What's new

How Many Shaves?

I think that when you’re truly comfortable shaving and honing your SR, you’ll find that you don’t nick yourself any more that anything else, maybe less. Unless you’re like me and try all sorts of different things, lol.

I found that many of my problems are shaving around my beard since it changes the angles and strokes a lot. I've decided to use some course management principles from golf lol. I'm starting off with diagonal XTG strokes near the side of my mustache and when I've cleared about an inch I'll start with the sideburn strokes. That keeps me from awkward heel strokes near my extended goatee area.

I thought about this thread when I shaved this morning. Thought about where I am now. I have no idea how many shaves I have accomplished. But I’ve been at it for a while.

I concluded that I’m about a 7/10 on the confidence scale. Very comfortable shaving with a straight. And even to the point where it’s my preferred method of shaving.

I can say that my skill increased exponentially when I dedicated myself to shaving with a straight daily. Before that I would only shave with a straight on weekends and it seemed like my abilities never really advance too much.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Chango I am a firm believer that to learn your SR shaving technique you need to shave daily with an SR. When I started I forced myself to shave daily with an SR and am glad that I did. SR shaving daily is the best way to reinforce those skills that you learnt the day before.

@Chango I am a firm believer that to learn your SR shaving technique you need to shave daily with an SR. When I started I forced myself to shave daily with an SR and am glad that I did. SR shaving daily is the best way to reinforce those skills that you learnt the day before.

I actually shaved twice a day a couple of times just to get a rhythm going and I think that really did help. Today I shaved with my new Dovo Best Quality 5/8 and had my first bloodless shave with a true straight. I couldn't feel any irritation until the alumn hit and that wasn't too bad either, so I'm getting a little more comfortable now.

I think I gave myself a huge handicap learning but trying to keep my extended goatee as it adds to the complexity. I am experimenting with an inverted hold around the beard so I can use the toe to clean up around the beard on the right side. It's a little awkward right now, but I saw a professional barber using it and it seems to be the best option for that area.

I'm really looking forward to increasing my skill and getting a nice smooth shave soon!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@dabrock I dare say that you are experiencing more shaving enjoyment with each SR shave that you perform. This will continue for hundreds of more SR shaves. It is for me.

So a real milestone today, or at least in my books, I was finally able to have a really smooth shave with my Bismark. I had been working with my AC SS, Dovo Best Quality 5/8, and even a couple of shaves on a very cheap, plastic 1/2 DE shavette that I picked up from Sally's Beauty Supply years ago for about $10. All of those were going well so I decided to try the Bismark today to see how well I have been progressing using the larger blade and it a lot easier than I had feared. Even the alum block was only mildly upset with me in a few places. It's starting to come together.

Motor skill acquisition is such an interesting topic that has always fascinated me, and I can see how I've progressed from a suicide risk to shaving like I actually know how to hold a SR. I look forward to becoming more proficient so that I can shave almost without a thought.

Shaving without thought and shaving without concentration are two entirely different things.

Absolutely! I'm thinking about how it is now with DEs and SEs where it's an automatic process that I don't have to think about everything I'm doing, but I'm still concentrating and making sure I'm not running off the rails.

The thing about SR shaving is the learning curve tends to be very short. Either you learn quickly or you get injured and give up trying. Three or four attempts max. Once you learn the basics then building confidence with your SR skills takes time. Being over confident with a SR is generally tempting fate.

Once you learn the basics then building confidence with your SR skills takes time. Being over confident with a SR is generally tempting fate.
I can vouch first-hand for this advise. Still have the scar to prove it too. That was also the last time I did any major damage while using a straight.

The thing about SR shaving is the learning curve tends to be very short. Either you learn quickly or you get injured and give up trying. Three or four attempts max. Once you learn the basics then building confidence with your SR skills takes time. Being over confident with a SR is generally tempting fate.

Well, the doctor said I'll be able to walk again in a few months. 🤣

Top Bottom