What's new

How Many Shaves

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The blades I used to use with any regularity were Israeli Personna, Crystal, and Gillette Silver Blue. I could push any of those beyond a month but usually called it time for a change after two to three weeks. Nearly a year ago I shifted to Personna Lab Blues. I like the price, the minimal packaging, the made in USA factor, and the shave. They perform quite a lot like the ones I just listed. I got much shorter blade life with Feather and Astra, although the Feather shaves great, and I am not an Astra fan. Nacets were in the middle, about ten days max.

Welcome to B&B!

There are some variables here. Namely coarseness of beard.

I dont have a heavy beard. So, I generally get 5 two-pass shaves out of a blade.
I Use Astra SP exclusively.

Again, welcome!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I can usually get 7 shaves out of a blade. Sometimes they feel like they are done after four or five shaves but I persist. I have pushed a Feather to 14 shaves and the blade lasted reasonably fine.

I don't even try to maximize blade life. I'm a daily BBS requirement shaver with a medium-light beard. It doesn't matter what blade I use but they are done somewhere between 3-5 shaves. I don't get pushing for more shaves out of something that costs 10-25 cents a blade. If I get five shaves out of a Feather that cost me a quarter (I laid in a supply a few years ago as it's my favorite blade), that's five cents a shave. That's just $18.25 a YEAR!

I have a medium beard but after the forth shave The blade doesn't feel as smooth so I put it in the disposal container. I like the feeling of a very sharp blade with no resistance at all.

I consider any blade that gives me less than eight shaves a bad blade. OK blade gives 16 shaves. Good blades last over 30 shaves.
I have a light - medium beard and light hair. My do every other day a double shave (face and head shave). I have a goatee, that means shaving are has light beard.

My Personna reds (Israeli) 2-3 great shaves, the vintage Silver Knights 2-3 good shaves. Feathers 1-2 good shaves if I'm lucky.
My thick and strong hair wreaks havoc on blades.

I will use a blade for a week's worth of 3 to 4 pass shaves. Now I may pick up a straight a couple of times in that week and/or an SE also, but at the beginning of the work week, I grab new blades. At the price of a new blade, I see no reason to push a shave when I can know I will get comfort if used for only one week. And that's 6 shaves max.

And BTW, Welcome to B&B.

Five for me.

Shaving every other day, one blade lasts10 days, or approximately 35 blades per year and costs me less that $4.00. If I do the math, I have enough blades to last well over 30 years.

I usually use a blade 3-5 times before switching. I generally switch razors at that time too. Sometimes I can feel the need to change blades, but most the time I'll change regardless. Blades are cheap.

Top Bottom