essentials EOS formula, but I have not yet been able to secure these.

A&E also has a updated V2 version of Kaisen that is available only to members of The Shaving Shop Club. It may be the absolute best soap currently available according to Ruds Shaves, but I have not yet tried it.

Top Bottom