What's new

How Many Shaves Per Blade?

I'm still fairly new at this, but I've been doing four to six shaves per blade. It seems to me that my Shark Stainlesses start sharper than my Wilkinsons, but they also get duller faster.

Would you believe that in Australia 10 piece Wilkinson sword packs are sold everywhere, and they go for just over $13 in supermarkets, and $16 in a shave shop chain? (and our dollar is on par with yours) DE is an expensive pastime down here if one doesn't go on-line.
Cheers,
Renato

Holy crap! A ten-pack of Wilkinsons is under $2 at Walmart here.

I'm still fairly new at this, but I've been doing four to six shaves per blade. It seems to me that my Shark Stainlesses start sharper than my Wilkinsons, but they also get duller faster.
And at least one eBay seller offers 100 packs of Personna Lab-Blue for about $15 shipped CONUS.

Which may be part of the reason that we figure 3-4 shaves is more than enough and Renato feels the need to push the envelope.

Thanks. Amazing isn't it?
Fortunately we have three local on-line dealers who bring us blades as cheap as yours, though none stock Wilkinson Sword.
Regards,
Renato

And at least one eBay seller offers 100 packs of Personna Lab-Blue for about $15 shipped CONUS.

Which may be part of the reason that we figure 3-4 shaves is more than enough and Renato feels the need to push the envelope.

Yes, you get 10 X the blades for our typical retail price. Things are always cheaper in the USA.

I don't really feel like I need to push the envelope. With standard foams and gels, I hated a sharp blade for the first few days. Since discovering the Bruce on Shaving site, and now this site, I've discovered that with good soaps and creams I do not have to fear a sharp blade any more - though I still have to be wary.

But you are correct in one respect, I suspect given that blades were relatively as expensive then as they are now, most people from decades ago down here - my father included - would use a blade for a lot longer that what people are using them for now.
Cheers,
Renato

Last edited:
Indeed... and at nearly $30 for an 8-pack, we're always hearing about Fusion users taking about getting 3 months out of a cart.
Personally, I use the Fusion for my headshave when I don't feel like spending the time to use a straight, and I won't go more than 5-7 shaves.

Indeed... and at nearly $30 for an 8-pack, we're always hearing about Fusion users taking about getting 3 months out of a cart.
Personally, I use the Fusion for my headshave when I don't feel like spending the time to use a straight, and I won't go more than 5-7 shaves.

From memory, it's about $31 for a six pack of standard Fusion blades and $40 for a six pack of Pro Glide ones down here - again, much cheaper where you are. My one cartridge has been going nicely for over two weeks of shaves. That said, the housebrand 5 blade cartridges from the different supermarkets are a lot cheaper, at around $8 for a four pack. I own one such, but haven't tested it out thoroughly yet.
Cheers,
Renato

I get ingrown hairs pretty bad as soon as the blade starts going dull, and that's why I switched to DE - to always have a new (sharp) blade without costing a fortune. I toss a blade after three shaves, and due to a couple recent alerts here on the forum I just bought two and a half years worth of blades for $23 shipped. Cant beat that.

I get ingrown hairs pretty bad as soon as the blade starts going dull, and that's why I switched to DE - to always have a new (sharp) blade without costing a fortune. I toss a blade after three shaves, and due to a couple recent alerts here on the forum I just bought two and a half years worth of blades for $23 shipped. Cant beat that.

Thanks for your input.
Well, that's an extremely good reason for switching blades frequently.
Regards,
Renato

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
On the ads for some DE razors at BestGroomingTools.com they state,
"Use any brand of double edge razor blade which vary in price from 20 to 55 cents each and may give from one to four shaves per blade depending on the brand and your beard."

Well, I don't know if they're talking four passes per shave or only one pass, but regardless, that seems an awfully low number of shaves per blade to me. When I used to DE shave decades ago, it was only after four or five shaves that I thought the blade was broken in - that it would stop nicking me with any minor error - and I'd then happily use it for another month before I had to break another one in.

My question for experienced DE shavers is - on average, how many shaves does a blade last you, at how many passes per shave?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Renato

Interesting. When Wilkinson Sword Blades first came out in the late 1950s-early 1960s, it seemed like you could shave forever with them.

I think older blades were sold at a better quality
ment to last, maybe even a thicker steel judging from the ones I have seen.

I go 3 or so, because irritation sucks, I dont want to risk it.

Interesting. When Wilkinson Sword Blades first came out in the late 1950s-early 1960s, it seemed like you could shave forever with them.

Well, I have a 30 year old packet, and I have a new packet of Wilkinson Sword. I'll see how long I go with the old one, then try the new one and see if they are equivalent or not.

Cheers,
Renato

Top Bottom