What's new

How Many Shaves - Feather AC/SS version - Guard

As a follow-up, I shaved with freshly finished GD today. Three pass. It is not the same as a Feather, of course, but the shave was comfortable and it was DFS. I say that to say that I think I was right about the Feather being done within the parameters I set out to begin with. The GD three-pass shave was better than the two-pass+ Feather.

I think the Feather blade would still work well for a true three pass shave. That wasn't part of this experiment so I won't give a blow-by-blow account but I'll leave it in my rotation for a couple of times to see how it works out.

BTW: I missed the hell out of the smaller Feather blade - especially around my neck hollow where the Feather was exceptional. I had to turn into Elastic Man to get atg with the GD.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I like the smaller blades for left to right XTG on the upper lip too. After 6 months with a kamisori the longer westerns seem unwieldy to me.

Very nicely done Ladykate- I'm still going strong on my counting

I've kept the Guard blade in my rotation - did a three pass plus touch up with it yesterday and it was a nice shave. In comparison, I did a three pass today with a GD that I had built and not tested and it was pretty much the same outcome with the GD being slightly better - very little touch up was needed. However, the GD was really harsh (I finished it on .3 micron). After the first half pass with the GD, I took it to the CrO2 and did 30 strokes and then stropped it 30. Wow... big difference in comfort. I'm afraid my attention to comfort with this test has made me pickier with the blades and how they behave.

OK. It's done. I got 19 shaves out of the blade. The last one was today. Had I been able to strop it, I would have continued on for a bit but it was a Guard blade. The shave was a four pass and it is obvious that it is time to retire the blade. I could go on but I would be beating my face.

This was a great learning experience for me. The mildness of the blade for the last 12 or 13 shaves was remarkable. A few of the shaves were among the best I have experienced. I haven't had a weeper for so long that I'm afraid to try a sharp Feather blade. There will be blood.

I've got a new Kai blade sitting on the ready line - will use it tomorrow. Pray for me.

OK. It's done. I got 19 shaves out of the blade. The last one was today. Had I been able to strop it, I would have continued on for a bit but it was a Guard blade. The shave was a four pass and it is obvious that it is time to retire the blade. I could go on but I would be beating my face.

This was a great learning experience for me. The mildness of the blade for the last 12 or 13 shaves was remarkable. A few of the shaves were among the best I have experienced. I haven't had a weeper for so long that I'm afraid to try a sharp Feather blade. There will be blood.

I've got a new Kai blade sitting on the ready line - will use it tomorrow. Pray for me.
Good luck brother, I will pray for no to minimal blood. Remember all bleeding eventually stops-by coagulation or lack of pulse pressure. In your case I hope the former.

A lot of these blades actually get smoother after the initial sharpness has dissipated. I once used a KAI Mild in a Shavette type razor for well over 2 months. I don't shave every day (or even every other day) but I'd say it was 40+ shaves.

Top Bottom