What's new

How Many Shaves

I don't even try to maximize blade life... It doesn't matter what blade I use but they are done somewhere between 3-5 shaves.

This.

Each Sunday I load up new blades into whichever two razors I've chosen to "stand duty" in my counter-top stand that week. My stand is one of those basic 2x brush / 2x razor things - don't remember who made it. I generally alternate razors and brushes every other day, so they have time to dry -- so, each one gets used 3-4 times/week. In this way, I get to change up what I'm using a bit each week, without overthinking things.

I am a little new to wet shaving so I usually use a blade 3 times and then try another brand to see what I like. So far I like Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue and Gillette 7’oclock green super stainless. i have a few more coming to try out this week or the next. Voshkod are the only ones I’ve tried so far that I did not like (a little tugging) but read that I should to try them again in a different razor or different plate in the case of my Rockwell 6S.

This is one of the most frequently asked question on the forum and perhaps the least relevant.

Feather Artist Club single edge blades are expensive at something around $1 each, but because they are thicker and stiffer than DE blades, they tend to last longer. Most DE blades can be purchased in bulk for 7-15 cents each. Even the most expensive DE blades can be obtained in bulk for about 40 cents per blade. Thus, you should change the blade whenever it feels too dull to slice through your beard easily or if it begins to feel harsh on your skin.

Shavers differ in the coarseness of their beard and the sensitivity of their skin. There are some shavers with fine beards and tough skin who can get several weeks or even months using a single blade. There are others who feel it necessary to change their blades before every shave. Most fall somewhere in between these extremes.

I do not like using Feather blades. While they are some of the more expensive blades, the edge deteriorates so quickly that I can only get two good shaves from a Feather before the edge starts to feel harsh on my face. With many blades, I can get 3-4 good shaves on average.

My practice is to use a different razor and blade for each of my four shave passes. With that method, I might get 5-6 WTG passes on a single blade, but I might get 20 clean-up passes since there is very little stubble left on my face by the time I get to that 4th pass. So I just change blades whenever it is no longer doing its job as well as I expect. I do not risk irritation by pushing a blade beyond its capability.

I have gotten into the habit of picking a razor for the week. It gets loaded with a blade on Sunday and used for the week. New blade and maybe a different razor again Sunday. Might be 7 shaves, might be 3.

Any brand ofblade that wont last the week will not be purchased again.

I use my favorite blades only 3 times (unless I forget whatever I've used a blade once or twice). With everything else, it's mostly once or twice, depending on how good the blades are, but with some I can go up to 3.

After years of shaving I came to the conclusion that after the 3rd shave, the blades are losing most of their sharpness and smoothness and changing the blades more often means that my shaves are more consistent and I don't like changing blades in the middle of my shaving. I wish I shave 10 or more times with a single DE blade, but it's just not possible.

Top Bottom