What's new

How Many Shaves

I usually bin after a single shave..it just feels so effortless with a new blade.. I can use Most blades it's 2-3 shaves before they start tugging.

I tossed a Nacet today after four excellent 3+ pass shaves. I'm sure the blade could have gone longer but I have hundreds and hundreds of blades so tomorrow is a fresh blade.

No matter what DE blade I use, Four three pass shaves is the most I can get comfortably. How about you?

Feathers and Astras last me 1 shave, some other blades are dead halfway through one shave and I need to swap to complete the shave. Using any blade twice will result in multiple weepers and heavy razor burn. I'm talking about 1-4 days of growth, not paul bunyan hipster beards.

Feathers and Astras last me 1 shave, some other blades are dead halfway through one shave and I need to swap to complete the shave. Using any blade twice will result in multiple weepers and heavy razor burn. I'm talking about 1-4 days of growth, not paul bunyan hipster beards.
Can you tell us what blade lasts the longest number of days? according to your experience

I can get 10+ shaves from a KCG. Most others run no more than 7. I have KCG, Gillette PP ((Brazil) which can give 20 good shaves) German Wilkies, and Lab Blues in my rotations.

Can you tell us what blade lasts the longest number of days? according to your experience

I am not sure I really understand the question. I stated that for me, no blade lasts for more than one shave and many blades only last me half a shave. Your mileage may vary :)

I've found that blade longevity varies with technique. Since shifting to wetter slicker lather my shaves per blade has increased significantly from 3-12 (varies by brand) to roughly 5 - 20+. Currently using a Dorco Prime that has 15 shaves under it's belt.

I use three brands of blade, Dorco (both Prime and Stainless), Astra SP and Derby Extra. Dorco's (newer Vietnam production) are at the higher end of the blade longevity spectrum, Derby's lower and Astra in the middle though I occassionally see outliers like a recent Derby blade that went for over 20 shaves.

Shave quality, for me, is similar across all my blades with the exception of my Dorco Primes where the first shave is slightly rougher as the extra coating is worn through. The only real difference is longevity.

Note that blades wear via microchipping so based on beard characteristics (density, hair diameter, etc.) and shaving real estate (e.g. head shavers vs. just trim around beard) this is an area where YMMV will heavily apply.

I've found that Dorco blades are often highly underrated. Currently use the stainless (ST300 & ST301) as well as the prime blades that deliver lots of excellent shaves (see my post #54 above). Link below to a detailed thread. You need to make sure you are getting newer made in Vietnam production.

I aim for 10 per blade doing either 2 passes (wtg atg) or 3 (wtg xtg atg). Some I can push a few more out of, some don’t quite make it to 10. I typically use various types of Lord, Treet, Rapira, and Vidyut Super Max blades. Rapira Platinum Lux, Ladas SS, Vidyut Super Max Platinum, Lord Platinum, and Treet Durasharp blades seem to hold their edge the best for me. Gillettes I’ve found their performance to deteriorate quicker, are nowhere near as sharp for me as I expected based on all the rave reviews, and also shave rougher to me, so when I have nothing else around to use, any Gillette blade is 3 and done. The Silver Blues worked the best for me by far out of all other Gillettes so I’d keep them in use longer, about 10 shaves or so.

Top Bottom