What's new

How Many Shaves Per Blade?

On the ads for some DE razors at BestGroomingTools.com they state,
"Use any brand of double edge razor blade which vary in price from 20 to 55 cents each and may give from one to four shaves per blade depending on the brand and your beard."

Well, I don't know if they're talking four passes per shave or only one pass, but regardless, that seems an awfully low number of shaves per blade to me. When I used to DE shave decades ago, it was only after four or five shaves that I thought the blade was broken in - that it would stop nicking me with any minor error - and I'd then happily use it for another month before I had to break another one in.

My question for experienced DE shavers is - on average, how many shaves does a blade last you, at how many passes per shave?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Renato

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Renato:
I think this Thread will be of great interest to you. :thumbsup:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/290099-How-many-shaves-do-you-get-from-one-blade

attachment.php
“A razor [blade] can’t be sharpened ona piece of velvet”. Author Unknown

Renato:
I think this Thread will be of great interest to you. :thumbsup:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/290099-How-many-shaves-do-you-get-from-one-blade

attachment.php
“A razor [blade] can’t be sharpened ona piece of velvet”. Author Unknown

Thanks very much for that.

Judging by their responses, where most agree with the statement above, I guess I could ask them to send me their used blades, as they still have plenty of mileage left in them on my face. Anyhow, it was good to see three responses of people who used a blade for two weeks to 40 times, I'm not entirely alone.

I saw your response, and I agree that shaving gets worse for ingrown hairs when the razor is blunt, but for me that occurred three or four weeks out. But then again I haven't tired any new blade yet, I'm still using a fresh packet from over 30 years ago.
Cheers,
Renato

Last edited:
As cheap as blades are, I always do 2 shaves per blade and 3 on the Feather blades. Only personal choice with that choice. I just see it as a way to enjoy a new sharp blade with every single shave.

I had been doing two passes, and then using the same blade for 4 days. This week I started doing 3 passes, I've used the same Wilkinson Sword ($1.76 for 10 in Walmart!) for 5 days. I'm planning to see how far it will go. CCS, almost BBS, so far (neck is always a challenge, though).

I had been doing two passes, and then using the same blade for 4 days. This week I started doing 3 passes, I've used the same Wilkinson Sword ($1.76 for 10 in Walmart!) for 5 days. I'm planning to see how far it will go. CCS, almost BBS, so far (neck is always a challenge, though).

It'll be interesting to see how far you get with it. I'm on 8 shaves so far with my Wilkinson sword blade.

Would you believe that in Australia 10 piece Wilkinson sword packs are sold everywhere, and they go for just over $13 in supermarkets, and $16 in a shave shop chain? (and our dollar is on par with yours) DE is an expensive pastime down here if one doesn't go on-line.
Cheers,
Renato

Last edited:
I think things like this are the reason for the phrase:

YMMV

I think there are too many variables to make for any one set of rules. Use 'em till you don't feel they do the job you want. At this price point, anything - including one shave per blade - is fair game in my book.

As cheap as blades are, I always do 2 shaves per blade and 3 on the Feather blades. Only personal choice with that choice. I just see it as a way to enjoy a new sharp blade with every single shave.

I think that's the difference between us. You enjoy a sharp blade, I view it with trepidation.
Cheers,
Renato

I think things like this are the reason for the phrase:

YMMV

I think there are too many variables to make for any one set of rules. Use 'em till you don't feel they do the job you want. At this price point, anything - including one shave per blade - is fair game in my book.

Thanks, you are right of course.
I knew that Mileage May Vary but I just hadn't realised how much mine varied from that of most others.

Regards,
Renato

I usually do 4-5 shaves one a blade, but now you have me wondering if I should try for more. After all, it's only my face at stake!

I usually do 4-5 shaves one a blade, but now you have me wondering if I should try for more. After all, it's only my face at stake!

Don't think of it that way.
Rather think of it as very good method of testing ot the efficacy of al those aftershave soothing/razor burn-relief/ comfort balms and gels that you have. It'll sort out the wheat from the chaff in no time.

When I was using a blade for a month, I was exclusively using Proraso aftershave cream - mainly because aftershave balms hadn't reached Australia yet - and my barber had put me onto Proraso which he sold, but I couldn't find anywhere else.
Cheers,
Renato

1-4 depending on the blade.

Thanks. What exactly makes you decide the blade has had it?

Cognisant of this topic, I foolishly tried a new Gillette Super Thin in my Merkur 25C today. I should have been more careful, and am enjoying reliving old memories and sensations - the joy of razor burn (makes one not take one's face for granted). Next shave, and it may be in three days time, I'm going back to my broken in Wilkinson Sword blade with 8 or 9 shaves to its credit.
Cheers,
Renato

I guess when it comes to the length of time we use each blade each of us set the bar for performance at a different level. Right now I am using the Walmart Wilkinsons.
Due to their availability and cost I will shave with one of those two to three times tops. The Gillette Blacks,Nacet Platinum's and Astra SP's get about five to six shaves per blade. The Walmart Wilkies aren't as smooth as the others that I mentioned. For me anyways.

I guess when it comes to the length of time we use each blade each of us set the bar for performance at a different level. Right now I am using the Walmart Wilkinsons.
Due to their availability and cost I will shave with one of those two to three times tops. The Gillette Blacks,Nacet Platinum's and Astra SP's get about five to six shaves per blade. The Walmart Wilkies aren't as smooth as the others that I mentioned. For me anyways.
I guess it depends where the Wilkinson swords are made. My old packet was made in England. A newer packet I picked up was made in China. Another packet in a shave shop was made in Brazil.
Renato

Thanks. What exactly makes you decide the blade has had it?

Cognisant of this topic, I foolishly tried a new Gillette Super Thin in my Merkur 25C today. I should have been more careful, and am enjoying reliving old memories and sensations - the joy of razor burn (makes one not take one's face for granted). Next shave, and it may be in three days time, I'm going back to my broken in Wilkinson Sword blade with 8 or 9 shaves to its credit.
Cheers,
Renato
when it gets painful (tugging/pulling instead of cutting) to shave my neck area i change blades.

Top Bottom