What's new

How Many Shaves?

As I'm still learning how to avoid taking my life with a sharp piece of metal at my throat, I was wonder how many shaves it took people here to finally feel confident with straight razor shaving. I've heard about 20-25 shaves, but was wondering what most people feel is that golden number where you don't feel like you are going to need the ambulance on speed dial.

At about 20-25 or so I was finally starting to focus on hair removal rather than not trying to shave too close to blood. At that point my shaves weren’t the greatest but was certainly on the right track.

At about 20-25 or so I was finally starting to focus on hair removal rather than not trying to shave too close to blood. At that point my shaves weren’t the greatest but was certainly on the right track.

It's certainly not the easiest way to shave but it is a fun challenge.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It took me about 30 SR shaves to develop a feeling of basic confidence. I'm a slow learner but I do learn. By about 100 SR shaves, I was in control of all aspects of my SR shaves. From then on it was just refining my technique and trying different things; SR's, brushes, soaps, aftershaves, etc.

Now with over 500 SR shaves, I still learn something new with each shave!

It took me about 30 SR shaves to develop a feeling of basic confidence. I'm a slow learner but I do learn. By about 100 SR shaves, I was in control of all aspects of my SR shaves. From then on it was just refining my technique and trying different things; SR's, brushes, soaps, aftershaves, etc.

Now with over 500 SR shaves, I still learn something new with each shave!

I am definitely looking forward to getting to the journeyman level of shaving with a SR!

As you will come to know, assuming you persist, it is more than that. It's not just the best way to shave. It is, in a way, the only way to shave.

I'm starting to really love the challenge and I can see it being my primary method, apart from those times I'm in a bit of a hurry, or just want a change of pace. Even Anthony Esposito uses DEs now and then!

The smoothest, mildest SR edge is the first one after honing.

I usually get 20-30 shaves on an edge but I have gotten 153 on a Filly 14 Sub Cero, and 65 on a Japanese Cape 1000.

Interesting, thanks, a slightly different answer than I was looking for but much appreciated because I did have a question about honing medium and longevity. I understand that the hardness of the steel is a major determinant of edge longevity, but does the type of stone used for honing also affect how long you can shave before a refresh?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
For some reason, the ingredients list on the C&S website is different:

Sodium Palmate, Sodium Tallowate, Aqua (Water), Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Lecithin, Petrolatum, Zea Mays Oil, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Chloride, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Geraniol, Linalool, Citronellol, Hydroxy Citronellal, Limonene, Oakmoss Absolute, C.I. 77499, C.I. 17789.

Wondering whether they've simply yet to update the packaging ingredients label.
Interesting, thanks, a slightly different answer than I was looking for but much appreciated because I did have a question about honing medium and longevity. I understand that the hardness of the steel is a major determinant of edge longevity, but does the type of stone used for honing also affect how long you can shave before a refresh?

Lol, well I hope than my answer was useful in a way. But yes, I’ll normally touch up at about 20-30 shaves.

The answer to your last question I do not know, but I would like to do a little test to see if the medium (at least different Jnats) is a factor in edge longevity. My instinct tells me yes, and I’d like to devise a test, but testing one razor took over a year even using it more than normally, testing two is almost not worth the time.

Lol, well I hope than my answer was useful in a way. But yes, I’ll normally touch up at about 20-30 shaves.

The answer to your last question I do not know, but I would like to do a little test to see if the medium (at least different Jnats) is a factor in edge longevity. My instinct tells me yes, and I’d like to devise a test, but testing one razor took over a year even using it more than normally, testing two is almost not worth the time.

Let me know if you do such a test. I just ordered an Imperia stone so I could try a less expensive natural finishing stone. I'm curious to see if the edge is smoother like I've heard with naturals.

I like the Imperia, I hope it works out for you.
Back to the original question, there is no number. You will know you are fully there when you don't have the urge any longer to tell everybody you meet about your new straight razor habit. Then you will just be shaving (the way men should).

I like the Imperia, I hope it works out for you.
Back to the original question, there is no number. You will know you are fully there when you don't have the urge any longer to tell everybody you meet about your new straight razor habit. Then you will just be shaving (the way men should).

I haven't had that desire yet, I think they can see the results. 🤣

Today wasn't fun, I had cramps in my hands and forearms, which made it both tricky and painful to shave in areas, but I muddled through. The first pass on the neck was a bit of a horror show, but I settled in and found a good rhythm for the second, which was much better. I think I need to develop more patience and take more small strokes. I found the idea of not touching the skin until the razor was in motion, mentioned on another thread, to be a helpful tip.

We all learn and shave at different rates but I found that at about 30 shaves I was getting comfortable bbs going in all directions with both hands. But after 100 I was way more comfortable, and after 300 much more again. Then after 600, then 1000 and it’s still getting better all the time. I’m still learning the absolute optimal areas to stretch, the precise razor angles to hit the beard from. It just keeps giving. I almost never use a DE anymore as I no longer like the feel of the blade. How can I go back to a horse blanket when I’ve been sleeping in silk sheets?

We all learn and shave at different rates but I found that at about 30 shaves I was getting comfortable bbs going in all directions with both hands. But after 100 I was way more comfortable, and after 300 much more again. Then after 600, then 1000 and it’s still getting better all the time. I’m still learning the absolute optimal areas to stretch, the precise razor angles to hit the beard from. It just keeps giving. I almost never use a DE anymore as I no longer like the feel of the blade. How can I go back to a horse blanket when I’ve been sleeping in silk sheets?

It's interesting you mention the feel of the blade for a DE since I would have thought that a naked blade has far more blade feel than one nestled between a baseplate and cap but I think I'm getting the idea that you can do less scrapping, and thus get less irritation, from a straight by optimizing the angle of the blade.

It’s odd. When I was DE shaving I loved the blades feel, but once I got used to the silky feel of the straight, the DE just suffered terribly by comparison.
This straight edge I now use has been dialled in to my very own face by me, over years trying different abrasives, two steps forward, one step back, lots of honing, lots of shaves. It’s an organic, living, breathing edge, made by me, reflecting all my talents and imperfections.
Not a ‘one size fits all’ stamped out by a machine.
This is why a Picasso line drawing is worth millions while a computer generated pastiche is worthless.

I got lucky.I had a really easy Journey into straight razor shaving…I have never suffered any serious cuts.I started using both hands at the start.
At about 30 shaves I was pretty confident.I’m only at 100 or so now..But I have been using just a straight razor for the last 90 or so shaves.
After about the 10 shave I stopped cleaning up with a safety razor and have been getting a little better with each shave..At about 75 shaves I started to get better shaves than I got with my safety razor..
I have been able to finally get BBS shaves without all the irritation I used to get with carts or DE.So there is a learning curve no doubt..But there is also a great reward for the effort!

I got lucky.I had a really easy Journey into straight razor shaving…I have never suffered any serious cuts.I started using both hands at the start.
At about 30 shaves I was pretty confident.I’m only at 100 or so now..But I have been using just a straight razor for the last 90 or so shaves.
After about the 10 shave I stopped cleaning up with a safety razor and have been getting a little better with each shave..At about 75 shaves I started to get better shaves than I got with my safety razor..
I have been able to finally get BBS shaves without all the irritation I used to get with carts or DE.So there is a learning curve no doubt..But there is also a great reward for the effort!

Sounds like you took to it very quickly. What did you start with?

I started with a sight unseen shave ready razor.One of those deals like 40 dollars for a old vintage razor that’s sharp.
Most of those I’ve seen are older cleaned up vintage razors with some hone wear.
It’s nothing special,it was my first straight shave so I keep it as is now that I have other razors.
I also bought a old vintage razor to practice honing.So they both arrived around the same time.I just started slow,Like others have stated You learn a little each time you shave.
869B9BF4-01BA-4EE9-A65F-A3E6ACA71941.jpeg

The razor in the pic was my first shave ready razor.The sight unseen razor

Top Bottom